• garnsr - July 13, 2013 1:28 a.m.

Dear God, this all sounds like something I wouldn't want to deal with. I guess I can see how it would interest people, the way car parts do, but console gaming seems like so much less work, and you get developers to learn how to use the hardware better, instead of the user buying new hardware to be cutting edge every season. More power to you if you like mashing all these things together, though.
  • wanderer000 - July 13, 2013 1:08 a.m.

Yeah, the first 3 parts are $20 more than the price in the guide so I stopped looking. The article was posted an hour ago :/
  • rcarrasco121 - July 12, 2013 10:31 p.m.

I always wanted to dip my toes into PC gaming (Steam and those cheap prices are so inviting.) but it seems so intimidating. I feel like no matter what PC I end up with, it'll always be left behind by superior rigs.
  • pl4y4h - July 13, 2013 12:18 a.m.

Steam sales son. Games are going for less than 3 dollars. 3 dollar!!!!!ktfvjfccf
  • Lichtius - July 13, 2013 2:21 a.m.

Look man, it's not about having the best rig and being the best. Leave that to the rich kids with more money than brains. PC gaming is all about building a rig that will be able to run games at a level that you are comfortable with and that will last you a few years. I built my PC like 5 years ago and only recently had to start upgrading to run things on the highest settings, and it wasn't even the top of the line parts that I got way back when I built it. What I'm trying to say is, don't be intimidated by the PC market. If you're clever about it it'll be an investment that'll bring you countless hours of joy, whether you're playing by yourself or with friends. Plus, everything is going free to play, with games like Planetside 2 and TF2 leading the charge, what more could you possibly want?
  • mothbanquet - July 13, 2013 2:35 a.m.

The man speaks the truth. I have friends who buy all the latest hardware...and their games don't even need it.
  • rcarrasco121 - July 13, 2013 6:51 a.m.

Thanks! That actually some pretty helpful advice. Time to start saving up some cash then.
  • MightyWumbo - July 12, 2013 9:36 p.m.

i need help finding a decent graphic card for my pc. been looking around the internet for sometime right now but i have no clue if my computer can run it!!!! still newbie on this, need a card that can run two monitors as well in the future! thanks
  • Bela1013 - July 12, 2013 9:05 p.m.

Here's my 2013 Gaming Rig build specs OS: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1 Mobo: ASUS MAXIMUS VI HERO LGA 1150 Intel Z87 CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K Haswell RAM: G.SKILL Sniper Gaming Series 16GB 1866 PSU: Corsair HX Series 750W Full Modular 80+ Platinum GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 680 FTW+ 4GB Hard Drive 1: Samsung 840 Series 2.5" 250GB SSD (Boot Drive) Hard Drive 2: Seagate Barracuda 2TB Hard Drive 3: Seagate Barracuda 2TB CPU Cooler: COOLER MASTER GeminII CPU Cooler Case: NZXT PHANTOM 820 Monitor: ASUS VS Series VS238H-P Black 23" 2ms HDMI LED Keyboard: ROCCAT Isku Illuminated Gaming Keyboard Mouse: ROCCAT Kone[+] Max Customization Gaming Mouse
  • ZeeCaptain - July 12, 2013 8:23 p.m.

Oh no, this article is wide open for the console fanboys to troll, raise the "better than thou are" shields!
  • BladedFalcon - July 12, 2013 10:27 p.m.

Not really. I actually wish all the sites did features like this more often. It's a useful guide for any console gamer that might be considering jumping onto PC gaming.
  • bradley-pellegrini - July 12, 2013 5:55 p.m.

Nothing super fancy in my build really. I haven't got around to crossfiring yet, just built a few weeks ago. Might add another GPU soon, and liquid cooling when I do. 1 x CORSAIR CX750M 750W ATX12V v2.3 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply ... AMD FX-8350 Vishera 4.0GHz (4.2GHz Turbo) Socket AM3+ 125W Eight-Core Desktop Processor FD8350FRHKBOX 1 x AMD FX-8350 Vishera 4.0GHz (4.2GHz Turbo) Socket AM3+ 125W Eight-Core Desktop Processor FD8350FRHKBOX 1 x ASUS SABERTOOTH 990FX R2.0 AM3+ AMD 990FX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard with UEFI BIOS 1 x Western Digital WD Blue WD10EZEX 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive 1 x XFX Double D FX797GTDFC Radeon HD 7970 GHz Edition 3GB 384-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card 1 x G.SKILL Sniper Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 (PC3 14900) Desktop Memory Model F3-1866C9D-16GSR 1x Mushkin Enhanced Callisto Deluxe MKNSSDCL120GB-DX 2.5" 120GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) 1 x COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 EVO RR-212E-20PK-R2 Continuous Direct Contact 120mm Sleeve CPU Cooler Compatible with latest ... 1 x RAIDMAX Agusta ATX-605BT Black / Titanium Steel / Plastic ATX Full Tower Computer Case 1 x Acer G236HLBbd Black 23" 5ms Widescreen LED Monitor ~1400 @ time of purchase. It was something like 1300 with rebates and I could have cut off over $300 by taking out my SSD and CPU fan.
  • Scavengre - July 12, 2013 6:06 p.m.

