We Recommend

• BladedFalcon - October 26, 2012 8:24 a.m.

Yet another reminder why I can't really take awards based on people's votes seriously, they're glorified popularity contests.
  • zombi3grim - October 26, 2012 8:40 a.m.

Gaming isnt like movies or music, where "good" is subjective. There are very clearly defined aspects when it comes to making a game "good." All the games that won these awards are "good" with their mechanics. Now, you may not LIKE the genre or type of game. But its not bad at all. More often then not, popular games are good games....yes, even the "hated" CoD.
  • Fraught - October 27, 2012 3:09 a.m.

Uhh, yes, gaming IS like movies and music, where good is subjective. The characters and the story and its pacing, the environments and production quality are subjective. Just like how it's subjective how much you mind certain "bad" game mechanics. Just like how it's subjective how much you enjoy a certain type of gameplay (like a shooter, first or third-person, a strategy game, real-time or turn-based and so on and so on). And if you mean that a game is "bad with their mechanics" (whatever that means), then there are probably people who enjoy that too.
  • zombi3grim - October 27, 2012 6:36 a.m.

Uhhh, no, gaming is NOT like movies and music. Movies and music are not interactive. Its soley based upon the creators vision. So you might LIKE what the creator made and you might not. Story is the only subjective thing about video games, because even with the illusion of choice, its the only non interactive part of the game. You play what the writers intended. Tolerating bad game mechanics is not subjective. Their still bad, whether you can deal with them or not. I also already elaborated on the specific game genre. Just because its an FPS and you dont like FPS, doesnt mean its a bad game. What I mean about a game being bad with its mechanics is very simple. Poor platforming segments, bad graphics, balancing that doesnt work, enemies that all look the same, no level variety, the same pacing throughought the game. THOSE are bad mechanics, and the games that sell millions of copies do not have those. Period. That is something factual that you can observe within the game, not an opinion. That is why its different then movies or music. Someone might interpret a movie character or his lines different then someone else. There is no difference in interpreting if a game uses the same level template 15 times....
  • ParagonT - October 27, 2012 8:26 a.m.

"What I mean about a game being bad with its mechanics is very simple. Poor platforming segments, bad graphics, balancing that doesnt work, enemies that all look the same, no level variety, the same pacing throughought the game. THOSE are bad mechanics, and the games that sell millions of copies do not have those. Period. That is something factual that you can observe within the game, not an opinion." What would you think of Pac-Man, Super Mario Bros., and those games? They were great at the time, but unless you believe that gaming standards change with time, I would politely disagree. But then if standards do change in time, who's to say which one is the right standard to follow?
  • zombi3grim - October 27, 2012 11:48 a.m.

Gaming standards do change with time. The people who say which is the right standard to follow are people with common sense. Story and characters are subjective. But you evolve with the technology when it comes to level design and basic core mechanics such as gameplay and repetivness.
  • ParagonT - October 27, 2012 noon

Common sense or sound judgement I don't think is a viable way to decide which standard is correct. Common sense is how we make sound and practical judgments for our well-being day to day and is an expression, but here we are playing video games which are not practical or good (productive) for us as in comparison to a multitude of other things we could be doing. So how can we as humans use common sense when it really doesn't exist? But its true that we may evolve with the standards of gaming when generally spread across the board, we all personally make our own choice of where and what the standard is if we even have thought about it at all.
  • shawksta - October 26, 2012 11:40 a.m.

I agree to an extent, im still pissed off at Gamespots's user votes for best games in 2010. Honestly as far as user votes go, it's more of "Which series has the bigger fans" then, "Best games"
  • winner2 - October 26, 2012 8:45 a.m.

Skyrim won, no huge surprise there. Just one of those games that an overwhelmingly huge number of people got hyped about and loved. It's a great game though to be sure, ton of fun. I'm making my prediction for next GOTY now though: Bioshock Infinite. Call me hasty, but it looks amazing.
  • ObliqueZombie - October 26, 2012 8:52 a.m.

It's hard to take these seriously (not that they should be--if you like a game or don't, that's on you), but they ARE popularity contests. Not that I mind too much, because it's a fun thing to vote on. Nothing serious, but definitely fun to see how each of my favorite games did (and they did pretty well during this).
  • Kieran712 - October 26, 2012 9:11 a.m.

