When you go into the Eternal Flame in search of Incinerate!, you might notice a corpse on the cremation table, search him, and leave. But wait! If you are observant, you notice a green button. Press it, stand back and wait. Out pops ashes. Well whoopdedoo for you. But on top, a glimmering Hacker's Delight.
After you beat the first level and get the "Completed Welcome" achievement, look back at your achievements. You will see "Completed Welcome" and perhaps "Toaster in the Tub." You will see that the "Completed Welcome achievement has a period at the end of its title, while "Toaster in the Tub" does not. After you progress in the game further, you will see that no other achievement has a period after its title either. Good game, but the staff needs to retake English 101.
Don't read this if you don't want to know the story of the game.
There are 7 research subject achievements, and then there's one for filling all research. Research is acquired by taking photos of the enemies. There are seven organic(?) enemies, and then there are the security enemies. Although the security don't have their own achievements, they still count towards the PhD. Here are tips for getting these achievements, if you need them:
1. Although you can (usually) only get a perfect picture score once on a subject, you can continue to take photos of the same subject for another 2-4 pictures (5 was the most I got).
2. If you don't get all the research before the final boss (little sisters are the hardest) you can take your Big Daddy Suit into all the other levels. Not only does it give you an extra 25% damage resistance, none of the splicers, big daddies, or security will attack you. This leaves you free to take photos of all the enemies you need.
3. If you "dealt" with all the little sisters and still haven't gotten the research for them, you can go to the beginning of the "Proving Grounds" level. Go to the very end of the track to the second to last "hidey Hole." bang on it with your wrench, then take pictures of the little girl that comes out. She will lead you for a short ways, and then go back into the final hole. GLITCH: if you do this more than once, the girls start to stack. I don't know how high it goes because I only did it once, but I think they can go into the wall. If you need to, go back to the beginning and repeat.
The only bad thing about this is that there is an annoying message that continues to flash "Ride the elevator to face **Final Boss**." This message will flash until you actually ride the elevator. If you follow tip #3, then you will have an annoying message saying "Take the **** Harvesting Tool" flash. This message will flash until you beat the boss.
Hopefully this will help you to not have to replay the game just for this achievement.
Aside from being one of the most fun plasmids in the game (next to incinerate), telekinesis has numerous practical uses:
1. Many times in the game you will see items far out of your reach, either too far up or blocked off by some busted gate; Using telekinesis even in the general direction of the item makes it come immediately into your reach.
2. Explosive projectiles can be incredibly annoying in Bioshock; with your telekinesis power you are able catch and send back oncoming projectiles from nitro splicers, rpg turrets, and Big Daddies (Rosies tend to throw proximity mines in response to you attacking them).
3. Almost any object can be picked up with telekinesis; try using trash cans, chairs, or even corpses to pummel your enemies. You can also incinerate a box, setting it on fire, then throw it at an enemy for added kick.
Ending 1 - Save all the Little Sisters you encounter in the game
Ending 2 - Ending B Harvest all the Little Sisters you encounter in the game
Ending 3 - Rescue all the Little Sisters in the game but harvest one.
Completed Welcome (Bronze) - The player has successfully completed the Welcome To Rapture Level.
Bought One Slot (Bronze) - The player has purchased one slot in any Plasmid or Tonic track.
Maxed One Track (Bronze) - The player has purchased every slot in one of the Plasmid or Tonic tracks.
Maxed All Tracks (Bronze) - Purchased every slot in all four Plasmid and Tonic tracks.
Upgraded a Weapon (Bronze) - The player has acquired at least one weapon upgrade.
One Fully Upgraded Weapon (Bronze) - The player has fully upgraded one weapon.
Research PhD (Bronze) - Max out all possible research.
One Successful Hack (Bronze) - The player has performed at least one successful hack.
Hacked a Security Bot (Bronze) - The player has successfully hacked a security bot.
Hacked a Security Camera (Bronze) - The player has successfully hacked a security camera.
Hacked a Turret (Bronze) - The player has successfully hacked a turret.
Hacked a Vending Machine (Bronze) - The player has successfully hacked a vending machine.
Hacked a Safe (Bronze) - The player has successfully hacked a safe.
Skilled Hacker (Bronze) - The player has successfully completed 50 hacks.
Basic Inventor (Bronze) - The player has successfully invented at least one item.
Avid Inventor (Bronze) - Successfully invent at least 100 items.
Ammo Inventor (Bronze) - The player has successfully invented all possible ammo types.
Historian (Silver) - Find every audio diary.
Seriously Good At This (Bronze) - The player has completed the game on the Hard difficulty setting.
Lucky Winner (Bronze) - Hit the jackpot at a slot machine.
Brass Balls (Gold) - Complete the game on Hard difficulty without using a Vita-Chamber.
A Man Chooses (Gold) - Complete the game on Survivor difficulty.
Platinum Trophy (Platinum) - Collected all other BioShock trophies.
"A Shocking Turn of Events"- Collector (bronze) - Found all collectable Roses in "A Shocking Turn of Events"
"A Shocking Turn of Events"- Expert (bronze) - Rescued the Little Sister in "A Shocking Turn of Events" in under 4:00
"A Shocking Turn of Events"- Master Electrician (bronze) - Charged up the Ferris Wheel 9 different times in "A Shocking Turn of Events"
"A Shocking Turn of Events"- Rescuer (bronze) - Rescued the Little Sister in "A Shocking Turn of Events"
"The 'I' in Team"- Collector (bronze) - Found all collectable Roses in "The 'I' in Team"
"The 'I' in Team"- Expert (bronze) - Rescued the Little Sister in "The 'I' in Team" in under 3:00
"The 'I' in Team"- Pacifist (bronze) - Rescued the Little Sister in "The 'I' in Team" without destroying any Machine Gun Turrets
"The 'I' in Team"- Rescuer (bronze) - Rescued the Little Sister in "The 'I' in Team"
"Worlds of Hurt"- Collector (bronze) - Found all collectable Roses in "Worlds of Hurt"
"Worlds of Hurt"- Expert (bronze) - Rescued the Little Sister in "Worlds of Hurt in under 15:00, on medium or higher difficulty
"Worlds of Hurt"- Rescuer (bronze) - Rescued the Little Sister in "Worlds of Hurt"
"Worlds of Hurt"- Tough Guy (silver) - Rescued the Little Sister in "Worlds of Hurt" using only plasmids, tonics, the wrench, and the research camera, on medium or higher difficulty
GamesRadar is the premiere source for everything that matters in the world of video games. Casual or core, console or handheld - whatever systems you own or whatever genres you love, GamesRadar is there to filter out what's worth your time and to help you get even more from your games. We deliver the best advice, the most in-depth features, expert reviews, and the essential guides for all the top games.