• john-silverburg - November 3, 2013 2:17 p.m.

For sure anyone who beat this game on ironman on classic worked around the system to beat it or just played it over and over through the beginning part at least to get a good start. I just tried playing it yesterday on classic regular and i've had to repeat the second mission 3 times before the game would let me beat the mission without losing a team member. Then on the third mission the first alien i encounter snipes my assault who has defensive bonus ability (corporal rank(my only corporal and highest ranked soilder i have)) when she's behind cover from long distance, first shot she's dead 6hp damage it was the first shot fired at her too. Also all three of the times i had to repeat the 2nd mission to make sure no one died when they did die they were all behind FULL cover when they got one shot and also it was from long distance. I think this sort of thing is just retarded. I mean how are they getting critical shots so easily on my guys behind full cover from maximum range? Also they have plasma pistols and when i finally unlock those things they most damage i think i've seen them do when my colonel ranked super soliders use them is 5.... Which would have allowed my corporal to survive that bs maximum distance critical shot. but somehow they manage to do 6 hp damage. I just think it's stupid that something like this can happen seemingly so easily and it just seems like the game is cheating to screw you over. So idk this game is one that i believe impossible iron man really is impossible to beat. If anyone told me they did it i'd for sure need proof to even consider believing them.
  • RunningMan - April 8, 2013 1:06 a.m.

I have never died to beserker yet or been hit by one. But I never stay in their range. Thank god for the long range of the support class though. Besides I will bait them in to my soldiers one shot at a time getting the highest percent shots and advantageous sight lines. Support class bait soldiers and overwatch are key. Setup a defensive overwatch line every turn with a long range support soldier to make first contact in the open. Second contact is assault with lightning reflexes. Snipers with squadsight and damngood ground in the back and moved last. Heavy soldiers are crowd control. And personally workshops are only critical to bring up the engineers numbers that are needed to keep satellite uplinks being built till they cover every country possible. Deploy sats at end of month to bring down critical countries. I employed the sat spam strategy which requires at least 2 workshops, a lot of linked generators, and linked sat uplinks. Interceptors with boosting then rushed out firestorms. I delayed the outsider shard skeleton key mission which is the mid point in the game technically. And leap frogged all gear to titan armor and plasmas with linked labs which is key I think. I'm in classic (non ironman) with 13 countries. All bonuses but expert knowledge (Europe). 8 colonels and counting. All research is done. All foundry projects are done. the skeleton key mission represents a key midgame shift I think. All Sats up and firestorms being produced or in production before continuing with interceptor boosting until done. Then it is all down hill from that point. Will be moving to iron man next.
  • pawel-zietek - May 10, 2013 11:23 a.m.

Classic play is a WAY easier than IMPOSSIBLE (and Ironman makes it even more tough). It's like entirely new game for me. I just finished the Classic on Ironman (with all the options making it even more difficult on) and except for the first 3 months it was pretty easy (the only missions I lost it was due to feeling too powerful already and running through) later on. I am now having a serious difficulty just making it through the first mission on Impossible (3rd try at this very moment - this is why I'm here)
  • RobitusinZ - December 3, 2012 5:24 a.m.

