We Recommend

• MancisFrorkYorgan - April 21, 2011 4:38 p.m.

I had absolutely no problem with killing the Little Sisters in BioShock. Does that say something about me?
  • Evernight57 - April 21, 2011 4:42 p.m.

I felt The Pitt DLC for Fallout 3 had one of the best decisions in gaming: Kidnap infant who will be more than likely killed to (potentially) save a bunch of slaves (led by a jackass) or spare the infant but screw the slaves in two ways (by crushing the rebellion AND letting them die of disease) and also keep the dictator in power. Its obviously more complicated than that, but I suggest playing it out to get the whole story
  • FOZ - April 21, 2011 5:25 p.m.

The Pitt decision was ridiculous. But I don't see why the baby would die, if the kid dies they're just as screwed as ever. There's no reason for them to kill the baby.
  • FauxFurry - April 21, 2011 5:46 p.m.

It seems as if a lot of people missed the point that the choices presented here either lacked any real weight, palpable sense of benefit or consequences or were harder for the writers to make than for the player. Not to be left out, I shall make a complaint,too. Why is there no mention made of choice of gender or race in the games where it has no bearing whatsoever on the story?! Those choices are even more frivolous than any of these at their worst!
  • kyle94 - April 21, 2011 7:40 p.m.

Did no one play Alpha Protocol? Or was it just me who thought those were some of the better decisions in games? Yea, the game wasn't that good gameplay-wise, but those were the toughest decisions I had. Actually, I think the reason why I liked those choices is because *spoiler* in most cases, no matter what you chose, the bad guys win. All you can do is decide what might be the lesser of two evils. Do you let the president of Taiwan die, destabilizing the entire region, or do you let the Chinese be blamed for starting a pro-Chinese riot that kills several people and also destabilizes the region. That's why I liked that game. Most games let you gain power at the expense of others or be kind and give up that power, or choices like that. In Alpha Protocol, no matter what you did or what you chose, the bad guys get their way. Even if you ruined their original plan, the consequences still increase their power. In fact, Alpha Protocol was one of the few games that had me say "I wanted a longer story and game!" after I beat it.
  • Skykid - April 21, 2011 8:34 p.m.

@bigwill1221 Heavy Rain is a whole GAME that is based off your decisions. Ohhh, I remember Force Unleashed 2's decision: Let Vader live or get stabbed in the back by your evil twin. Not really ethical in the decision. Force Unleashed: Kill Vader or Kill Palps? either way, Starkiller got f*cked up, living or dead.
  • DizzyDial - April 21, 2011 8:43 p.m.

FVDub - 17 hours 32 minutes ago Bulbasaur, Charmander, or Squirtle. Hardest decision of my life in grade school. This.
  • Skykid - April 21, 2011 8:46 p.m.

About my previous post: Both of those guys screwed with your life big time, it was all down to who did a better job f*cking it up.
  • mrm1138 - April 22, 2011 12:10 a.m.

Hmph. I don't have any They Might Be Giants or Primus on my iPod, but I do have Tool, A Perfect Circle and Nine Inch Nails. Despite this, I saved all the Little Sisters in both BioShock games. Your reasoning is flawed.
  • Sleuth - April 22, 2011 12:42 a.m.

Without choices from the Mass Effect series and Kotor series, this list is critically incomplete.
  • TriforcePlayer - April 22, 2011 12:45 a.m.

I find your lack of Fallout 3 disturbing
  • Siion - April 22, 2011 3:14 a.m.

Good article, thanks.
  • CitizenWolfie - April 22, 2011 8:45 a.m.

I'm sure you guys only think of these articles to talk about Bioshock some more. Nice to see FarCry 2 get a mention, I was among the few who enjoyed it I think. I went for the explosives in the end as it seemed the right thing to do. As for inFamous (and why so harsh?), I was playing through the "evil" route so I went to save Trish. Only problem was I hadn't been paying much attention at the time and climbed the wrong building. Autosave and bang - one "good" trophy to all the other "evil" ones. D'oh!
  • JayBeat - April 22, 2011 9:51 a.m.

very well written article, with interesting links (the trolley problem!). For me, when i read the headline the choice in mass effect 1 of saving the rachni race on noveria instantly came to mind, its a doozy.
  • punkmetalmage - April 22, 2011 4:48 p.m.

@mrm1138: I stopped reading the article after he said that if you listen to Maynard you will most likely kill the little sisters which is UTTER BULLSHIT! Anyone with half a brain cell can hear the great compassion Maynard has on the world around him. Clearly you do not listen to music (I'm not insinuating that if you don't listen to Tool or APC you don't listen to music but that if you don't take the time to understand the music you're listening to what does that say about you?). Next time you're going to talk about something that's out of your element (Donnie), maybe research it first. I'll probably just skimp through this article now.
  • therawski - April 22, 2011 6:19 p.m.

In FF VI you gotta wait for Shadow!
  • ViolentLee - April 22, 2011 7:36 p.m.

Trish was an annoying bitch. My wife agrees. I didn't want to save her, but ended up "choosing" her by accident because the game gives no indication which building houses which group to save. I quickly reloaded and let the bitch die.
  • elchamber - April 23, 2011 9:43 a.m.

Fallout 3 had some, but I know that there was one that, no matter what I choose to do, it sucked. It was at Tenpenny's place. Help the zomb... ghouls(smart) get into Tenpenny's Suites. Eventually, the ghouls eradicated everyone, the good and bad. If I decided to let them in though the backdoor, the human people would be attacked with no mercy, but I got a ghoul mask. The third option was to just take out the Ghouls. I get money and, at least, another place to kick-back and sell for more stuff.
  • buminyaface - April 23, 2011 11:32 a.m.

the ending to singularity is quite the tough decision, although since im one of the 7 people to play that game, im not surprised it isnt on the list
  • projecd843 - April 24, 2011 4:38 p.m.

I remember when my dog on fable 2 died...I was kinda sad for a second but i tried not to be selfish and picked to save the people.. but i regretted it later. lol