• slimjim441 - August 17, 2012 1:08 p.m.

Stop whining about Adventure 2. That game was awful whether you believe it or not.
  • jack-roletter - August 17, 2012 1:43 p.m.

Well, obviously not if your're the only one who says so. I can guarantee you that Sonic Adventure 2 is the most Fan Backed Sonic game out there to date. I can see why it wasn't up there, it didn't have any dramatic impacting innovations. It was simply an upgrade from a good game that had all the same gameplay, but took out all of the pointless bits such as the world, Fishing, and a hard to understand story. It even had a multiplayer function that was actually fun to play and wasn't completely one-sided in terms of competition. Also, if you were a fan of it, the chao garden was easily twice as large in terms of what you could do with your chao. And that is why Sonic Adventure 2 is superior to Adventure 1. Are you happy that there is actually a reason why?
  • slimjim441 - August 17, 2012 2:17 p.m.

I never said it wasn't as good as Adventure 1. I hate them both; 1 was worse; neither was good.
  • SonicTheBlueBlur2 - August 2, 2013 7:48 a.m.

Hating Sonic Adventure (1 or 2) is like hating Sonic 3 & Knuckles. You're a dumbass, and you should stop playing Sonic games and go hang yourself. Also, delete your GamesRadar account so people don't have to suffer any more of your ill-informed comments.
  • slimjim441 - August 2, 2013 8:27 a.m.

a) Don't tell me how to live my life. b) A hatred for Sonic adventure equating to a hatred of Sonic 3 is about as sensical as saying 'Hating Mario 2 is like hating Super Mario World.' False. The games have nothing in common save the namesake and characters, the former being a pile of feces so poor an excuse for a Mario title, it wasn't even a Mario game in Japan, and the latter being a legitimate Mario game. Same goes for Sonic 3 v Adventure. c) This was from over a year ago. why are you even still commenting here? d) Seriously, the Sonic Adventure games really aren't that good. Why do people get so butthurt about it?
  • Alienrun - January 16, 2014 8:31 p.m.

hey um why exacly do you hate sonic adventure 1 & 2? its not that I dont agree with you Im just REALLY CURIOUS as to why! I havent played them either, everyone keeps telling me "adventure 2 is the best" but Im a bit dubios about that. Anyways please respond! P.S. ROCKMAN IS AWSOME/EPIC!!!! NICE PIC! :)
  • slimjim441 - January 17, 2014 12:43 a.m.

I guess I don't hate the Adventure games, but I definitely don't enjoy them in the slightest. I saw the Sonic Adventure series as the herald to a new generation of Sonic rubbish where gameplay felt as clumsy as 3D Blast, they tried putting some seriously devious plot to Robotnik's... err... plots, and we saw way too much focus on characters like Amy, Big, and Rouge, and a myriad of other characters you didn't even know that you didn't give two hoots about. And when I say 'way too much focus' regarding these characters, I really mean to say 'why is anyone but Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, and Robotnik even in the game?' What it really boils down to is this: Sonic Adventure, while an interesting concept, set the bar for Sonic games requiring copious amounts of critter pals, overly complicated plots, and half-baked gameplay. If Sonic had stuck to its core like Mario did, we'd have two outstanding platformer series out there to love. Sure, we'd know what's coming every time; it'd be the same old 'Robotnik's at it again with some crazy egg-themed contraptions!' but, just like Mario, we'd never have to worry that the game might be shite. Unless it's Sunshine. Hmm, I guess Gamecube didn't treat either of them well, did it?
  • Alienrun - January 26, 2014 7:44 p.m.

