• BaraChat - March 31, 2012 2:20 p.m.

Funny thing is, I actually liked Mass Effect 2, I think I gave it 9.2 on my personal rankings list (9+ stands for superb or excellent, whichever). I really enjoyed it all the way through. Yet somehow I don't even want to play ME3, the game is barely scratching my curiosity. I'll probably wisen up and play it someday, but for now I couldn't care less. Kid Icarus, on the other hand, looks pretty fun to play. I'd try it but I don't have a 3DS (yet) so there. But I'm surprised Journey wasn't GOTM or Runner-up. It was probably the most widely appreciated game in every critic/review I read. It's actually pretty damn close to ME3 in GameRankings and Metacritic.
  • shawksta - March 30, 2012 11:52 p.m.

Its 50/50 for me between Mass Effect 3 and Uprising, they're are both awesome games in their own level that cant be ignored, especially Uprising coming from Sakurai and being deep. Their both #1 for this month, for Runner-up, its a tie between Street Fighter X Tekken and Journey, I dont even own a PS3 and i chose it.
  • NanoElite666 - March 30, 2012 9:30 p.m.

Meh, still murdering my way through Dark Souls.
  • Zeos - March 30, 2012 6:24 p.m.

I can't wait until the inevitable trilogy bundle, then I'll get all three at once. Yay!
  • Malintendog - March 30, 2012 4:37 p.m.

I bought Kid Icarus: Uprising and it's tons of fun! The controls aren't really that painful as people say they are, at least not for me, and the music is absolutely phenomenal. The gameplay is fast paced and despite the hordes of enemies that come at you there are times you are thrown off by ones that can only be defeated in certain ways. I DO wish that the weapon fusing system was more organized though.
  • EwoksTasteLikeChicken - March 30, 2012 4:26 p.m.

You know what's funny? The average time spent total on all three Mass Effect games is 100 hours, while you can easily spend more than 100 hours in Skyrim.
  • viberunner - March 31, 2012 3 p.m.

I think to get through a Mass Effect in 30-odd hours would be to concentrate on the main mission and speed-skip dialogue. My plays are well over eighty hours (each game) trying to do each side-mission, and did all the DLC during the game. You can spend a LOT longer than 100 in Skyrim (I have over 350 hours logged) but you *CAN* do the main quest in twenty odd hours. Skyrim is a great game, but hugely flawed. "As wide and as beautiful as an ocean, and as deep as a puddle", as they say. For example, think of your followers in a Mass Effect game. Interesting and varied back-stories,interesting dialogue. They talk about their histories, their dreams and fears for the future, and discuss what they think of you and any potential relationship with you. Think of followers in Skyrim, "I am SWORN to carry your burdens" is about the extent of their dialogue, and "WEAR AMULET TO MAKE FOLLOWER MARRY YOU" is about the extent of the interaction with them.
  • talleyXIV - March 31, 2012 5:59 p.m.

No one can argue that Skyrim is not a great game. No doubt. But most of it is filler. How many of those sidequests that put you over 100 hours were actually interesting? Didn't you just do most of them to level up? That is probably the case and you didn't notice because it does a great job of making it feel like it is worth it, like a trade. Bethesda says here do these terribly boring side missions and level your character up so that you can do main quests easier. Mass Effect games (I have never played them so I can barely judge them) probably take out the annoying shits that are side quests and says play the main missions, which unfortunately is at the expense of how time you will play it. So in conclusion: Skyrim: Yay run around doing 20 hours of good and meaty gameplay that is interesting. Then spend 80 hours fixing your character up, making spells and potions, walking around, and doing boring missions that you will forget about later. Or Mass Effect 3: Play 20 hours of an interesting story line with all meaningful characters, missions, and things to do. (Plus: All the things you do in Mass Effect 3 change the way the story pans out.) So then you have two options: 1. Whine about it not being as long as Skyrim for 80 hours. 2. Play the game over, pick different things, become a different person, do different things for 80 hours. In conclusion, Skyrim is a great steak with a lot of fat on it that will fill you up and leave leftovers. Mass Effect 3 is an absolutely amazing steak that can be eaten all at once, but not much will be leftover unless you really savor it. Pardon that hilariously ridiculous metaphor.
  • talleyXIV - April 1, 2012 3:49 p.m.

• Fuzunga - March 30, 2012 4:10 p.m.

The only game I got this month was Kid Icarus, and it's great.
  • Gibsonsg527 - March 30, 2012 3:10 p.m.

ME3 is an amazing game but its ending really knocks it down. Im surprised that hardly any reviewers addressed the problem.
  • viberunner - March 31, 2012 3:02 p.m.

How many reviews do you think even finished the game, let alone finish it with a character consistent from ME1 and ME2?
  • GR HollanderCooper - April 1, 2012 5:14 p.m.

A vast majority? Every reviewer I've talked to who wrote a review for the game (which is over a dozen) beat ME3 at least once before writing the review, and almost all of them carried a saved game from ME1 to ME3.
  • talleyXIV - April 2, 2012 6:02 p.m.

Why is your first sentence a question? Were you confused with your own facts?
  • ZhugeLiang - March 30, 2012 3:06 p.m.

Tales of Graces for me. Or does that not qualify since it's technically two years old? :-p
  • christian-shaffer - March 30, 2012 2:48 p.m.

I finished my first and possibly last play through of ME3 last night. Before I finished it, I couldn't figure out how the game could end to make so many people angry about it. Then I finished the game. While I thought the battles and the image of all the ships coming through the relay were among some of the most incredible things I had ever seen in a game, I too was disappointed by the ending. While I can see why they would end it the way they did, it gives me very little motivation to go back for a second playthrough, which is one of the main reasons I bought the game in the first place. Why go back and play something knowing that no matter what you choose, everything will more or less end the same? I don't want to ruin it for anyone that hasn't finished yet so I wont use any details. After three games and hundreds of hours spent playing the series, more than I have ever spent on any other game/series by a long shot, I felt extraordinarily unsatisfied. Making countless decisions and meeting and connecting to an abundance of characters, I was given an ultimatum that would make all those choices and relationships utterly meaningless. I actually shed some tears as I watched the credits roll, not because of the ending, but because I had come to the realization that I had spent so much time for basically nothing. I left my mind open for it and kept the thought that maybe people were just whining about something that wasn't that big a deal, but I have to say, they were right. I died a little inside when the screen cut to black for the final time. I was supporting the side that said the game shouldn't be changed as it won't be a good thing for the gaming community, and I still do to some extent, but I definitely feel something needs to be done to make up for the empty hole it left.
  • H2A2I00 - March 30, 2012 3:19 p.m.

I personally felt that the only problem the ending had was its lack of closure concerning the fate of your team. I believe in the indoctrination theory (look it up if you havent already) and to me that last mission was an incredible narrative piece. Even if you don't believe it you can look at it as a realistic approach to things. Think about it, how many decisions that you have made in the past actually mattered? Besides changing who you are they probably haven't had any real impact on society as a whole and that fits perfectly with one person saving a galaxy because even he only has a limited effect. With that in mind, I do believe that the ending should have been the best part of the story, but rather it belonged to the Tuchanka storyline involving Mordin. Now that is how you tell a story.
  • symphonicdeathpop - March 30, 2012 2:37 p.m.

Mass Effect 3 and Journey for me.
  • J-Fid - March 30, 2012 2:20 p.m.

I'm shocked...
  • grappler51 - March 30, 2012 1:32 p.m.

Why did you not talk about how shitty the ending to ME3 was, and how your choices didn't end up mattering at all? In a series as story-driven as Mass Effect that is very important. Kid Icarus should have won IMO.