• minimaxi - May 22, 2012 5:32 a.m.

just curious. anyone here who liked Lords of Shadow, do you play Lament of Innocence as well? which one's better?
  • BladedFalcon - May 22, 2012 7:27 a.m.

Lords of Shadow, easily. I liked LoI well enough, but it's a very flawed game, I mean, i reckon only Castlevania fans would truly enjoy it. LoS on the other hand is an unquestionably good game whether you are a Castlevania fan or not. The graphics are better, the combat is better, the level design is better, the combat is much MUCH better. Curse of Darkness would be a more fair comparison. LoS is still better, but CoD is a much more solid game, and it had pretty cool combat mechanics, such as the stealing system.
  • minimaxi - May 22, 2012 8:28 a.m.

This is interesting. I can see that you're as much a castlevania fan as I am, if not more. But I hated LoS, and loved LoI. I even consider LoI the definitive version of 3D metroidvania. Maybe LoS appeals to much wider audience, I guess. oooh I want to bash this game so hard but I don't want to start a fight with you in the comments LOL
  • BladedFalcon - May 22, 2012 8:50 a.m.

Well, as long as you keep your arguments rational and civil, I don't mind having a discussion of why you don't like it XD And question, have you played Curse of Darkness? it's also on PS2 like LoI, and is also developed by Iga. And in my opinion, that game is far better game than LoI not just in general, but as a Catlevania game. The bosses are better, the combat is better, this one actually has an XP and weapon system, and even the stage layout works like a metroidvania game. Anyway, I don't even know yet why you hate LoS yet, but I'm probably guessing it's because you take the mindset of "this isn't like castlevania at all!" Rather than taking the game for what it is. I mean, in all fairness LoS isn't really so much a Castlevania game, as it is a good action game with lots of Castlevania references and easter eggs. But Is till found it to be a very enjoyable game. Specially because of the ending. Because see, it took some twists and liberties that you would never been able to get if you stuck with the traditional CV Canon.
  • minimaxi - May 23, 2012 1:21 a.m.

Ok now I'm starting to feel like a lone weirdo here. First, yes, I've played CoD. While I don't hate it per se, I found it really boring compared to LoI because the level design just consists of long hallways with monsters ad infinitum. I quit mid-game but it didn't leave me with sour taste. For LoS, hmm where do I begin? Perhaps the combat is the most disappointing aspect for me. I found that the game punishes you too much for experimenting, making attacks outside the regular ones useless. DMC3 is a hard game, but sweeping from enemy to enemy nonstop racking up style points is exhilarating, and the system made it possible. You won't see that in LoS. If they wanted to design a more methodical combat, they shouldn't have teased me with these unlockable moves which I won't be able to use anyway. Boil it down to basics and perfect it, like Witcher 2. And the titan boss, well, let's just say I'm a huge Shadow of the Colossus fan, and mercury steam frankly half-assed that part. So there goes my rant, even with all that if there will ever be a demo for LoS 2 I'll definitely dowload it :)
  • BladedFalcon - May 23, 2012 5:49 a.m.

...And how was LoI any different than CoD in that aspect? Yeah, I know the levels themselves weren't as big and empty as some of CoD's, but they were filled with monsters ad infinitum without that much variety either. And the combat didn't allow for the variety CoD offered, nor did it have cool features like the stealing system. As for LoS... I wouldn't say it punishes you for experimenting so much as it just punishes you for being greedy. Which in my eyes is a good thing because it made you think carefully on how and when to approach an enemy. And as for the unlockable moves, save from the guillotine one, I found most of them to be useful in some way, maybe not all the time, but they had their use. I won't argue that DMC3's combat system is brilliant, and the better one, because it is. But I still found a lot to enjoy from LoS combat system, specially with the use of light and dark magic. But yeah, point taken for the titan fights. I liked them well enough, but they never reached the level of brilliance of those in SotC. Though considering one else else had really tried it, I welcomed it, even though it could have been implemented better. So all in all, I understand your complaints, but i do not understand how are they big enough to make you hate the rest of the game? Did you not like the story? the enemy variety? the characters? The artistic design? All of that are things that I felt LoS did really damn well, And added much more value and feel to the game. Still, differences in opinion are acceptable, and I respect it if you don't agree with me or others XD And well, it is good to hear you're at least willing to give LoS2 a chance ^^
  • minimaxi - May 23, 2012 11:04 a.m.

I quit really early in LoS when someday I just can't muster enough interest to put the disc back in to my ps3. This is where you'll say I should've given it more time but I'd argue being kicked in the nuts once is much better than being kicked in the nuts 15 times ;) Oh, and about LoI, the level design is more.... Organic. It's a thrill to explore. And that's what I meant by boiling it down to basics; whip. Jump. Dodge. Sub weapon. Just guard(forgot what it was really called). Tight!
  • BladedFalcon - May 22, 2012 5:30 a.m.

...Wow. So we're getting not just ONE Castlevania game, but two??? *proceeds to soil himself now this time* I am definitely excited for this one, specially since this is an official sequel to Lords of Shadow. Despite being more of a fan of the 2D CVs, I still liked LoS a lot, and I'm very interested in the sequel, specially if they have the balls to follow trough with the promise of LoS's epilogue, and make Gabriel playable in his current state. But honestly... The real reason I am so excited for this announcement is because if this is a proper LoS sequel, then there's an even better chance that the 3DS game will be 2D!!! I really hope that to be the case! :D
  • Clovin64 - May 22, 2012 4:27 a.m.

This is good news. LOS was one of my favourite games of 2010, and I'd love to see a sequel. Especially if Picard and Begbie are back on vocal duties.
  • taokaka - May 22, 2012 4:20 a.m.

As a southern-hemispherean I take insult to your opening paragraph because here it's getting cold and I feel left out by my lack of BBQ, seriously why would you bring that up in front of many Australian readers, it's like saying to a dog walkies but without having any intention of taking them for a walk. But anyway back on topic I'm not particularly bothered by this rumour as of yet, I could take or leave a new shadow of the colossus.
  • Jasman - May 22, 2012 4:13 a.m.

Lords of Shadow was great, but just short of excellent. Looking forward to an improved second go. Also, I'm stealing the phrase "bullshit vendors". Thanks :)