Specialization: Tevinter Fugitive
Role: Two-handed damage dealer
Personality: Violent, Broody, Emo
As despicable as Fenris may seem, it’s important to remember that he’s a former slave with a tragic past. Does this justify him punching through the chest of anyone who crosses him? Well, that’s for you to decide. If he sounds like your cup of tea, we’ve got you covered.
Fenris’s life of ruthless servitude has made him understandably bitter towards mages of any kind, so he’ll often clash with Anders and Merrill. If you’re a pro-mage type of person, it’s better to leave him out of your party when taking on a mage ally’s companion quests.
- Fenris is easily missable. Start things off by completing the “Bait and Switch” secondary quest during Act 1. To unlock that quest, read the letters at your desk after you’ve completed the “A Business Discussion” main plot quest.
- Completing the “Bait and Switch” quests grants Fenris his own mansion in Hightown where he’ll stay for the rest of the game.
- If you go back inside the mansion, you’ll have an opportunity to flirt with Fenris twice and boost your friendship score.
Above: Livin’ it up in Hightown
- Fenris can be picky, so it is crucial not to flirt with anyone else during this act (it’s OK if you’ve done so during the previous act) and definitely avoid sleeping with Isabela if the opportunity presents itself. Doing either could negate any potential romance with Fenris.
- As soon as the second act begins you can take on the “Speak to Fenris” quest. This is just to get the ball rolling with Fenris, and will work to uncover the larger necessary companion quest called “A Bitter Pill.” To fully unlock that quest, put Fenris in your party and visit any of the areas in the Free Marches. This triggers a cutscene involving a slaver attack, and the quest you seek will be unlocked after the battle.
Gift #1 – A Slave’s Life (Act 2)
- If the slaver attack scene won’t trigger yet, you can bide your time by tracking down Fenris’s first gift. It is found in a sack at the Elven Alienage in Lowtown at night.
- During the “A Bitter Pill” quest, you’ll find a female elf in the Abandoned Slaver Den. Ask her to come work for you, but make sure to tell Fenris that you’ll pay her when he reacts harshly. This will add a hefty +15 to your friendship score.
- At the end of the quest you’ll face Hadriana. After the battle, make sure to give Fenris free reign over how the mage will be dealt with. When the choice appears, choose “We can still find her.”
- After the quest is completed, go back to your estate and Fenris will be waiting for you. This is an opportunity to flirt another couple of times, and even bypass the next step if you’re friendship score is high enough. If not, don’t worry: this conversation should put you up to the 50% friendship point needed for the “Questioning Beliefs” quest.
- If you’ve reached at least 50% friendship by now, you can take on the “Questioning Beliefs” quest. Flirt with him here, and he’ll visit you the next time you return home at night.
- No matter what choices you make, Fenris will never move in with you.
- The first thing you should do is take on the “Talk to Fenris” quest. Immediately after that, Fenris’s Act 3 companion quest, “Alone,” will be available. During said quest, it may be obvious, but do not negotiate with Danarius and defend Fenris in any conversations that arise. When Fenris is standing over his sister, as shocking as it may seem, select “you deserve to die” to gain friendship points from your companion.
Gift #2– Blade of Mercy (Act 3)
- You can pick up the Blade of Mercy during the main plot quest “Better Served Cold.” It is found in a chest in the Secret Meeting Place.
- The next thing to do is complete the “Questioning Beliefs” quest with Fenris. It does not matter if you give him his second gift before or after this quest, as long as you do so before you take on the game’s final quest, “The Last Straw.”
- During “The Last Straw,” Fenris normally leaves your party if you side with the mages. However, if you’ve maxed out your friendship and given him the two gifts, he will be willing to stay no matter what you decide. Speak to Fenris in the Gallows Courtyard or Gallows Prison (depending on your end-game choices) to complete the romance.