• Cyberninja - April 17, 2012 2:51 p.m.

They really should just make a top 7 RPGs of all time just so we can see CT as number 1
  • ncurry2 - April 17, 2012 3:24 p.m.

I'm sorry. Maybe it's just because the N64 was my first console so I subsequently only ever played SNES as an emulator but personally, I don't see how so many people can call it the indisputable best console. I did really enjoy playing through Super Mario World but I'd rather take Mario 64 or either of the Galaxies over it. Idk, the games on the list that I've played just don't warrant best console ever to me. But I know I'm in the majority on this one. To each his own I suppose.
  • ncurry2 - April 17, 2012 3:24 p.m.

*not in the majority*
  • CrashmanX - April 17, 2012 3:44 p.m.

It's this magical thing called Nostalgia and opinions. Much the same how I don't see how everyone loves Ocarina of Time. In my opinion, it's meh. Then again, I grew up with a SNES and a PS1.
  • BladedFalcon - April 17, 2012 9:46 p.m.

Except many of the games listed here still hold up really well. Several of them I played them for the first time just recently, without nostalgia involved, they are are pretty compelling games. Super Punch Out, Castlevania IV, and Final Fantasy VI are games I played no earlier than 2 years ago, and they are all phenomenal. So no, I honestly don't believe nostalgia is coloring things unfairly.
  • Javimetal - April 17, 2012 3:35 p.m.

The pic for FFII is from the Game Boy Advance release, not from the original Snes. I'd have included Terranigma, although it was only released in Asia / Europe, it have one of the most sweet and emotional storyline and characters of all time.
  • tyler_14_420 - April 17, 2012 3:44 p.m.

I'm shocked Super Mario RPG isn't on here. Created by the same people who made Chrono Trigger, it was truly an excellent RPG that introduced kids into the RPG genre. Chrono Trigger is a bit-heavy for the average kid, and Super Mario RPG was an excellent introduction into the genre with a simple understandable story, memorable characters, and simple yet addicting gameplay. Chrono Trigger expanded upon that with tightened up gameplay, an excellent story, and an excellent set of characters but playing Chrono Trigger when I was young and playing it when I was old, I can easily see that SMRPG is more suitable for a younger audience, and yet, is fun for all ages. It's a staple of any Nintendo-fan as it's one of those classic Nintendo games that is suitable for all ages, not merely because it's casual, but because it's approachable and entertaining.
  • FanofSaiyan - April 17, 2012 3:54 p.m.

I was thoroughly disappointed that Killer Instinct was not mentioned in this article.
  • Person5 - April 17, 2012 4:22 p.m.

While I think Mario RPG should have been on this list(like a lot of people) this is a fantastic list. I think Earthbound should have been higher up as it is probably my favorite game of all time (look at my picture) 6 is great and the games above it are in my all times favorite list as well, except Yoshi's Island, I'd take Super Mario World over that game in the number 4 spot.
  • Person5 - April 17, 2012 4:27 p.m.

also to add, I loved Tetris Attack, but since I lost my cartridge and had never read anything about it again I could have sworn I had dreamt it up. Also this article makes me sad, since I lost a lot of those cartridges, and whenever I'm lucky enough to find a copy in a store, they are all almost always above $70
  • thatgurl - April 17, 2012 5:05 p.m.

No way could Yoshi's Island be ahead of Super Mario World!! To me Super Mario World is number 1 followed by Donkey Kong Country then FF(6).
  • BladedFalcon - April 17, 2012 9:43 p.m.

Yoshi's Island has far superior graphics, far more personality, better bosses, Original and new gameplay ideas and concepts that worked beautifully. Don't get me wrong, SMW is a great game, but in what area is it supposed to be way ahead? aside from maybe the core gameplay differences that might make the came more appealing to different kind of people?
  • Person5 - April 17, 2012 10:07 p.m.

SMW didn't have the annoying aspect of keeping baby mario intact, the graphics weren't the thing that was superior but the art style, it definitely was original though, I'll give it that
  • BladedFalcon - April 18, 2012 12:43 a.m.

I honestly think the whole baby complaint is overrated, his crying wasn't nearly as bad as popular media loves to claim, and you almost always could catch him quickly if you knew what you were doing. I actually liked the mechanic because it gave you a chance to recover if you made a small mistake or got careless, but still made you work to get that chance back. And sorry, it's not only the art-style, the amount of graphical power, pixels, and colors that went into YI was vastly higher than what SMW offered, even without the handrawn animations. And really, SMV is actually pretty austere when it comes to graphics, even by SNES standards. It's by no means an ugly game, but there isn't really much in the way of it's character or stages that made you go "wow..." I mean, I know it all boils down to difference of oppinion. But considering I hold SMB3 as better than SMW, for me the definite Mario related game in the SNES is Yoshi's Island, hands down.
  • ncurry2 - April 18, 2012 6:50 a.m.

I agree 100%. As someone who just finished both of them last year (YI for the first time, SMW for the second or third), YI is just so refreshing. But SMW is still a fun game for sure.
  • forestfire55 - April 17, 2012 5:11 p.m.

SUPER MARIO ALL STAR! And um...MK III was good, wwf i liked, ninja gaden, tmnt, super ghosts and goblins was awsome, uh there was more, its hard to remember
  • forestfire55 - April 17, 2012 5:13 p.m.

Street fighter alfa II... more will come when my memory kicks in
  • forestfire55 - April 17, 2012 5:15 p.m.

Oh earthworm jim! dat was epic
  • Person5 - April 17, 2012 10:08 p.m.

Super Mario All Stars was just a collection, can't be counted
  • Person5 - April 17, 2012 10:09 p.m.

woops that should be for forestfire55, comment screwed up and fanfundy, I completely forgot about Secret of Evermore, that game rocked