Topics

Fable

• Fuzunga - May 17, 2012 5:18 p.m.

The combat system in the first game was perfect. There was no need to change it completely. In fact, what you described in #9 is basically how it was before. Anyway, I'm just hoping that, without Monyneux, someone with a level head will step in and design the game around what makes it fun.
  • winner2 - May 17, 2012 7:41 p.m.

At the end of Fable 2, I chose the dog.
  • FlyinHawaiian13 - May 17, 2012 8 p.m.

I want my kids to grow up to adult hood and make their own choices based on how they were treated. Like my son turns evil because I wasn't there enough and it results in some epic battle.
  • garnsr - May 17, 2012 8:34 p.m.

I thought Amalur was a decent Fable. It needed a bit more silliness, but it played more like Fable than Elder Scrolls. I kind of like how your character changed depending on how you used them in Fable 2, but since I'm a fighter-type player my sexy lady turned more muscular and less sexy as the game went on. I hate when that happens.
  • ChiChiRocket - May 17, 2012 10:21 p.m.

Honestly, I don't think I want anything from a Fable IV. I've been burned by the franchise too many times to even consider buying a fourth installment. Every game was kind of fun while I was playing them, but by the time I was done, I was saying to myself, "What a total waste of time..." At the very least, I'll get the game for down the line and do my research. Fool me thrice, shame on me.
  • NullG7 - May 17, 2012 10:53 p.m.

I sadly kinda have to agree to the general theme of the article, make the features of the game good or dont make them at all. If you dont commit to making what you have shine then it will just sit on a dark retail shelf. That being said either add more features AND keep the old ones or dont make another game at all.
  • Shadow Of Death - May 17, 2012 10:55 p.m.

Fable III kinda sucked. Among other things, there wasn't much of a menu to speak of. I want a full menu system back. Fully open world would be great too. At least, it would be nice if it was more open than the previous games. Don't make properties require repair. Also, PC version at launch kthnxbai!
  • ShadowReaper666 - May 17, 2012 11:04 p.m.

"Take away all the decisions or make them more interesting" No just no, yes try to improve them but don't get rid of them as a long time fan of the fable series it would take away a great part of the game to remove them. I do however agree with quite a lot of the points mostly the ones about combat. My main problem with comb at is how easy it is, first time through on Fable 3 and I had the achievement for not getting knocked down which I would have expected to happen at least once. Furthermore they need to make it possible to die again to actually try and put challenge back into the series.
  • robotdickens - May 18, 2012 12:16 a.m.

First off, Fable 3 wasn't terrible, Moneleux just overhyped it. What I want is for Moneleux to die or completely take himself away from Fable. In his will/resignation, he gives the series up to the fans for them to be the sole deciders to what it will become. If the game is shit, then its on our heads and for once the game won't be crippled due to overhypeness. I would like them to take every single Fable game, combine the map sizes, triple that (at least I mean Skyrim has an entire world, what's your excuse Lion Head?), make the combat better than all of them combined (like Skyrim's), make the dog an integral part of the story kinda like Fable 2 but even more better (kinda like Skyrim's companions), make the people feel real (like Skyrim's). You know what? Just copy Skyrim. Seriously they'll be dicks for stealing it and probably sued, but at least they will finally give us the awesomeness of Elder Scrolls with the hilarity I expected from Fable.
  • samsneeze - May 18, 2012 1:27 a.m.

Fable 3 was terrible. Hype doesn't effect a badly designed game. It had shoddy combat, shallow characters, horrible end game, completely screwed player choice, illogical decisions, static world, pointless and money grabbing DLC, the worst menu in a game in recent years, frequent and long loads, neutered exploration, and lazily done NPC interactions. I can't think of anything that game did that was good. Well, I'd say that the towns and the area around Bower Lake looked nice, but that's it. Also, Skyrim has terrible boring one button, one note combat. If they made Fable's combat like Skyrim's they'd be making much worse. Skyrim's companions, at best, aren't any more interesting than Pokemon characters to be honest. If the people in Skyrim feel real to you, you should go out more.
  • robotdickens - May 18, 2012 2:33 p.m.

Well, you have to admit that he is partly if not in a whole at fault for its downturn. Fable was great, 2 was meh and 3 was like they copied and pasted 2 and took out some really good stuff and dashed a bit of other stuff. Skyrim is much more engaging for the fact of, "Holy shit where did that guy come from!?" Rather than 2's, "Oh look the screen moved back. Alright, time to charge up my spell that does infinity damage and either point it at a single character or use as an area spell." Skyrim has a slightly more varied selection of NPCs, rather than 3 different females for one area, 3 different males, 3 different male and female children, shop keepers, and guards. True, Skyrim has the same guards with a little dash of sex change, but at least I can see, "Hm, siding with the Stormcloaks made this Imperial town filled with Stormcloak soldiers" and bis versa. The people of Skryim feel paper thin to me at best but that's better than Fable 3's "attempt" at diversity. One black person? Really? The first Fable had at least 2.
  • ParagonT - May 19, 2012 2:12 p.m.

Skyrim may be more varied, but I think it's foolish to wish a game to be just almost just like another. It needs to stand alone on its own values and find its own way. I'm not saying that taking pointers and some features from other games is a bad thing, but that's worlds of difference than nearly copying them.
  • lewis-barclay - May 18, 2012 11:16 p.m.

"If the people in Skyrim feel real to you, you should go out more.". thank you.
  • ParagonT - May 19, 2012 2:10 p.m.

Thank you, you took the words right out of my mouth.
  • asspills - May 18, 2012 9:51 a.m.

I'll have you know I didn't listen to or read a single bit of Molyneux hype for Fable 3, and was still disappointed by it at pretty much every turn. The fun of Co-Op distracted me just enough to finish it.
  • FierceDeity - May 18, 2012 3:06 a.m.

Fable 1 and lost chapters were the best, they should bring back the humour and magic etc.
  • nemesisuprising - May 18, 2012 2:19 p.m.

Jack of blades...I mish youz T_T
  • shawksta - May 18, 2012 2:30 p.m.

I played all three games,it seems that fable 2 did the best with exploration.One thing that i hated fable 3 was that there is barely any weapons.The main thing that fable 1 had better was magic and being able to be stealthy.
  • El_Chiwawa_Loco - May 18, 2012 8:25 p.m.

Fable 3 was my first experience with the Fable series, and it'll definitely be my last. Though it did have some good moments, and was a legitamitely funny game, the experience just burned me out. The combat became tedious after the first couple battles (roll around and jam on the X, B, or Y button for ten hours) and there was really no reason to explore or collect. But what really gets me mad is it's story. Not because it has a bad story (C- at best), but because it could have been amazing if they had gone all out on the part of it that takes place after the revolution. Seriously, the story they had touched on a great theme: in the first part you go around the land making promises full of sunshine and rainbows (or something) to get people on your side for a war. And then the second half come along (where you become the ruler) and your forced to question yourself and decide whether or not to keep your promises, or break them for what seems like the greater good. Thats a great idea! And if they had just expanded on it (especially the second half) it could have been a wonderful A+ story that would have made up for all the games problems.
  • El_Chiwawa_Loco - May 18, 2012 8:28 p.m.

Sorry for bitching so much about Fable 3 (I don't blame you if you actually did like it). It just it makes me so much more mad to buy a bad game that COULD have been great then to buy a regular bad game.