Known in GTA IV as Algonquin
- Manhattan is the borough most associated with New York, especially for the tourists who flock to experience the hustle and bustle of one of the most thriving commercial and cultural centers in the world.
- It has the largest business district in the US and is the home of the famous New York Stock Exchange.
- It’s in Manhattan that you’ll find most of the city’s most famous landmarks, such as Central Park, the Empire State Building, Times Square and the Chrysler building.
- It’s immensely important culturally; thanks to theater district Broadway, numerous art galleries and museums, and bohemian districts such as Greenwich Village and Soho.
The word “Manhattan” comes from the Native American language of Lenape - “manna-hata” translates into “island of many hills.”
Known in GTA IV as Bohan
- The Bronx is one of the only boroughs that is part of the US mainland, rather than being an island.
- Largely a residential area, it was where many Italian and Irish immigrants settled in the early nineteenth century, then it became populated mainly with Jewish communities after the two World Wars.
- Now there are both large Hispanic and African American communities.
- It’s where you’ll find the New York Yankees stadium and world famous Bronx Zoo.
- It’s the home of Hip-Hop, developed in the ’70s.
- The Bronx includes two of the largest parks in New York, Pelham Bay Park (which has a man-made beach) and Van Cortlandt Park.
The Bronx is a name of European origin - it refers to the land owned by a Swedish settler called Bronks. Bohan is also a surname of European origin that can be traced back to France and Ireland. The Bronx was also where a lot of Irish immigrants settled.