• slimjim441 - October 24, 2012 9:51 p.m.

The presidium (Mass Effect) Afterlife (Mass Effect) Dreamland, cuz why not? (Kirby) Elysia (Metroid Prime 3) Bryyo (MP3) Land of the Dead (Castlevania Lords of Shadow) Anywhere from any LoZ game That one mansion in France from Uncharted 3 And most importantly, since it actually is a real location... Shadow Moses Island
  • slimjim441 - October 24, 2012 9:56 p.m.

And because it would be a pretty sweet death and would be worth it... Silent Hill 'Hell' (Doom) Castle Brennenburg (Amnesia)
  • ertywerty - October 24, 2012 8:39 p.m.

For me any of the homeworlds in the Spyro series for ps1, also Metropolis from the Ratchet and Clank series. Anyone else agree?
  • ryancourtin - October 25, 2012 12:07 p.m.

+1 for PS1 Spyro the Dragon levels! The whole original trilogy was an essential part of my childhood, but my favorite is Dark Hollow in the first game's Artisan world, it has the best music and atmosphere. It's so peaceful if I have trouble sleeping I can put that song on and I'm OUT.
  • Cosmis - October 24, 2012 8:36 p.m.

City 17 in the very first chapters of Half-Life 2. It's just such a powerful place. The Presidium from ME1 is great, but I felt like Omega in ME2 was every bit as interesting. Also Besaid Island from FFX. Surprised no one threw out some of the opening sequences of BioShock. Articles like this are why I come to this site.
  • ryancourtin - October 25, 2012 12:40 p.m.

Completely agree with Besaid from FFX, specifically the long path running behind the waterfall! I would run up and down that area listening to the awesome music, killing Flans all day...
  • BaraChat - October 24, 2012 8:14 p.m.

Megaton in Fallout 3 (in fact the whole Capital Wasteland was pretty damn awesome), Gerudo Fortress/Lake Hylia/Hyrule Fields/etc. in OoT and the entirety of Rapture in Bioshock 1/2, the Sea in Wind Waker, Whiterun in Skyrim, the Strip in Fallout New Vegas, a place late in Metroid Prime I've forgotten the name of, and the snow world in the same game, Tristram in the original Diablo, Ravenholm in Half-Life 2, the first village in RE4, the Nurburgring in any decent racing sim, and I'm probably forgetting a LOT of places.
  • Afistrife - October 24, 2012 7:46 p.m.

Your castle in any Suikoden game.
  • sweetchiliheat - October 24, 2012 7:13 p.m.

Oh dear... - Pan's forest from Castlevania: LoS (surprisingly my favorite level in my favorite game) - Temple of Time from Twilight Princess (getting the Master Sword was sooo awesome) - Professor Sprout's secret room from Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (One of my first awe-inspiring moments in gaming) - Markarth in Skyrim (love the waterfalls!) - Lake Bresha, Gapra Whitewood, and Sunleth Waterscape from FFXIII - Presidium in Mass Effect 1 - French Mansion in Uncharted 3 (no sand! Hurrah!) There are probably more that I can't think of (many are in Skyrim) but those ones stand out
  • Net_Bastard - October 24, 2012 6:53 p.m.

I have quite a few. Yoshi's House - Super Mario World. It's nice, quaint, and very relaxing. Alcatraz - Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 4. Easily the best level in the entire series. Absolutely HUGE combo line opportunities that span a huge chunk of the already-large level, fun missions, pipes everywhere, pretty much the embodiment of what makes a great THPS level in my opinion. Dizzy Land - Snowboard Kids 1. This level is equal parts whimsical and serene. Sometimes I'd just go down the level in Time Trial mode, listening to the amazing music, looking at the gorgeous, colorful skydome (which is actually a huge carnival tent), and just having a great time. The outside of the final level - Mirror's Edge. You're surrounded by a slightly surreal city at night, which fills you with two conflicting emotions, one being impressed at the vista, and the other being slightly sad at the sight, now that you know the backstory behind the city.
  • BackwaterRifle - October 24, 2012 6:33 p.m.

The Mojave and Capital wasteland are good, but point lookout was atmospherically incredible.
  • BackwaterRifle - October 24, 2012 6:36 p.m.

And almost anyplace in wind waker.
  • space_cakes - October 24, 2012 5:45 p.m.

The Riften orphanage in Skyrim. That never gets old. :D
  • tomasfr89 - October 24, 2012 5:44 p.m.

I'll take a clue from the last photo on the gallery and choose London from Alice Madness Returns: the ever-present grey and brown, the sense of "filth" over everything, the painful music, the look of the people as if they were sick, corrupted. Makes Queenland look like Disney. On second thought, I also choose Queenland, it doesn't get more sick and twisted than that.
  • DiJunoMan - October 24, 2012 5:38 p.m.

Clock town in Majora's Mask! I love the colors and watching the moon get closer and closer as everyone goes about their daily routines
  • Mateus7 - October 24, 2012 5:31 p.m.

Fallout 3 - This one's tough...the Capital Wasteland is such an amazing place to explore. I love Megaton and the National Mall...it's hard to decide. Red Dead Redemption - Again, the whole map's just brimming with exciting content, but I have to say that Armadillo is my favorite spot. Mass Effect - In the whole series, the first game's version of the Citadel is my favorite place. I think that it's the most fleshed-out location in all of the series. I remember being both fascinated and overwhelmed with the breadth of content it offered.
  • Gorillaman23 - October 24, 2012 5:08 p.m.

Asiantown in MadWorld. Some of the best weapons, some of the best bosses, some of the most hilarious dialog.
  • ncurry2 - October 24, 2012 7:11 p.m.

I appreciate the MadWorld nod. Now tell me you own Little King's Story and we'll be best friends. Also mine would definitely be the ocean in Majora's Mask.
  • Sinsational - October 24, 2012 5:01 p.m.

Whenever I replay Final Fantasy IX, I always look forward to reaching Burmecia, the Land of Eternal Rain. The somber music, mixed with the atmosphere from the rain and dire circumstances you find yourself in always draw me into the story. Plus, you get Freya. That's a definite plus.
  • Sinsational - October 24, 2012 5:07 p.m.

I think a suitable second would be the Dantooine Enclave from SW: KOTOR. After spending several gut-wrenching hours on Taris, you finally escape and face your destiny as a Jedi. You build your lightsaber, partake in ancient Jedi tradition, help the settlers around the Enclave. The music reflects the farm world perfectly: calm, serene, beautiful. Also, who doesn't love flying stingray things?