• R_U_Guys_From_British - May 6, 2010 6:06 p.m.

Another great artlicle, damn I love GR. (and jim :) )
  • taylornolfi - May 6, 2010 6:49 p.m.

Metal Gear Solid 4 was all infighting The PMCs and rebels were always going at it youcould just sit by and watch them kill eachother
  • spekko - May 6, 2010 8:29 p.m.

for terrifying enemies, what about the librarians in Metro 2033? It scared the crap out of me when SPOILER the one in the bathroom grabbed you by the neck through the wall END OF SPOILER
  • JimSterling - May 6, 2010 11 p.m.

Metal Gear Solid isn't an FPS, while the infighting is fully scripted and designed. "Monster infighting" is a particular type of infighting that's scripted to trigger due to friendly fire. Not a lot of games copied that. As far as scary enemies go, it's mostly opinion, but again, this is about FPS games, not Zelda and the like. Nevertheless, it's more opinion than anything else, and I've seen a lot of people get angry over it, which strikes me as silly.
  • TURbo - May 6, 2010 11:08 p.m.

Doom was the first game to use the Doom engine. Heretic was afterwards.
  • hardcore_gamer1990 - May 6, 2010 11:30 p.m.

Assassin's Creed has certain exploits that will change the way you play... Try searching The HyperBlend exploit on YouTube?
  • keithburgun - May 7, 2010 4:05 a.m.

I just wanted to let you know that my new iPhone game has in-fighting. And it's because I love DooM so much. www.100rogues.com
  • Spybreak8 - May 7, 2010 4:39 a.m.

Archvile burned you which made you fly into the air. That was the main thing that freaked me out. I was just playing Borderlands and it's fun to get the bandits to fight skags!
  • TheEvilSideofEveryone - May 7, 2010 5:34 a.m.

MW2 had infighting on one LvL so it just took some one a long time to rip that off.
  • MaynardJ - May 7, 2010 11:26 a.m.

Archvile, the Cyberdemon, Revenants, the Cacodemons and the Spider Mastermind are still some of the most terrifying parts of my teenage gaming years. Jesus Christ, those guys were scary. Last time I played Doom must have been about 2 years ago. I turned off the music and played Metallica and Bad Religion CDs as a score. How many other FPS games make that possible, with all those cutscenes these days? Another FPS I'd like to see "copied" a lot more: No One Lives Forever, especially part 2. Probably the last FPS I played, so I'm not really up to date on the genre. But if any of you people can tell me about another FPS that is as much fun as NOLF2 I'll buy it.
  • yonderTheGreat - May 7, 2010 7:40 p.m.

Exploits aren't bugs. And telefragging was part of the game. As infighting isn't as rare as you guys seem to claim. Lots of RPG's have it, like the wonderful-but-very-buggy Gothic games.
  • LIKEUCARE - May 7, 2010 9:32 p.m.

