• shawksta - October 26, 2012 11:48 a.m.

User vote awards are more of a competition of which game has the most fans rather than which game was the best. Some winners are well earned but some, and honorable mentions were definitely seen as more of a fan choosing. No Kid Icarus Uprising as an honorable on best handheld, come on! And why the heck is Mario Kart seven only a nominee in handheld and not racing? The category barely had any games to begin with!
  • KnowYourPokemon - October 26, 2012 9:19 a.m.

Hold up a second here. LoL was in the category for MMOs? Are you kidding me? Welp, my table's flipped, should probably go fix that instead now. And by table, I mean chair. They're the same thing right?
  • Jacko415 - October 26, 2012 3:19 p.m.

Oh right, its an MMAO..X..v2 who gives a fuck its Massively Multiplayer and online... you're just mad it didnt win anything after all that time you foolishly (and fruitlessly) devoted to it.
  • KnowYourPokemon - October 26, 2012 5:09 p.m.

Oh yes the whole 10min I devoted to LoL really makes me wish it won... If LoL is an MMO because lots of people play it and its online that would make CoD, Halo, Starcraft, Street Fighter 4, Diablo, Mass Effect 3, Gears of War(you see where I'm going with this right?) MMOs as well. For something to be an MMO a massive amount of people need to be playing alongside one another, as in on a server, but in LoL there's never more than 10 people playing together at a given time. That is simply not an MMO.
  • Kieran712 - October 26, 2012 9:11 a.m.

Really? Xbox Minecraft beat out both Journey and Walking Dead? I skinned down more expensive version of a PC game beat out two of the best downloadable games in a long time. Just goes to show these awards are indeed glorified popularity contests.
  • KnowYourPokemon - October 26, 2012 9:22 a.m.

Unfortunately that's what happens when you let the general public decide and not people who know what to look for in terms of overall game mechanics. You'll get which ever one is more successful in terms of popularity.
  • ObliqueZombie - October 26, 2012 8:52 a.m.

It's hard to take these seriously (not that they should be--if you like a game or don't, that's on you), but they ARE popularity contests. Not that I mind too much, because it's a fun thing to vote on. Nothing serious, but definitely fun to see how each of my favorite games did (and they did pretty well during this).
  • winner2 - October 26, 2012 8:45 a.m.

Skyrim won, no huge surprise there. Just one of those games that an overwhelmingly huge number of people got hyped about and loved. It's a great game though to be sure, ton of fun. I'm making my prediction for next GOTY now though: Bioshock Infinite. Call me hasty, but it looks amazing.
  • BladedFalcon - October 26, 2012 8:24 a.m.

Yet another reminder why I can't really take awards based on people's votes seriously, they're glorified popularity contests.
  • zombi3grim - October 26, 2012 8:40 a.m.

Gaming isnt like movies or music, where "good" is subjective. There are very clearly defined aspects when it comes to making a game "good." All the games that won these awards are "good" with their mechanics. Now, you may not LIKE the genre or type of game. But its not bad at all. More often then not, popular games are good games....yes, even the "hated" CoD.
  • HitmanSB07 - October 26, 2012 8:45 a.m.

Skyrim didn't even work on PS3 for the first four months and it continues to have problem. "Good" is not a word i'd choose to use for that buggy piece of s**t.
  • zombi3grim - October 26, 2012 3:31 p.m.

Then dont play it on the PS3....Skyrim is amazing. Just not on the PS3.
  • potpan0 - October 26, 2012 9:21 p.m.

Although I know many others had problems, it worked fine for me on PS3.
  • BladedFalcon - October 26, 2012 9:20 a.m.

Never said any of the games that won were bad at all, and I don't deny they all have qualities. But one thing is for a game to be good, and another thing is to be considered the "best". And yes, there's a lot of subjectivity involved, but that's not all there is to it. Every piece of media also has an objective quality to it that can be measured with real standards, not just taste. Some of these games aren't the "best" in the genre compared with some of their competitors. But then again trying to further argue about this is not gonna lead us anywhere, so I might as well drop it.
  • zombi3grim - October 26, 2012 3:33 p.m.

Yeah, I would drop it. Especially with me.
  • ParagonT - October 26, 2012 11:38 a.m.

I'll disagree on the idea that gaming has standards of "good". If someone doesn't like a game, no matter the reason, then it can not be considered good in their eyes. They have that right to make that call, even if their reasoning is unfounded. The idea then comes up if all those that consider the mechanics (as you mentioned) "good" are indeed wrong or right, which everyone is allowed to judge for themselves. So it's a continuous cycle. So that's just my opinion. So why do you believe there is some sort of standard/defined aspects when making a game good? Although as BladedFalcon said the conversation won't go anywhere, but I'd like to see why you think that way.
  • BladedFalcon - October 26, 2012 1:39 p.m.

"They have that right to make that call, even if their reasoning is unfounded." You yourself just said that people have the right to dislike something, even if they don't really have a valid or objective reason to do so :P And basically, what I was trying to say is that regardless of how much you subjectively enjoy or dislike a game, there are mechanics and things in the games that either work, or don't. Such as if the game has good response time with the controls, or how well the AI reacts to your actions, or how balanced different attacks or abilities are. My idea is that some games are simply more structurally sound than others, though yes, like you said, even if this is the case, depending of the person, that doesn't matter if the story makes up for it in their mind, or find that same structure or challenge a detriment to their fun. Anyway, I am kinda devolving into ramble here, there's a lot more I could expand on so i could better explain my way of thinking, but ultimately I don't feel it's worth the time or effort right now XD
  • ParagonT - October 26, 2012 3:17 p.m.

"""They have that right to make that call, even if their reasoning is unfounded." You yourself just said that people have the right to dislike something, even if they don't really have a valid or objective reason to do so :P"" I'm not sure what was meant by this, .... Wait, I think I caught my typing mistake.... hold, up never mind... I think you just restated what I said mate.
  • zombi3grim - October 26, 2012 3:36 p.m.

Story is pretty much the only subjective thing about gaming. "Good" contributes to if the game can play or not. If it responds and isnt broken. That would make a game "good." CoD is GOOD. You may not LIKE it. But liking something and it being good are two different things.
  • ParagonT - October 26, 2012 5:12 p.m.

Wouldn't that necessarily mean that nearly all games are good if they actually play and the code is fine from what the developer intended and input? Wouldn't that also mean that someone could think the opposite and say that all working games are bad, but its up to people if you like it? That could mean that CoD is bad, but some people may like it. Interesting thought, but I believe its still subjective.