Much of DICE's new Battlefield 3 clip is stuff you could see for yourself by downloading and joining the game's Open Beta – but if you're especially guarded with your enthusiasm, there's plenty of suggestions as to what you might consider being impressed by when you get online. There's a more practical purpose to the video too, though: those new to the series' Rush Mode and character classes can consider this a quick Battlefield primer. Will it stop new entrants getting killed by more experienced players? Maybe not, though at least there's something to aim towards.
With all the pyrotechnics on show, one might forget that this Open Beta serves a purpose in the game's development – at least, until the first time one encountered any of the download's more “work-in-progress” elements. It would be an especially churlish soul who'd complain, under the circumstances: much better to submit feedback to DICE on what needs fixing. The company's already building a list of fixes it'll be making as a result of player feedback. Here's the first round of improvements posted to EA's Battlefield Blog:
* Fixed occasional client crash when reviving.
* Fixed killcam showing glitched area under map if your killer is dead.
* Issue with spawning on dead squad mates fixed.
* Fixed a bug where shooting at a moving enemy could cause more than the intended amount of damage.
* Crosshairs for shotguns have been replaced with a new, thinner, art.
* A subtle low health screen effect has been added.
* Tweaked scores of Medals and Service Stars.
* Tweaked the Rank progression.
* Pushing prone on console will not play the animation twice.
* Fixed loss of Squad Leader after EOR at some times.
* Framerate stability fixes.
* The 3D spotting icons has been tweaked to better match the target’s visibility. Icons will show frequently less on mostly obscured targets.
* Fixed issue with crosshair disappearing after round transition.
* Fixed issue with crosshair disappearing after trying to deploy while the countdown timer still active.
* Squad list now shows specializations chosen, VOIP activity and dead squad mates.
* Non-working options in squad menu fixed: "Private" flag and "Switch Teams".
The Battlefield 3 Open Beta is live until Oct 10 – at which point the Metro closes its doors, Rush Mode slows down, and everyone has to wait 15 days until the game's released and the killin' starts anew. Had a try yet?
Oct 3, 2011