I gotta agree with todays videogames, the soundtrack lacks rock/metal/techno tunes. It's all ambient and atmosphere, while nothing's wrong with that, but I would truly crave for a pure return of an old school FPS game. Kinda like the good old DOOM/Quake style! As for scary monsters, I could think of many... For instance, in DOOM 1, think the Baron was the scariest for me... his scream and howls made me run like hell backwards lol! In Quake 1 "Huge White Guy" were scary as hell first I met 'em! Quake 2... wasn't much scary, but it was all about pure action with a rock-solid soundtrack. Quake 3... very good action, soundtrack was good, but slightly below Q2. As for Q4, I think many agrees that its a forgettable game, sadly. FPS scary monsters... well, in FEAR, those assassins made me jump first time... oh and those nightmares specters too. Condemned enemies were something too, jumping at you at any moments. The grisly bear in Condemned 2... man that was scary! The T-Rex from the latest Turok game... whew he chumped on me many times till I finally beat him! Serious Sam First Encounter's bosses were a fearsome sights! Return to Castle Wolfenstein... MANY SCARY MONSTERS! The 2-arm walking "mechanoid" was scary... as were the zombies, shooting you souls at you. The Rumbler from System Shock 2 was scary as hell! In Half Life 1, those cloaked female assassins... Think in Unreal 2 The Awakening had some scary monsters too... Clive Barker's Undying... many scary monsters there as well. Thief 1 zombies, ghosts and apparitions were scary stuff! AVP 1999 marine missions were scary stuff... first time you saw the aliens for the first time scared the shit out of me. Even when you first meet a predator, he was scary too... kept aiming at you from a long distance with his PlasmaCaster and could kill you in one shot. The Alien Queen on the last mission was freaking scary! You could only kill her Ripley style, hence, everything you'd do to her only slowed/stunned her temporally. Ah, good moments! AVP2 cartoonish look spoiled the fear factor IMO, even if the game itself was a tad greater than AVP1. As for AVP 2010, even if I disliked it a lot in all imaginable ways compared to previous AVP games, it has its moments... the Praetorian boss fight in nightmare mode was fearsome! As for more scary monsters, guess they'd be in Third Person Shooters style... from the games like Dead Space, Resident Evil series, Silent Hills series, The Suffering series, The Chronicles of Riddick "sewer lurking mutants"... Last point... many disliked DOOM 3, but I still think it was a pretty good single player game overall. Surely, it missed a few elements here and there, skipped the rock/metal music... but it does have its moments for sure! Oh and, anyone here feels the same that the DOOM 1 Baron was scarier than DOOM 3 Hellknight?
  • LIKEUCARE - May 7, 2010 9:40 p.m.

Holy crap... and I forgot one hell of a scary FPS monster... In STALKER: Shadows of Chernobyl... the mutant with the telekinesis attack made me jump for sure! The Bloodsuckers too first time I met 'em... I can't comment to STALKER Clearskies and Pripyat since I haven't played 'em yet... I would imagine they'd have new scary monsters as well! Oh and a friend of mine told me that in Metro 2033, theres many scary mutants in that too, although, he's easily scared of anything so not so sure about that fact... Heck, it took him about 2 years to play DOOM 3... once he got through, he could finally play scary games hah...
  • Metroidhunter32 - May 8, 2010 1:35 a.m.

I'm only so so on shooters in general, the all action ones get dull really fast to me. That said I worship doom, and constantly try to find a PC version of it that will run since mine has litterally decayed until it lost data. All hail your DOOM...
  • MyGameName - May 8, 2010 2:16 a.m.

@Vitoruss1 Halo note is incorrect as those were all separate factions. All enemies in Doom never showed any notice of each other unless hit by a stray bullet. GTA note is incorrect. They're not talking about CHEAT CODES. They are referring to the final game as is, without console commands, special button inputs, or other commands that force the game to behave in a certain way.
  • theschwartzb - May 9, 2010 5:42 a.m.

Definitely infighting and several terrifying monsters in Fallout 3. I quite frequently come upon fights between one faction and feral ghouls, such as super mutants v feral ghouls or raiders v feral ghouls. Also feral ghoul reavers, deathclaws, and super mutant behemoths are all very fast hit incredibly hard and are recurring (the super mutant behemoths to a lesser extent, although they do show up several times in the game, just not as much as the reavers and the death claws.) In fact, there is a town called 'Old Olney' that is full of nothing but deathclaws.
  • andwan0 - May 14, 2010 5:29 p.m.

Sorry, ingame fighting was done in Blood.-
  • highhardroad - May 17, 2010 5:05 p.m.

I actually found an iPhone game that has some pretty interesting infighting. Something I haven't found in other IAnything games. I bought it after reading about it in their website's forums. It's website is www.100rogues.com
  • redxjak - May 19, 2010 2:33 p.m.

can anyone tell me where to download doom for free? or quake
  • SenatorPepper - September 23, 2010 4:17 a.m.