• tehtimeisnow - July 15, 2013 5:48 p.m.

pc gameing is for poor idoiots that cant affard a xobx one
  • aman-haidary - August 5, 2013 4:13 a.m.

Xbox One's are for dumbasses who can't spell
  • tyler-hughes - August 25, 2013 1:43 a.m.

Poor? Idiots? funny you say that because 1. building your own gaming PC ( which you can customize the fuck out of ) is more expensive than an Xbox one, 2. you actually need knowledge of a) how to build a gaming PC and b) knowledge of what the parts effect and how they effect it. 3. I don't have to worry about squeakers or arrogant pricks like you on my MMORPG's
  • sandplasma - July 14, 2013 6:40 a.m.

That's my case.I got it before it was cool and in every ad ever.
  • MadMan - July 14, 2013 6:30 a.m.

This article is a bit dated, no? The GTX 760 is out now and will outperform the 660 ti, and is around the same price.
  • Shnubby - July 13, 2013 9:07 a.m.

Galaxy III Case Gigabyte 78LMT Motherboard AMD Bulldozer FX 4100 Quad-Core @ 3.6GHz 8GB 1600MHz DDR3 RAM Dual Layer DVD Drive 1TB HDD Some big beasty 650 Watt Power Supply Standard generic CPU cooler Nvidia GTX 460 Standard monitor/Keyboard/Mouse Runs any game mid-ultimate all for a price of £250. Super budget build and does everything you need it to.
  • medumdum - August 19, 2013 5:22 p.m.

another budget pc gamer like myself :D Thermaltake v3 black edition Fx-4100 @ 4.3 ghz (on stock cooling, very stable, much faster in games, i'd suggest you give overclocking a try) 8gb 1333 DDR3 Gigabyte 78LMT-sp2 (same as yours buddy) 500gb HDD coolmax 500w PSU (cheap and generic but surprisingly good) MSI AMD HD 7770. Cost me $320 because at microcenter, i got the CPU for $70 and it came bundled with the mobo for free, i run skyrim on maximum with buttloads of mods
  • mentalityljs - July 13, 2013 6:20 a.m.

Antec Three Hundred Illusion - $50 Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3 - $85 AMD FX-6100 Zambezi - $120 ZALMAN CNPS9500A-LED 92mm CPU Cooler - $42 16Gb Gskill Sniper 1866 RAM - $105 EVGA 1Gb GTX560 fermi - $190 Mini HDMI to HDMI cable - $10 WD Black WD1002FAEX 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb - $90 Total: $692
  • lon3wolf2002 - July 13, 2013 3:13 a.m.

An I5, is that the best choice nowadays, either I7 or AMD fx-8350 would be a better option for future proofing as they both handle multi-threading well. FX-8350's are £150 here and can live with the I7's on multi-threading, which maybe the way PC gaming will go to follow suit with the new consoles.
  • mothbanquet - July 13, 2013 2:55 a.m.

If you've got the money to invest then a PC is a worthwhile purchase but you need to realise that's what it is - an investment. You pay a little more than you would for a console but you get so much more out of it. It's not just the cheap games, either. It's the fact that PC games are built to last and they have mods that equal and even surpass the original content in terms of quality. I've been playing the Europa Barbarorum expansion for Rome Total War for two months straight now alongside SWTOR. I found I'd be lucky to get 10 hours out of a console game. Like anything though, you get out of a PC what you put into it.
  • StrayGator - July 13, 2013 1:38 a.m.