How does the Vishera perform I notice it about 6 months ago and thought it might be interesting as the power REQ is the same as my current setup (although I would need a new AM3+ Board as well)
  • bradley-pellegrini - July 12, 2013 6:18 p.m.

It's great for me. I upgraded from a 2010 MacBook with a 2.26 Ghz Core 2 Duo, so it's a huge upgrade for me. It runs a little hotter than some people like, especially since I do have mine OC'd to 4.6 Ghz. If you've got an aftermarket cooler for it then you'd be fine there. It depends on what you need it for. With 8 cores you can run anything that will come out for a while, but at the same time you'll never use them all. Looking at your current build I'd upgrade the GPU first. Everywhere I looked when i built it says that the Phenom II are still plenty powerful enough for gaming, and if you're not doing high end code rendering or anything like that an 8 core CPU won't help you any. I suggest waiting until they release Steamroller and seeing if that is still AM3+, because it will be easier on your PSU with the newer architecture.
  • Scavengre - July 12, 2013 6:28 p.m.

I run allot of 3d rendering Software, 3DS, Maya, Rhino5 and Solid works also I do a ton of work in Illustrator and PS. Autodesk CS 2014 "works" but when I use a second monitor my mouse indicator disappears (RAM issue I would believe). Adobe MS6 is a resource hog so again I look at RAM but my current board supports 16GB IIRC
  • bradley-pellegrini - July 12, 2013 6:37 p.m.

Then in my opinion you should upgrade your ram and wait on the CPU. You're running 6 GB of ram on a tri-channel. You should upgrade to 8 or 16 on dual channel. It'd be a better upgrade for a short time period than upgrading the CPU and would still be useful later if you upgrade the CPU. A lot of the 3d rendering is gong to be on your GPU not CPU, CPU would handle a lot of programming, but if all you're doing is graphics a better GPU would be a better option than CPU. Plus, when SR comes out you can be assured that the FX-8350 will drop in price.
  • Scavengre - July 12, 2013 7:08 p.m.

Yeah RAM and GPU are on the very tippity top of my list of upgrades ( i wanna run the Skyrim EBN mod ). But my PC is a tool for work as well so 8x cores seemed interesting
  • bradley-pellegrini - July 12, 2013 7:19 p.m.

You can't go wrong when you have 8 cores, but really you'll get more for your money if you wait and get a steamroller based CPU.
  • Scavengre - July 12, 2013 4:29 p.m.

My 09 Build While not as Awesome as a Current Gen build still runs every game I throw at it. I am planning on upgrading my Video and RAM as those are now much more affordable these days. 1 x Sunbeam AC-HUVB UV Blue (UV reactive) Clear Acrylic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case 1 x Rosewill - Select HDMI cable (6 FEET) 1 x ASUS M4A78T-E AM3 AMD 790GX HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard 1 x XFX PVT98WYDFU GeForce 9800 GTX+ 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card 1 x XION Supernova XON-800R14N 800W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Certified CrossFire Ready Modular Power Supply 1 x 1 Year Service Net Replacement Plan For Item#N82E16817190016 1 x AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Deneb 3.2GHz Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor HDZ955FBGIBOX 1 x Scythe SCKTN-3000 92mm Sleeve "KATANA3" 3Heat Pipes CPU Cooler 1 x Arctic Silver 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver Thermal Compound AS5-3.5G - OEM 1 x Rosewill RTK-002 Anti-Static Wrist Strap 1 x G.SKILL Trident 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2000 (PC3 16000) Triple Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F3-16000CL9T-6GBTD x SAMSUNG Spinpoint F1 HD103UJ 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive 1 x LG DVD Burner Black SATA Model GH22NS50 - OEM 1 x Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium SP1 64-bit for System Builders w/ Tech Guarantee - OEM 1165 @ the time of Purchase