1. Start with Africa. The 30% funding boost is crucial to the early game, plus, you can afford to lose the African countries which give little funding. 2. Focus on getting 4 satellites in Europe ASAP. All 4 European countries give you lots of money, and their 50% Workshop (and Lab, but don't care about lab, since I'm never going to build one) cost reduction couples with the 30% funding boost to further optimize your economy. 3. Workshop spam. Personally, I reserve the entire right half of my base to workshops. The left half is for all the misc. buildings you'll need to get the job done. 4. Follow the advice here and skim map edges. NEVER go into the center of the map, you will usually trigger alien pods all over the freaking place if you do. 5. Early game, give Scopes to your more advanced soldiers, but leave your Rookies with Grenades for that last hit. Also, rotate your lineup. On a per-mission basis, I leave home my highest promoted soldier, and instead take a Rookie, until I have 12 promoted soldiers. If one dies, I add a new Rookie to the rotation and move on. The 25% Experience Boost for kills enhancement in the Off. School should be a high priority. 6. Snipers really are key. I like using 2, one using Gunslinger, one using the elevated terrain bonus. Both have Squadsight, though. Sniper 1 is stationary, usually near the Skyranger, or the highest elevation I can find. Sniper #2 is mobile, but always ready to take advantage of a lucky Squadsight shot. 7. Every turn, your thought should be "How can I get 6 shots in?". Use your Lightning Reflexes (ALWAYS GET LIGHTNING REFLEXES) Assault to set up early, using 1 action point, then decide how to proceed from there. I personally do not recommend ever dashing flat out, unless you know you need that defensive bonus. I prefer move-Overwatch. The aim penalty on Overwatch is garbage, but having advantageous cover while still being able to take ANY shot is great...on Impossible, at least til later, you're only ever firing at 25-50% accuracy anyway. 8. Skeleton Suit is a HUGE priority. Mobility in the early game is KEY, and this gives you the most of it. Not only can you run further, but the Grapple is AMAZING!!! (tip: Use 1 action point to move, and if you get in a bad spot, try seeing what options the Grapple gives you...it's popped me out of many messes in the past). This is ALWAYS the turning point in my runs. Research tree: Alien Materials -> Carapace Armor -> Skeleton Suit. Ghost Armor comes later. Carapace Armor + Elerium -> Titan Armor; Titan Armor + Hyperwave -> Ghost Armor. And Ghost Armor really does tip the game totally into the player's favor. No, I haven't yet beat Impossible/Ironman. I've tried it a ton of times, though. I find the Research is too slow, so I'm considering sprinkling in some Labs on my next run. We'll see.
  • RabidTurtl - November 29, 2012 9:53 a.m.

"Engineers are better than scientists” I think Gordon Freeman would like a word with you. Ok, maybe not a word. Just a crowbar to the face.
  • jasoncarter - November 28, 2012 6:26 p.m.

I'll give a real tip. Don't bother right now, seriously. Wait till they bug fix more. The last thing you want is a group of enemies teleporting in right in front of you or an enemy shot coming at you through a solid wall.
  • avantguardian - November 28, 2012 6:33 p.m.

"an enemy shot coming at you through a solid wall." That's X-Com Baby!
  • jasoncarter - November 29, 2012 9 a.m.

Not to be mean but I am so sick of hearing that. That's not xcom, its just retarded. There's a different between fair kills and xcom and bugs and xcom. One is fine, the other is just a bitch.
  • avantguardian - November 29, 2012 4:20 p.m.

yeah...it's a joke. i'm not one to accept bullshit mechanics as 'legacy'. the ability to shoot through ANYTHING in the level is bad enough, as it makes taking cover, and the high ground somewhat suicidal. worst of all, they somehow know where all of the people i'm supposed to rescue in a terror mission are, and can snipe them (NEVER missing) from across the level. awesome. when will developers realize that making bad guys omnipotent and cheap is a shitty way to scale difficulty? still, it's probably my goty, but these problems (and a few other, lesser, but still notable issues) are definitely going to keep me from an insane/ironman playthrough. at least, until they recognize that some things should be fixed.
  • gadjo - May 20, 2013 1:03 a.m.

I've only had the "enemies teleporting in on you glitch happen once, and since it was on normal, it was hilarious. 2 pods of floaters teleported in on my team at the same time and everyone was on overwatch. It was a massacre.
  • joabbuac - November 28, 2012 3:54 p.m.

I think he got lucky....
  • Eo1spy - November 28, 2012 3:31 p.m.

Excellent advice about the ghost armour, I ignored it on my normal playthrough completely. Currently on Classic (non-Ironman) and feeling nervous on every mission my sniper participates in, especially as I named him after me. I have to agree about the berserkers; when six pop out at once due to going one square too far...
  • avantguardian - November 28, 2012 3:29 p.m.

the snipers really are the best. plasma sniper rifles with the double tap skill, i have two of these guys in my squad for each battle. invaluable. if i had to give a tip, i would say try to make sure you have depth at the sniper and support classes, so you can always run with two of each. make sure you give your support guys the extra move skill, and the health pack boost. keeping your best guys alive should be paramount. i also found that focusing on plasma as early as possible allows you to skip learning laser weapons, as you can pick up most plasma weapons in the field. of course, this is much more manageable on 'classic'.