We Recommend

• bambam609 - March 8, 2014 3:08 p.m.

The list was just about spot on. I have not had the chance to play a lot of those games but the ones I have played have a spot and I am content with that although some games should have had a higher rating. But I feel they missed some great games for example Final Fantasy 7 (unless I missed it), Tomba, and of course one of my all time favorites The Legend of Dragoon. Other than that great job.
  • rcarrasco121 - March 8, 2014 2:36 p.m.

I actually really like this entire list. It shows what gamesradar is really all about. So what if some of these games had just recently come out? Does that mean they can't be considered great? And why do people take these things so seriously anyway? How can you say #35 should really be #34? At that point does it matter? If anything take this list of great games as a guideline for what you should play next.
  • wladodragovic - March 8, 2014 11:28 a.m.

Reading some of these comments makes me reminisce to the days when I first found out about GamesRadar years ago... There were so little comments, and they were all witty, funny and pretty creative! I adored this site! ... And now... Now there's so many readers and so many comments, and they're all YouTube comment material. Fuck.
  • Divine Paladin - March 8, 2014 11:23 a.m.

Maybe it's just me, but I don't think Tetris DS is a better game than The Walking Dead OR GTA V, or most of the list for that matter. I love me some Tetris but to put it so highly seems like a cop-out. Then again, a game I beat in less than two hours is the best game of all time according to GR, so maybe I should just agree to disagree with much of the list. But the representing thing should only stand for "best series ever," not "best games ever." It'd be unfair to a bunch of games if we just assumed that WW represents the whole series - when to some multiple Zelda games HAVE to be on a legit top 100 list. Even as a casual fan of LttP, I find it surprising that it got skipped (unless I'm dumb and missed it when scrolling through the list).
  • horrorfinatic - March 8, 2014 2:43 p.m.

What does length have to do with the game's merits? Portal is an excellently written and well paced masterpiece with a unique and interesting gameplay mechanic. It's a blast but it never overstays its welcome. It's as close to perfect as any game I've ever played. So the fact that it's only 2 hours...shouldn't be a factor, not to me, anyway. I wouldn't complain about an excellent movie because "It's only an hour and a half long."
  • Relayer71 - March 8, 2014 3:24 p.m.

1.5 hours is about average for a film though. I bet you'd complain if a 15 min short film was listed in a greatest films of all time list, no matter how good it was.
  • Divine Paladin - March 8, 2014 4 p.m.

Last year, Portal 2 was ranked 20th or so on this list, stating that it improved upon the previous game in every way imaginable. Guess what was ranked first? A game that was improved upon in every way imaginable. I have no problem with a short game getting into the top 100 (To the Moon is absolutely phenomenal despite its length, as is Journey). I wouldn't have a problem with a short game getting number 1. But Portal had absolutely no impact on me. It just exists. The dialogue is decent, and funny at times, yes. There were maybe four puzzles that kept me stumped for over five minutes, yes. But that's it. I had no connection to the Companion Cube, no hatred of Glados, no "wow, this is amazing" moment, nothing. I should've probably elaborated in my first post that I'm not some dipshit that values length in games (as an example, Skyward Sword would have been the best 3D Zelda if it were ten hours shorter - mostly because the filler crap would've been cut). That's not a factor. My point was that GR puts Portal, a short and in my opinion very unremarkable game, on this pedestal as if those two hours changed gaming forever. All they did was build a set of memes and an even bigger overrating of Valve as a developer. Anyway, I digress. My point is that I completely disagree with GR's choices at times, and that's perfectly fine by me.
  • TheBountyHunted - March 8, 2014 9:52 a.m.

I have to say, I cannot stand the whole "representing" thing. I think it is completely unfair to the other games it represents. Like how FFX represents all other 3D FF games. All of the FF games are so vastly different and are their own game. To clump an entire series into one slot is lazy and unfair to the other games. If this was a list of the greatest game SERIES, then it would be different, but "The 100 Best Games of All Time" implies games singularly, not as a series. I think they should let individual games stand alone, not clump them all together into one number.
  • Clovin64 - March 8, 2014 7:46 a.m.

I know this is a subjective list, so I'm not bitching in any serious way, but I need to say my bit: Final Fantasy VI should be a top ten game, surely? It's probably in my Top 5 games of all time. Tomb Raider is much too high for my liking even though I loved it, and Silent Hill 2 in NO WAY belongs at the arse-end of the list. Top 30 or 20 more like. Shadow of the Colossus has a good spot though. Alright, that's me for now. Nice list BTW.
  • obikwan03 - March 8, 2014 7:36 a.m.

The original Deus Ex??? Halo?? #1, and #2
  • noweareman - March 8, 2014 7:30 a.m.

Wolfenstein 3D Doom King's Quest Dune/Command & Conquer (Red Alert-Best!) Leisure Suit Larry (just 1 thru 7) Bioshock Infinite F.E.A.R.
  • Relayer71 - March 8, 2014 6:23 a.m.

Resident Evil 4 is top 10 material. Super Metroid should be #1 Chrono Trigger should be in the teens, not at #2 Final Fantasy 4, 6, 9, 10 and 12 were better than Chrono Trigger. Only including 1 per series is a disservice to many games (see FF above, also Resident Evil, Star Wars). Should have limited at 2. Where is Baldur's Gate 2??? Top 10 material. Phantasy Star series? Shin Megami Tensei 3? Blood Omen Legacy of Kain? Colony Wars? FF Tactics should be top 20 Jet Grind Radio?
  • sephex - March 8, 2014 4:41 a.m.

Why can't you just make an ARTICLE, why have to use this shitty pages?
  • apeman - March 8, 2014 6:29 a.m.

I'm no expert but the whole site looks like it is optimised to run on mobile devices. Including the flip through nature of the gallery.
  • sephex - March 8, 2014 6:39 a.m.

I'm using mobile phone most of the time, and it's horrible. Flipping through a bunch games every time just to see the number one.
  • hintzke - March 7, 2014 10:39 p.m.

That moment when Mass Effect 2 is higher on the list than Bioshock on nearly every list and then is behind it on this one. That moment when these lists are pulled out of a hat, and Portal is put at #1 for maximum trollage. No one likes that game. No one.
  • wladodragovic - March 8, 2014 11:25 a.m.

Hello, my name is No One, and I actually DO like that game. I really, really do. Played it, like, a million times. :)
  • waffle224 - March 7, 2014 5:56 p.m.

for team fortress 2, the mystery isn't why you aren't playing it right now, its who the 10th class is.
  • rainn'sgaydar - March 7, 2014 4:17 p.m.

I must say that I'm glad to see World make an appearance over Mario 3. I always felt it was better, but figured that was my nostalgia talking. I hope to one day play Super Metroid. I bought it when Nintendo had it 30 cents on the eshop, but haven't played it yet. But every time you guys update this list, I think about it. I guess that counts for something. I'd say my biggest disagreement is Tomb Raider in the top 20. Can't win me all, I suppose!