Topics

E3 Nintendo

• db1331 - June 8, 2011 5:20 p.m.

"Yeah, well I don't want to use any of that sucky weird shit anyway. I'm a grown man with my own TV. I have no-one to answer to in regards to its usage. Screw your alternative game display. And besides, a lot of that other 'innovative' functionality they showed off last night was just basic controller functionality given a quirky visual display. You know you're not REALLY throwing a photo at your TV screen, or hurling a ninja star at a tree, right? You're just using the touch screen as a glorified controller button to transfer data or fire a weapon." This is EXACTLY my mindset after watching the reveal. If all that sucky weird shit REALLY is optional, and you can plug in a classic controller and play any game with 0 waggle and gyroscope controls, I'll buy their new system for sure. In fact, I would totally buy a "base" version of the new console without the sucky weird controller if it would save me any money whatsoever.
  • reach110 - June 8, 2011 5:16 p.m.

Dreamcast 2.
  • PureDarkness - June 8, 2011 5:15 p.m.

Good points on both sides but I have one glaring flaw in the wii U side; you say that you won't have to buy all these peripherals, but looking at that controller this thing is just going to HAVE to be pretty damn expensive, I'm thinking 80-100 bucks per controller, buy two or three of those and you are doubling the console at least.
  • Manguy17 - June 8, 2011 5:10 p.m.

Well, I think it should be fine as long as it can be better than ps3, then it at least wont seem like a whole generation behind when microsoft and sony pull out new stuff, and the new controller looks like it could actually help hardcore games. perhaps as a tactical map to issue orders in tom clancy for example.
  • shawksta - June 8, 2011 5:08 p.m.

@mrsegeraves Your overeacting, the wii still had awesome games, the problem was that its,nitendo who makes the best games, only a few rare 3rd parties that wasnt crap. Mcn made his point, the gamecubes graphics were better than the tec demo. Imagine if the wii u's full potential is much better than the HD zelda tec demo O_O HOLY SHIT
  • Pruman - June 8, 2011 5:02 p.m.

I posted this elsewhere, but here it is again: This is a genius move by Nintendo. Everyone bitching about how "it's only on par with the 360 and PS3, where are the advances?!?!!" is totally missing the point. Nintendo's machines have ALWAYS used established, cheaper tech vs. the bleeding edge. This is because Nintendo machines don't do loss-leader sales and make profits from day one. Microsoft and Sony have ZERO inclination to start the next generation. Both of them treated Kinect and Move like a new console launch, which means they've likely added an extra 5 years to the current console cycle, barring a spectacular flameout. With this, Nintendo gets a system that matches them feature for feature and will last until the next generation starts. My real question is whether or not it'll maintain GameCube game/peripheral compatibility. I don't fancy the idea of playing Smash Bros. without my trusty WaveBird!
  • Robusken - June 8, 2011 5:01 p.m.

Well I'm glad I'm not the only one who is in a sort of Neutral state about the wii U. I see what its doing, I see how great the graphics are, I see how they managed to make a controller for the hardcore AND casual, but I still have that backlash from the Wii. Who knows, maybe even with all these new features the Wii U might still be full of party games and 3rd party hardcore games selling less.
  • FrozenMangos - June 8, 2011 4:47 p.m.

I think you're right to question the value of the Wii U. Ive already heard journalists praise Nintendo for being the first to release a next gen console... problem is that this isn't a next gen console! The Wii U is Nintendo finally catching up with Sony and Microsoft. When Sony and Microsoft release their next gen consoles in a few years this will look just as bad as the Wii does compared to current gen.
  • BackwaterRifle - June 8, 2011 4:46 p.m.

Technology is getting cheaper, honestly Microsoft and Sony are completely ripping you off with there contollers.
  • EvanSmith - June 8, 2011 4:44 p.m.

Great article. Overall I agree with er...Bold You more, maybe I'm just projecting my disappointment in Nintendo pertaining to these last few years but a lot of this innovation trombone everyone seems to be playing is giving me some serious Deja Vu.
  • MCN2011 - June 8, 2011 4:39 p.m.

You mean the Link vs Ganon demo that was subsequently surpassed?
  • Azralph13 - June 8, 2011 4:37 p.m.

