• Rambo 11 - October 23, 2012 11:43 p.m.

I'd have to say Halo multiplayer. There's nothing worse than being moments away from breaking a tie only to hear those timeout beeps followed by that smug ass voice saying GAME OVER as some foulmouthed ten year old teabags your corpse.
  • Satchurated - October 23, 2012 8:52 p.m.

I'm surprised you didn't do Crash Bandicoot 2 where Cortex would laugh at you and switch between stink eyes. That one scared the shit out of me when I was a kid.
  • Mad Cupid - October 23, 2012 8:51 p.m.

Red Alert has one if you fail it shows a tombstone with Tanya Adams on it meaning you totally failed and you suck
  • winner2 - October 23, 2012 8:49 p.m.

I had a total flashback at the Tarzan picture. That was kind of morbid and soul crushing to me when I played it as a kid.
  • Scoob - October 23, 2012 8:33 p.m.

I was expecting to see the Ninja Gaiden arcade version game over screen. Nothing worse than seeing the clock countdown while a buzz saw is slowly decending on a bound player who is surrounded by creatures: http://youtu.be/LVz9__a8x-I
  • Mad Cupid - October 23, 2012 7:56 p.m.

Fallout 1's game over screen was just like Fallout 2's game over screen they knew how to make you feel horrible if you died. But In the game Sega Rally for Dreamcast if you lost you would get a game over screen where a guy would sing "Game Over Yeah!!!!!!!". It kind of rubbed it in your face but it was more funny then harsh and you sometimes would lose to see the game over screen.
  • Arix - October 23, 2012 7:19 p.m.

The game over in Croc got me. It's not gruesome, mocking, or anything of the such. Just the way the poor little guy slumps his head in defeat and calmly, silently walks away...
  • CountRichtertoffen - October 23, 2012 5:42 p.m.

One of the endings in Theme Park makes your character attempt suicide (Though he fails, as he attempts to kill himself from a window roughly four feet off of the ground.)
  • J-Fid - October 23, 2012 5:22 p.m.

The Melee announcer expresses his failure ever so calmly. It was like, was he really surprised?
  • Jacko415 - October 23, 2012 5:01 p.m.

Dead Space gets an honerable mention. Most of the death scenes are very sudden and/or brutal. "Miss with your last shot? Well congratulations, you get to see a skull/octopus thing rip your head off and replace it with its own, THEN it controls your body!" or "Quick, plant the device on the meteor before the giant, steel girder literally KNOCKS your torso off your bod- oh whoops..."
  • tomasfr89 - October 23, 2012 5:01 p.m.

Resident Evil 3: You're fighting Nemesis, low on life, no herbs, begging you can survive. Then he grabs you, looks at you, and tosses you like saying "pathetic". Then he casually strolls to where you're lying, while you mash the buttons in desperation but it's too late: he lifts you and gives you a "face job" with a tentacle. In other words, you were dead the first time he grabbed you, the rest was humiliation.
  • 7-D - October 23, 2012 4:49 p.m.

I remember Powermonger having a pretty brutal 'game-over' screen.. no more brutal than any of these though I suppose.
  • Moondoggie1157 - October 23, 2012 4:16 p.m.

Haha, never thought I'd see a Shadowgate reference. My dad got me the game for my birthday one year a while back... Needless to say I saw that death screen more times than I can count. Hell, I still haven't beaten Shadowgate... I should try to find it.
  • awesomesauce - October 23, 2012 4:11 p.m.

I'm thought Dragon's Lair would be on here
  • IceBlueKirby - October 23, 2012 3:36 p.m.

One game over screen that still sticks out in my mind is Vectorman 2's. Vectorman is there, doing his thing (striking poses, mostly) and the main villain is right behind him, and before you can say "look out behind you, Vectorman!" the villain smacks him into pieces. :\ Also, this is kinda off-topic, how did Altered Beast not have a game over screen putting the character back in his grave? At least then, when you started over, marble-mouthed Zeus resurrecting you again would have made sense. Other than the part about him resurrecting a failure, I mean.
  • archnite - October 24, 2012 6:29 a.m.

Yeah you're right that would have been neat
  • TheCakeIsaPie - October 23, 2012 3:17 p.m.

The FAIL screens from "Crash Bash" made me want to cry in a corner somewhere. No 10 year old child should have to see those screens dozens of times. :/ youtube.com/watch?v=jZHDw4v4zzU
  • Satchurated - October 23, 2012 8:49 p.m.

So so true
  • JarkayColt - October 23, 2012 2:50 p.m.

Haha weird, I starting playing the Secret of Mana last week, and the first time I died I couldn't help but thinking that was the most disheartening game over screen I had ever seen. Nice to see it on here, lawls. I'd have hated to be on the recieving end of some of these other ones too. Anyway, what about EarthBound's "Well Ness, looks like you really got your head handed to you"? (Or words to that effect.) That was kinda scathing.
  • JJ_DA_KING - October 23, 2012 2:29 p.m.

There is Corpse Party's wrong end screen. Not only has a character that you have cared about died gruesomely but you get a big screen that says wrong turn and makes you look back on what you did wrong.