Topics

Best

• BladedFalcon - September 6, 2012 3:57 p.m.

Hell yeah! And glad to see Ghost babel on the list! although really, I'd put it higher, that game was really fantastic. Also, I do agree that MGS3 is the best gameplay-wise, though I still prefer the first one, personally. The story in taht one is still by far the best, and even the gameplay on the PSX is outstanding to this day. Although, contrary to a lot of people here, I did like the twin snakes remake. The soul of the game is the same, and I'm pretty sure the voice acting isn't as terrible as they are whining it to be, specially if you go and compare it to the original. Also, complaining about over the top cutscenes in a MGS game is like complaining that there is platforming in a Mario game.
  • gilgamesh310 - September 6, 2012 5 p.m.

MGS 4 is the best gameplay wise. I think the story in the first is the best as well though. The voice actors phoned in their performances in Twin Snakes. As well as that Greg Eagles was replaced with a different voice actor for Gray Fox. The replacement was terrible. He had none of the emotion in his voice that Greg Eagles had. The music was also taken out of certain key scenes, like Sniper Wolf's death. This took away from them a lot. No other MGS game has Snake doing ridiculous stuff like surfing on a fucking missile while he aims at a hind midlfight with his own missile launcher. It's completely ridiculous and out of place. He's made out to be too superhuman. Some stuff like Ocelot twirling his guns was overexagerrated as well. I cringed through almost all the cutscenes.
  • BladedFalcon - September 6, 2012 5:15 p.m.

Hyperboles, yay! And well, different strokes and all, but while I love MGS4, I still think the game-play was better in 3, if nothing else because of the level design and boss battles, the beauty and the beast unit has nothing on the Cobra Unit, if you ask me. That, and I just love some of the mechanics in the game, such as hunting animals and eat them to restore health as well as managing different kinds of wounds. Also, you could argue the shop in MGS4 can potentially make things a tad too easy. Anyway, since I really don't remember the voice acting in both the PSX or the twin snakes version, I am not really in a position to argue if they truly are all that different. I just remember that I didn't mind it at all back when I played the twin snakes. And alright, so maybe some of the cutscenes went even more over the top than in the original... And yet in the original you still have a cyborg ninja leapfrogging around a gigantic nuclear-ready mech. So again, why do you take issue when there's over the top scenes in other places? specially if they are just action sequences like the one described with the Hind-D taht ultimately have no effect over the plot?
  • BladedFalcon - September 6, 2012 5:24 p.m.

Also, I'd like to add that. I consider MGS4 to be the best one in the terms of fanservice, due to all the references and crowd pleasing moments it offers. That being said, I think it also detracts a little when you speak of it as it's own game, since some of the best moments, IMO, are not necessarily original ones, but when they pay tribute to the previous games. The most predominant examples in my mind are two: The first being obvious: The arrival of snake to Shadow Moses in act 4, as well as the reminiscence chats with Otacon. The second one being in the final battle atop of outer haven, when the main theme of snake eater begins to play during the fight. Still at the end of the day, can't we just agree that even with some flaws, the entire MGS series is awesome? (With perhaps, the possible exception of the Ac!d sub series, can't really say I got into either of those.)
  • gilgamesh310 - September 6, 2012 7:28 p.m.

The core gameplay mechanics in MGS 4 were the best. The camera was finally manouevrable, there was a crouch button and the octocamo worked better than in MGS 3. I do agree that the BandB unit weren't a patch on the cobra unit though and the game was too easy. That's the point. He's a cyborg ninja. He's supposed to be able to do all that stuff. Snake is only human. He isn't. The first game portrayed him as a very capable soldier but someone who was ultimately human and could be broken. In The Twin Snakes he was virtually invincible. They are very cheesy sequences as well. They just don't seem to have any place in the MGS universe.
  • BladedFalcon - September 6, 2012 8:42 p.m.

Well, again, depends on preferences. The camera thing, for example, I actually didn't mind at all that it was fixed in previous MGS games, including 3, which did a good job in always showing you the angles you needed to see well, and if anything, I prefer rather than having to bother re-directing the camera every 4 seconds or so. And even then, the camera WAS actually maneuverable in MGS3: Subsistence, so you can't really call MGS4 having an advantage there. Also, the octocamo worked "better" in the sense that it was now automatic, less of a hassle, yes, but really not all that revolutionary, and yes, it makes the game easier. And finally... Well, considering all the shit snake went trough in MGS4, all the beatings, shots, burns, falls and all, despite having the body of a 60+ year old man... Yeah, I'd say he's a wee bit more than only human...
  • gilgamesh310 - September 7, 2012 7:38 a.m.

Top down cameras have absolutely no place whatsoever in stealth game. It's the one genre that you need to be fully aware of your surroundings at all times. It only causes frustrations as you need to constantly go into first person to try and see where the enemies are. Having a camera to rotate yourself makes a world of difference and makes the experience much more enjoyable. It was manouevrable in Subsistance, but that game was so rare that I wasn't able to play it until the HD collection game out, which was after MGS 4. It made a world of difference though. The shit Snake went through in MGS 4 was far fetched but it did make you relate to him more. The part where he was crawling through the oven may not have been realistic but it was still a great moment. It made you feel at one with Snake. Watching him do stuff like surf on missiles and somersault backwards some 20 meters and land on his feet is ridiculous. It just makes me cringe. The gameplay was also pretty uninspired in that. The first person aiming made it too easy and there wasn't really any improvments in the gameplay over the original game.
  • BladedFalcon - September 7, 2012 8:18 a.m.