Ok, I work in Retail, and big BIG BIIIG pointe here.LOOK at that controller! How much is it gonna cost!? Want more than one person in your house to play at once...thats big bucks!! Sony fans already get ticked off at paying the hefty price tag of dual shock 3, and this new Nintendo super-gyro-touchscreen-gizmo-doohdah is gonna be way more.
  • BackwaterRifle - June 8, 2011 4:33 p.m.

Pikmin 3 will be absolutely beautiful on this.
  • MrSegraves - June 8, 2011 4:32 p.m.

It's very exciting, but we really do need to be cautious. The Wii looked amazing when it was still called the Revolution, and that all went to shite. The tech demos looked freaking sweet for this thing though. And if Nintendo goes back on the console offensive? It'll own the video games market. It already has a stranglehold on the handheld market, and it is making a serious move on the consoles market. My concerns mostly center around the controller. It just looks too heavy. The great thing about controllers as they are now is that they are light enough to make marathon gaming sessions a breeze for the hands and wrists. The same can't be said for the iPad. It's simply too ungainly to sit around and play stuff for hours if you aren't sitting the thing on a table (and try playing fruit ninja without at least partially holding that bad boy up). I see the same thing happening with this controller. Basically, it would need to be light enough that after 3 or 4 hours of gaming, your wrists aren't completely murdered by the thing. I'm glad that this generation of consoles is going to keep going. It's been a great generation and I'm quite satisfied with graphics as they are now. Hell, developers are STILL pushing the limits on the consoles (just check out L.A. Noire or Mass Effect 3's graphics). They are finding innovation is systems that have been out for half a decade. That's impressive as hell. And now Nintendo is finally releasing a console that can compete with the other 2 graphics-wise? Hell yes! I really think that Nintendo's strategy for the Wii was to use it as a money-making hold-over. It was cheap (compared to the other 2), they sold so many units and accessories for the thing, it put them back on stable financial ground as far as consoles go (the NGC just didn't sell well enough), and now they are using that financial success to produce something that looks set to be a console masterpiece. At least, I hope that was their business strategy, because the Wii is a piece of shit.
  • shawksta - June 8, 2011 4:29 p.m.

Thats probably the best self argument I ever read. It does seem like a dreamcast but nintendos experience is better than that of sega and would know what to do but thats not the case so far there isnt a jump on generation, but we havnt seen anyhing. As said before, we just gotta wait and let this consoles true colors show, Nintendo can do I, they already got top dog third parties helping them, get full support plus nintendos first party and BAM!
  • Shake - June 8, 2011 4:25 p.m.

If this is the conversation that happens when you go off your meds then I say throw out the prescription! Great article and some good points!
  • monkeywolf - June 8, 2011 4:23 p.m.

....Too bad nintendo has been doing streaming SINCE THE GAMECUBE ERA, and they have already said the bird visual preview was running on the system, everyone who has had a hands on with the controller has said it feels good and is very light. The gamecube actually presented graphics BETTER then those shown at the Link vs Ganon target video (Metroid prime? Resident Evil 4 which was DUMBED DOWN so it could run on the PS2) Come on now let's not nut ride sony. And btw because someone is going to call me out on it, most of all this "next gen" crap people are on about was all originally in the dreamcast just to show how much every other company is actually playing catch up to Sega's ideas years ago.
  • KuwaSanjuro - June 8, 2011 4:22 p.m.

I'm really worried about Hooters, I think he may have a problem. I think if WiiU has enough support and the actual controller gets a more ergonomic re-design so its more like a controller with a large screen instead of just an iPad with analogue sticks. Also are they analogue sticks or sliders like the 3DS because I have heard conflicting descriptions.
  • Clovin64 - June 8, 2011 4:20 p.m.

While reading this, I kept imagining Mr Houghton arguing with himself in a mirror, Gollum - style.
  • darkraichu34 - June 8, 2011 4:14 p.m.

As amazing as the graphics on this thing are, Nintendo doesn't need it to make amazing games. Mario Galaxy was beautiful. The thing with Nintendo is that their first party characters don't need HD. Pokemon where you can see the fur would look weird.With the Wii U, I am only hoping we don't lose graphic styles like MadWorld or No More Heroes.