Topics

Best of 2012

• blaze-sportelli - January 10, 2013 4:41 p.m.

far cry 3
  • GOD - December 28, 2012 1:44 a.m.

I've played through Journey from beginning to end at least 4 times, and I must say that beyond the great atmosphere, pacing, and unique style it's also just very satisfying to play. In all my time in the game I never experienced a single graphical hiccup, glitch, stutter, or any other technical issue that we commonly see in games today and ignore because we expect them. It's all so polished in every way, as if they played through it as many times as it took themselves to get every thing perfect down to the very second. Also that sand is one of the most visually pretty things I've seen in a game. I'm not one to gush over graphics, and even some of the supposedly best graphics these days I think aren't that great, but to describe it as best I can just think of the most amazing lighting and and shading from 1st party nintendo title put in crisp HD and made to look like each bit of sand is really flowing beneath your character. Also it's got trophies that are challenging but a joy to get, so there's that.
  • talleyXIV - December 28, 2012 1:21 a.m.

X-COM really is amazing. By the way: Who the hell is the editor because I skimmed this article and noticed around 6 different and blatant spelling mistakes. I know it doesn't really matter but try to make it look like you care about what you are posting......
  • Moondoggie1157 - December 27, 2012 12:56 p.m.

Just finishing up Dishonored now, it's been one hell of good time. I'll definitely give it another playthrough right away. For my GOTY, I have to go with the game that stole most of my free time, and that I got the most enjoyment out of... Pokemon White 2. I haven't had as much fun with a Pokemon game since Blue... Or maybe Silver. In 5 generations, Pokemon has never faltered, and I think B/W 2 has sparked something new for the series... on a side note, I hit 500 caught pokemon in my pokedex, chyea.
  • Darkhawk - December 27, 2012 9:28 a.m.

I managed to play both Journey and Unfinished Swan with such a bare minimum of advance knowledge that pretty much every moment in those games was a surprise and delight to me. I know you've all played Journey already, so I highly recommend Unfinished for those looking for a comparable experience.
  • Darkhawk - December 27, 2012 9:29 a.m.

Also: isn't it odd that not one staffer's favourite game was Walking Dead, and yet it still walked away with GOTY? Not knocking the 'Dead, it's just that Journey seems to be the more popular choice...
  • ObliqueZombie - December 26, 2012 11:42 p.m.

I'm about to dive into XCOM finally here in the next few days, but just in case I don't get to it in time before 2012 ends I'll go ahead and say Dishonored. That game just blew me away, and it was one of the few games I played through twice immediately.
  • ObliqueZombie - December 26, 2012 11:43 p.m.

Make that a third and fourth time. Got it for Xbox this Christmas, so that warrants another couple playthroughs!
  • GoldenEagle1476 - December 26, 2012 12:32 p.m.

Dishonored. I played through that game over and over again and had a blast each time. I can't remember the last game I did that. I also enjoyed the Walking Dead, Halo 4, Mass Effect 3, and although I know a lot of people didn't care for it, I still loved Assassin's Creed 3. If I'd been able to play XCOM and Far Cry 3, I'm sure I would have liked those too.
  • oryanbelt - December 26, 2012 11:56 a.m.

Borderlands 2 would be my pick for the year. The story involving Handsome Jack (which is my pick for New Character of the Year) and the fight for Pandora had me engaged the entire game. Plus, it was so much damn fun to play with friends
  • CreepersOnSpeed - December 26, 2012 6:06 p.m.

Borderlands 2 was great! The new classes and mission design definitely took it a step up from Borderlands 1.
  • AnghellicKarma - December 26, 2012 7:36 a.m.

Slide 4: What's "Jounrey?"
  • Clovin64 - December 26, 2012 4:38 a.m.

Journey all the way for me. I've played it twice and I intend to give it another go before the holidays are over with. I'm ashamed to say I havent finished Dishonoured yet as I've been distracted with the Mass Effect trilogy on PS3, but I've really enjoyed what I've played of it so far. Honourable mentions go to Mass Effect 3, Dragon's Dogma, Max Payne 3, Soul Calibur V, Final Fantasy XIII-2 and Resident Evil Revalations. Assassins Creed 3 can go suck a dick for being my biggest disapointment of the year. Resi 6 was equally mediocre, but my expectations werent nearly as high.
  • Unoriginal - December 26, 2012 4:03 a.m.

Mass Effect 3. I really like how the ridiculous ending drama seems to be finaly dying down so that people are beginning to remember the other 99% of that game. Highest quality game story of the year, greatest soundtrack alongside Journey and just a great package overall. Bioware also went crazy with the damage control for the ending scandal resulting in a great ending, bunch of free DLC and Leviathan is probably the best DLC of the year. There are not many 50+hour RPGs that I want to replay once they are done but Once I get my hands on Trilogy I look forward to replaying the whole thing from start to finish again.
  • avantguardian - December 26, 2012 12:19 a.m.

has hooters become so opinionated that he has no opinion?
  • antiAntag0nist - December 25, 2012 11:19 p.m.

I'm glad to see that Sleeping Dogs was mentioned in this article. It isn't very often where I am instantly hooked into a game compelled to see it all the way through. For an open world game, the setting of Hong Kong was fresh and welcome. Sleeping Dogs is a great game and I hope Square & United Front Games team up for a sequel.
  • antiAntag0nist - December 25, 2012 11:23 p.m.

I actually forgot to mention my favorite game of 2012, contrary to what I said about Sleeping Dogs. Although it was met with a lot of controversy, Mass Effect 3 is definitely my pick for this year.
  • pl4y4h - December 25, 2012 10:01 p.m.

Always wanted to play journey, but i don't think it's good enough to justify buying an entire new console that I would only use for it
  • garnsr - December 25, 2012 6:47 p.m.

I'm with Davind in not being able to choose, but more not enjoying anything (or, not remembering anything so well) as much this year as most years. I've played quite a few games this years, but the biggest sequels, Darksiders 2 and Assassin's Creed 3 left me underwhelmed. I liked Journey quite a bit, but saying it was all emotional and transcendant isn't really what I got from it. Asura's Wrath was good, more as an experience than a game, though. I thought Amalur was a good Fable game, but it doesn't seem like it came out this year, it seems so long ago. I didn't play any bad games, but I didn't love anything this year.
  • EAC73 - December 25, 2012 6:06 p.m.

i got a feeling journey is a great game, i really need to check it out