it seems like we both issues with the story and style considering ive seen 2 full playthroughs of the game (im actually going to play the game for the first time right after im done posting this just to prove im not being biased) even if they are different adding characters isn't bad if its done right unfortunately for Adventure it wasn't really good either, Adventure decided to focus more on characterization which is a good thing but at a cost sacrificed enviorment style, Sonic used to be in an fantasy world and now is forced to be in a modern city consideringly clasing with the story of the 16 bit games speaking of which the genesis games have a much more complex story than most people know about, and im not just talking about making up a backstory as You go, look up the japaneese manuals for the 16 bit games and see that each game has a unique prologue introducing new concepts involving character interactions and actual dialoug (the only "classic" game in which the story is ovious from the get-go is Sonic CD) now you might be thinking "I don't give a dam about characterization" but consider that back during the 90's Sonic's character was just being "kewl, hip, and speedy" if he remained that way during his more authentic games he would literatly be a Mario clone, a mindless character with no soul, Sega wanted Sonic to be an "icon of gaming IN GENERAL (not just 16-bit gaming)" that way being a "sonic fan" would not have to rely on nostaltia (which is not bad but a game shouldn't just do that ALONE!) All this is an unimprovement in my opinion but that doesn't mean its bad it just "ruined sonic" in a way, on top of that I wouldn't call any of this reasoning to justify this game as "bad or unenjoyable" what I wanted to know about was THE GAMEPLAY! ive heard that the game is EXTREMLY AGILE (which is something you have to apreaciate just a little) and the level design is pretty complex (just like Sonic CD MY FAVORITE SONIC GAME!!!!) I don't know what you mean by this game being "clumsy as 3D Blast" I HATED THAT GAME FOR ITS RIDICULOSLY SIMPLE LEVEL DESIGN AND IS REALLY EASY I highly dought Adventure was that bad (espcacily considering I liked 2006 better) also I like complex level design difficulty AND story plus I prefer serious story over cartoony story (which kills new Mario games for me) consider that adventure 1 and 2 were the first 3D sonic games and they were very highly acclaimed (and good) for there time (and I don't belive in that BS of games "aging" so anyways explain why the gameplay is bad since I haven't actually played it (if I liked 2006 I should like adventure 1 and 2) P.S. have you played I Wanna Be The Guy its very hard and fun and free to download for PC you should definitely try it! :)
  • NowhereMan11 - September 28, 2014 12:17 p.m.

Playing a game doesn't prove you're not biased. In fact, forming an entire opinion of the game before playing it leads to confirmation bias. You already have aspects you hate (despite not experiencing it) and so when you playing it, your mind has already concluded that that aspect is bad. I hope you went into this with an open mind; while I won't pretend either titles are the best Sonics titles, they were some of the most fun experiences I've personally had in video games.
  • NowhereMan11 - September 28, 2014 12:25 p.m.

Mario Sunshine is phenomenal. Its presentation is probably still the best in the series, the music is as good as usual, and the puzzles were far more intricate than its predecessors. There are two common reasons people hate the game: 1) Voice acting, and 2) It's too difficult. Valid reasons to dislike the game, but not even remotely valid to say the game sucks. It's a highly acclaimed title.
  • SonicTheBlueBlur2 - August 2, 2013 7:49 a.m.

Hating Sonic Adventure (1 or 2) is like hating Sonic 3 & Knuckles. You're a dn idiot, and you should stop playing Sonic games and go hang yourself. Also, delete your GamesRadar account so people don't have to suffer any more of your ill-informed comments.
  • optimisticcynic - August 17, 2012 10:20 a.m.

I would also vote that sonic adventure two was much better then either of the 3D games mentioned and better then most other games on the list. though I will admit it is not as good as sonic 2 it should be second or third game on the list
  • into the sound - August 17, 2012 7:58 a.m.

I got a Sega Genesis when I was like 6. Sonic & Knuckles was the first game I got. Loved it.
  • zombi3grim - August 17, 2012 6:26 a.m.