Er... if anything, a top down camera allows you to be BETTER aware of ALL your surroundings in a stealth game. At least when it's well done, like in the first 3 MGS games. Because that way, you have a good view of what's nearby, even BEHIND you. Having a TPS camera that's always looking behind you makes it harder for you to properly be aware of your back, so your argument is actually contradictory. And dude, if i was able to find the subsistence editin in MEXICO back when it came out originally, I'm pretty sure you could have found it if you only bothered to look for it back when it came out. Besides, availability doesn't mean anything to the fact that MGS3 did something that you are assigning as a virtue of MGS4 only.
  • gilgamesh310 - September 7, 2012 11:24 a.m.

Not in the Metal Gear Solid games. It covers too small of an area. In the original Metal Gear games on the otherhand it worked fine. It banned out far and covered a very wide area. Having a camera that you can control yourself allows you to see what you want when you want. That way it's your own fault when you're spotted. I didn't contradict myself at all. That's true but we are talking about MGS 3, not MGS Subsistance anyway. It's still a separate game. They should have put Subsistance in the no.1 spot. I would agree that that's the best MGS game.
  • BladedFalcon - September 7, 2012 11:53 a.m.

...It doesn't cover a small area, it covers more than enough so that you can see anything that could spot you, AND being top down ensures you always are aware of what's in front, to the sides, and behind you at all times. Unlike the maneuverer camera of later games. Mind, i think the camera in MGS4 worked pretty well, however, I couldn't stand it in Portable Ops. Maybe it was because the PSP lacked that very important second thumbstick, but having to adjust the fucking camera every 3 seconds in that game was so unintuitive, and became so annoying that I stopped playing after the first few missions.
  • gilgamesh310 - September 7, 2012 12:26 p.m.

I disagree about MGS 3, but there's no point in arguing any further. I haven't played Portable Ops but I have played Peacewalker and thought it worked fine in that.
  • BladedFalcon - September 7, 2012 1:12 p.m.

Yeah, agree to disagree seems to be the best course of action here. Also, funnily enough, I didn't get to play peace walker because I had long sold my PSP by then. So I can't confirm if the camera got better there, and though I'll play it on the PS3, pretty sure that there they would make use of the analog stick, so I wouldn't know either.
  • bass88 - September 7, 2012 3:17 a.m.

Regarding the MGS1 cutscenes versus TS cutscenes, it's like this: one is like seeing a child play with robot toys (whilst making sound effects) from the other end of the room. While the other is like a child doing the same but insists on doing it in front of your face and shouting every sound effect. Both are rather silly but one is endearing while the other is really fucking annoying. Guess which is which. The TS cutscenes were directed by Ryuhei Kitamara, whose style has suited films like the awesome Versus and the enjoyable Godzilla: Final War. It grated on Azumi though. However, judging by The Midnight Meat Train, it seems as though he has calmed down a lot in visual presentation (still uses odd angles and stylized lighting). I wonder what does he think of the TS cutscenes now.
  • gilgamesh310 - September 7, 2012 7:41 a.m.

Completely agree.
  • The_King_of_Nothing - September 6, 2012 4:11 p.m.

I'd pick Ac!d over the second one and swap it with MGS2 and the original MGS1 over Twin Snakes, bur still a great list. MGS3 is definitely my favorite. It had the best characters and battles, The End, and added so much more to "health" that just vanished in MGS4 for some reason. Let's hope Ground Zeroes brings back more of MGS3 than MGS4 lacked.
  • azureguy - September 6, 2012 4:34 p.m.

At last, Snake Eater is getting the praise it deserves. The trailer for the game had the best music ever, same goes for the opening and credits song. And the boss fights are by far the best, I still remember how The Pain felt special because you only had a pistol and a shotgun at this point and I still beat him, and how each boss was getting more imaginative and better over time. It was traditional console hardcore gaming at its finest. Also, good to see that Twin Snakes is threated as a worthy remake of MGS1. To be honest, I never played the PlayStation version (which is excusable since I live in Europe and all non-english version had a terrible dub, so I wasn't scared from the series at first) but I knew that the story was surpreme none the less.
  • R_U_Guys_From_British - September 6, 2012 5:44 p.m.

Metal Gear Solid 3 finishing top. There could've been no other really.
  • Darkhawk - September 6, 2012 5:46 p.m.

GREAT to see AC!D2 on here. I had no idea what to expect when I started it, but I've probably logged more hours on the game than any other portable title I've ever played. A brillian mix of strategy, stealth, and gotta-catch-em-all card play. Everyone should play!
  • brickman409 - September 6, 2012 6:50 p.m.

I really want to play peace walker, I have a copy of it but my psp broke. piece of junk
  • Sjoeki - February 19, 2013 1:43 p.m.

That sucks, I presonally think it is one of the best metal gear games.
  • Godzillarex - September 6, 2012 9:18 p.m.

Great list! MGS3 really does strike the perfect balance. Although Peace Walker ranks higher for me, and in my opinion, Portable Ops should have been left out of this list. In all honesty, the abysmal Snake's Revenge is better than Portable Ops. Portable Ops has terrible controls, an awful camera, and levels that were designed specifically for the multiplayer experience, thereby making them ridiculously plain. Not to mention a story that is probably the most forgettable of the series. I'll admit it though, when I first played it, I desperately wanted to like it just because it was the first portable Metal Gear Solid. But try playing that game again and you'll see just how unplayable it truly is.