this build emphasizes CPU overclocking, which has small effect on most games (as it's the graphics card holding them back - overclock your graphics!) and takes some know-how, not something i'd recommend for someone eho looks for console replacement plug-and-play experience. also, the release of GTX 760 makes the 660ti a bad value. my guidelines for a balanced GAMING rig: - cheapest intel i5* you can find whose model number doesn't end with a T or P (low power parts). look for a K part only if you plan to overclock. * multi-threading / 8 core barely benefit current games (if at all), but with both next-gen consoles sporting 8-core processors (tablet/netbook cores, but still-), game developers may learn to harness the possibilities it offers and utilize it to an extent that compensates for the PC's higher performance-per-core. then an 8-core PC CPU would be beneficial for gaming. I wager the Uncharteds and Halos will reach that point in 2-3 years, with 3rd parties 1-2 years later. - Motherboard: something that works with the CPU (same socket). take note of the amount of USB 2.0/3.0 ports if it's of any importance to you (it should be). I won't delve into multi-GPU compatibility (complicates things) or overclocking (bottomless pit). if your'e interested in these topics, consult an experienced builder about your specific needs, expectations and budget. - RAM: 8 GB. saving few pennies for 4 GB will bite you back. more than 8 won't change much and it's the easiest thing to upgrade later. Lotsa Megahertzes are nice but not fundamental to the system's overall performance. LATENCY ("timings", usually looks like 8-8-8-24 or so) is more important - the lower the better. - graphics: for a single 1080p screen I recommend the GTX 760, the lowest of nvidia's current high-end range which sells for $250-260 midrange price. anything other than metro:LL or crysis 3 cranked to 11 is guaranteed to run at constantly smooth 60fps (these 2 games balance their "ultra" settings higher than what current technology can support). too much? the aforementioned $150-ish GTX 650ti Boost (make sure it's a "boost", the regular 650ti is a different card) will give respectable performance with every game you'll throw at it (with some concessions inthe most demanding titles). just don't expect it to age gracefully come the wave of next-gen ports. 1440p: you'd want to invest in a GTX 780 or (better value & performance, if your platform supports it) two GTX 760s. 4K / multi-monitor: you can't spend enough on graphics, but it doesn't matter because you're insane / insanely rich anyway. multiple 4K monitors: you'll have to cut on your defense budget. paying extra $10-20 for a card with a fancy cooler is usually worth it, as it'll run cooler and quieter than the standard version - unless you're going multi GPU, then anything but a blower cooler (single turbine on the right side) will raise in-case temperature and may hinder performance. - disc drive? might as well. - hard drive (bulk storage): no one knows better than you how much you need. - SSD: absolutely worth it, not necessarily in games. about everything you do with the computer will be much snappier, more like a smartphone/tablet than a pc. so which one? let's just say that the difference between the best and worst SSDs available is dwarfed by the gap between the worst SSD and the best HDD. If you aren't running a datacenter pretty much anything will do. - power supply: BETTER SAFE THAN SORRY. buy a premium brand (enermax, seasonic) and overprovision. as a rule of thumb, take 100w for the platform, 100w for the CPU, 50w for paraphernalia (drives, misc cards) = 250w so far. now add 100w-300w for each graphics card (the above recommendations? 650ti=150w, 760=225w) and round the result up if needed. - case: with so many sizes, features and tastes to pick from this is a presonal choice. that said, the phantom 410, despite being on the bulky/heavy side (and imo plain ugly) is a well ventilated, feature rich case for a good price. - soundcard? 99% of us can't tell the difference. - CPU cooler? good idea. even if you don't overclock, a good cooler won't be as noisy as the standard one, and will also enhance air circulation (lower overall case temperature). - X360 controller for windows: you need it.
  • Mr.YumYums - July 13, 2013 7:40 a.m.

Thank you! A lot of useful information here. Planning on building something soon as my laptop died (and never looking back at laptops for gaming, I've learned my lesson....) so all of this will help.
  • Mr.YumYums - July 13, 2013 7:41 a.m.

And I know you're enhancing the points in this article but I feel I got more from this one post that GR.
  • mentalityljs - July 13, 2013 10:44 a.m.

Also with the PSU, make sure it has all of the neccessary(and correct) power and SATA cables for your devices.
  • garnsr - July 13, 2013 1:28 a.m.

Dear God, this all sounds like something I wouldn't want to deal with. I guess I can see how it would interest people, the way car parts do, but console gaming seems like so much less work, and you get developers to learn how to use the hardware better, instead of the user buying new hardware to be cutting edge every season. More power to you if you like mashing all these things together, though.
  • wanderer000 - July 13, 2013 1:08 a.m.

Yeah, the first 3 parts are $20 more than the price in the guide so I stopped looking. The article was posted an hour ago :/
  • rcarrasco121 - July 12, 2013 10:31 p.m.

I always wanted to dip my toes into PC gaming (Steam and those cheap prices are so inviting.) but it seems so intimidating. I feel like no matter what PC I end up with, it'll always be left behind by superior rigs.
  • pl4y4h - July 13, 2013 12:18 a.m.

Steam sales son. Games are going for less than 3 dollars. 3 dollar!!!!!ktfvjfccf
  • Lichtius - July 13, 2013 2:21 a.m.

Look man, it's not about having the best rig and being the best. Leave that to the rich kids with more money than brains. PC gaming is all about building a rig that will be able to run games at a level that you are comfortable with and that will last you a few years. I built my PC like 5 years ago and only recently had to start upgrading to run things on the highest settings, and it wasn't even the top of the line parts that I got way back when I built it. What I'm trying to say is, don't be intimidated by the PC market. If you're clever about it it'll be an investment that'll bring you countless hours of joy, whether you're playing by yourself or with friends. Plus, everything is going free to play, with games like Planetside 2 and TF2 leading the charge, what more could you possibly want?