Really? Xbox Minecraft beat out both Journey and Walking Dead? I skinned down more expensive version of a PC game beat out two of the best downloadable games in a long time. Just goes to show these awards are indeed glorified popularity contests.
  • KnowYourPokemon - October 26, 2012 9:22 a.m.

Unfortunately that's what happens when you let the general public decide and not people who know what to look for in terms of overall game mechanics. You'll get which ever one is more successful in terms of popularity.
  • KnowYourPokemon - October 26, 2012 9:19 a.m.

Hold up a second here. LoL was in the category for MMOs? Are you kidding me? Welp, my table's flipped, should probably go fix that instead now. And by table, I mean chair. They're the same thing right?
  • Jacko415 - October 26, 2012 3:19 p.m.

Oh right, its an MMAO..X..v2 who gives a fuck its Massively Multiplayer and online... you're just mad it didnt win anything after all that time you foolishly (and fruitlessly) devoted to it.
  • KnowYourPokemon - October 26, 2012 5:09 p.m.

Oh yes the whole 10min I devoted to LoL really makes me wish it won... If LoL is an MMO because lots of people play it and its online that would make CoD, Halo, Starcraft, Street Fighter 4, Diablo, Mass Effect 3, Gears of War(you see where I'm going with this right?) MMOs as well. For something to be an MMO a massive amount of people need to be playing alongside one another, as in on a server, but in LoL there's never more than 10 people playing together at a given time. That is simply not an MMO.
  • shawksta - October 26, 2012 11:48 a.m.

User vote awards are more of a competition of which game has the most fans rather than which game was the best. Some winners are well earned but some, and honorable mentions were definitely seen as more of a fan choosing. No Kid Icarus Uprising as an honorable on best handheld, come on! And why the heck is Mario Kart seven only a nominee in handheld and not racing? The category barely had any games to begin with!
  • ThatOneHobo - October 26, 2012 12:36 p.m.

So many things wrong with this. Slender? Really? League of Legends isn't even an MMO. How did a Mortal Kombat rerelease beat P4A? How is the Throat of the World even remotely memorable? Minecraft beat Walking Dead? And lastly, why the hell do people think Skyrim is good at ALL? It had good parts, the physical combat was probably the best in any TES game, but the magic and skills were dumbed down, the story sucked and had a terrible ending, and the dungeons and environments were bland and repetitive. I barely clocked forty hours into it before I stopped because I was so bored. And even then I only played that much because I was determined to finish the main quest (huge mistake). I can see it being fun for the first twenty or so hours. But all these people acting like it is the god of every RPG ever? These people who clock 300 plus hours into it? These people who place it among the top ten greatest games of all time? I just don't see how it is even remotely close. Same goes for Minecraft. I know it is a public opinion award, but man, public opinion sucks.
  • GrandTheftAuto - October 26, 2012 1:08 p.m.

I don't think you've heard of something called "different opinions". Stop whining
  • KnowYourPokemon - October 26, 2012 1:14 p.m.

It's not a "different opinion" however that LoL is not an MMO. That alone shows how much of a joke this is.
  • Aarononymous - October 26, 2012 11:03 p.m.

Technically, it is a "Massively Multiplayer Online" game (By some measures it's the massive-est). Doesn't mean it's an MMORPG, but the category is MMO, not MMORPG.
  • KnowYourPokemon - October 27, 2012 7:42 a.m.

I said this in another comment already, but if this is qualifies as an MMO, games like CoD, Street Fighter, Halo, Starcraft, etc qualify as well simply cause they're online. For something to be an MMO a lot of people need to be playing together on a server, for example Planetside 2, WoW, GW2. In LoL the most people you get together is 10, not exactly what i would call massive.
  • brickman409 - October 28, 2012 11:30 a.m.

... but COD is an MMO
  • KnowYourPokemon - October 28, 2012 6:28 p.m.

Oh please tell me you're joking and don't actually think this is true...
  • zombi3grim - October 27, 2012 6:29 a.m.

Oh god, do NOT argue with this child about MMO's. This fucker eats, breathes and shits MMOs....I have never seen someone so vehemently defend WoW like this guy...
  • KnowYourPokemon - October 27, 2012 7:45 a.m.

You're STILL going on about this? Oh my...
  • zombi3grim - October 27, 2012 11:45 a.m.

Here he goes people! Bait the monkey with a poo stick and he'll follow! Bet 20 poo sticks he'll reply to this.