• BlueEevee - March 17, 2011 2:28 a.m.

For the first time I think a Pokemon title deserves a title like this. Black and White gave you the same old characters in the rival and champion department but redid the enemy team for the better. It gave a better enemy and N. Team Plasma had the weird effect of making you rethink everything and gave it a more realistic feel by seeing how they were in reality compared to what they showed. N started out as a strange person but I soon grew to liking him a lot when I started to understand his view points and even regretted how the game ended and wish I could have stopped him.
  • Sleuth - March 17, 2011 2:21 a.m.

A great list with very insightful points. Mass Effect 2 should have easily made it on here but that's quite alright.
  • festafreak - March 17, 2011 2:21 a.m.

Noooo! Where's Chrono Trigger!!! It was my first time travel game and it really twisted my head around when I was young.
  • Daruniah - March 17, 2011 2:20 a.m.

I remember KOTOR being the first game to really freak me out when the plot twist came along. It still gets me every time I play through it.
  • Kethmach - March 17, 2011 2:17 a.m.

First point- Star Wars KOTOR: Xbox. Not 360. Yes- it's BC, but still, it's not a 360 game. Second point- a ton of great games and great stories, but I am really surprised that Mass Effect didn't make it in. I've played all of these games except Grim Fandango and I think Mass Effect could have found a place on that list above Metal Gear Solid. It was a good story, but it wasn't on par with Mass Effect's epic story.
  • cuorebrave - March 17, 2011 2:04 a.m.

IF you're going all the way back to 1993 for a Gabriel Knight story, then this list warrants a mention of Star Control II! If y'all n00bs think Mass Effect 1&2 are an epic space opera, they don't even BEGIN to touch Star Control II's immense tale of saving the galaxy from a threat that makes the Reapers look like My Little Ponies. And with the idea for the Protheans LITERALLY transplanted from the almost-identical Precursors from Star Control II back in the early 90's (both techno-advanced races that mysteriously disappeared tens of thousands of years ago... both start with the letter "P", lol), it's safe to say Star Control II has inspired today's best Science Fiction! Can't we SC2 fans get some love, Gamesradar? Or have y'all not played this classic!?
  • Vulneratus - March 17, 2011 2:03 a.m.

Has anyone at GR ever considered that the reason you hold such a cherished place for FF6 is the very same reason a large portion of the internet gaming community does so for FF7? Nostalgia. It came along at a pivotal moment of emotional development, making the engaging story seem even more poignant. Dismissing the same mechanics at work for the next generation of gamers during the PSone's heyday with FF7 just seems ignorant. Having played both, I've never understood the huge disparity between the descriptions this site affords both games. @ThatFaninThePeacoat - Sadly never played the game (though im gonna get the HD re-release), but I have read the book. I cant imagine it sharing much with the book (it really really wouldn't make a good game). They probably share some thematic elements like 'slave morality' or the 'will to power' etc. Its not like Thus Spoke Zarathustra which has a central narrative, its more of a collection of philosophical essays in the classical sense (Well, insofar as Nietsche could ever be considered classical). also... lolz gamz rulz
  • ABACADA6494 - March 17, 2011 2:02 a.m.

did you guys forget about Shadow of the Colossus?! i think that this might be a repost of one of your older articles, right? well even so... Shadow of the Colossus guys!
  • HowdyCowboyCheesesBurger0911 - March 17, 2011 1:46 a.m.

This was one of the first articles i read when i first found this website, ah memories....
  • ThatFanInThePeacoat - March 17, 2011 1:33 a.m.

@ spawny0908 Agreed, except maybe just Red Dead Redemption and Mass Effect (the second one was short on story when compared to the first).
  • renegade2013 - March 17, 2011 1:28 a.m.

hell yeah KOTOR that was the best game ever i remeber playing that all day and yeah they do need red dead redemtion and mass effect 1&2
  • spawny0908 - March 17, 2011 1:20 a.m.

Needs Red Dead Redemption and Mass Effect 1&2...
  • ThatFanInThePeacoat - March 17, 2011 1:13 a.m.

I've always wondered why Beyond Good and Evil was titled that way. I've read Nietzsche before and he wrote a book with the same title, but I haven't played the game. Does anyone know if there is supposed to be a recognizable similarity between Nietzsche's philosophy in the book and the story/philosophy of the videogame?