I saw this and I was like "How can they make a list with only 4 games?
  • christopher-gardiner - August 17, 2012 4:19 a.m.

what? Where's Sonic Adventure 2? the best sonic game EVER!!! ok actually its the second best sonic game ever, sonic 3 and knuckles is my favorite
  • robertvilla1 - August 17, 2012 2:12 a.m.

the only sonic games should be on this list r the 2-D ones and classic sonic levels of generations becuse that the 2-d parts could been the who game by its self.
  • T.K. The Hedgehog - August 17, 2012 1:35 a.m.

the fact that they left out sonic adventure 2 entirely...makes this article null and void. :D c ya!! *speeds off.*
  • craig-hill - August 17, 2012 12:49 a.m.

I don't hate this list, but I did think you were having a laugh a little too often. Since when did Sonic CD get good past it's opening cutscene? The spin dash is broken and the peel out is given use because of it, which would be okay if the levels weren't slapped together at random... collision chaos is THE worst level of all time for it's poorly designed assets, most memorably the pinball flippers that don't work when you need them too. Plus sonic adventure 2 is every dreamcast and gamecube players dream, and sonic adventure (on the dreamcast version) had really bad load times and unskippable cutscenes, where as sonic adventure 2 was straight in and always action packed.
  • Crabhand - August 17, 2012 12:31 a.m.

Hm... I would have put Sonic Generations higher on the list, but it is still there so it isn't a big deal. Sonic Advance should have probably been on instead of Sonic Heroes, and I think Adventure 2: Battle was better than Adventure. Cool list though.
  • Errrrbo - August 16, 2012 8:25 p.m.

Sonic Adventure 2 isn't on this list? That's easily the best reviewed 3D game. It has an 89 on Metacritic. Sonic Heroes doesn't deserve to be there.
  • Cynos_Gohegdae - August 16, 2012 7:05 p.m.

I was hoping to see Sonic Adventure 2 up there on the list somewhere. That with it creating the plot for like 3 future Sonic games from it.
  • ThatGamerDude - August 16, 2012 6:36 p.m.

I like this list as I still think Sonic 2 is the best Sonic game still (However Sonic 3 and Knuckles follow very closely behind). However, I would've maybe replaced Sonic Rush with Sonic Advance 2. Sonic Advance 2 in my mind, is the definitive handheld Sonic experience. It offered the best experience out of all the handheld Sonic games in terms of what Sonic was originally designed for, speed. The difficulty was just right with early levels like Leaf Forest and Hot Crater providing high-speed sequences without interruption while later levels toned it down much less but made-up for it by implementing ingenious platforming segments.
  • blakjd24 - August 16, 2012 6:35 p.m.

I cannot agree more with the decision of sonic the hedgehog 2 at #1. The game was it's best in the genesis era and its very sad to say but I doubt that it will ever be as great as it was back then. That being said, sonic the hedgehog 2 introduced tails, super sonic, and had some of the best levels I had ever played in any sonic game. So that's my opinion.
  • san0ake - August 16, 2012 6:22 p.m.

Another great article as always Justin. As I've said before, for me Sonic 3 is superior to Sonic 2, but I've made my peace with the fact that I'm the only one who thinks that way. BTW, I've been listening to your podcasts while I work in a game developing company in Japan lately. It's something inexplicably great (and somehow bizarre) to create games while listening to someone talk about them. Cheers.
  • Turbobison - August 16, 2012 6:21 p.m.

Man, I do agree with this list. I'm a huge fan of Sonic 2. I think top down, Sonic 2 is the best one. The music is fantastic, the level designs are awesome, and adding Tails made it fantastic. I would put Sonic: Dark Chronicles on the list, but still great job.
  • christopher-hansen - August 16, 2012 6:13 p.m.

I really don't get why people consider Sonic 2 to be the best Sonic game. I think Sonic the Hedgehog (Genesis) is the best game, simply because it is the real Sonic concept, the original thing, the first. Just like 1985 Super Mario Bros. (Excluding Doneky Kong, of course, in wich Mario was not reeeally Mario, he was called Jumpman)