• rcastudios - December 8, 2014 12:36 p.m.

I am happy to see someone recognizing Destiny for the many things that it did ever so right. It's the most fun and addictive game I've played in some time, and crafted ever so well by Bungie. It will only continue to grow as more DLC is released. Destiny is GOTY. :)
  • DaveGoose - December 8, 2014 12:08 p.m.

hmmm Destiny at number 1 eh? I have mixed feelings about this. As a personal game of the year I love Destiny and it would be my game of the year. Yeah it has a lot of issues, but I have really enjoyed it. That being said if I was at a games site (Armchair journalism at it's finest about to come from me). I don't think I could have awarded Destiny number 1 for the year. The rest of the winners seem like locks to me. Not really a criticism of the list by the way. I appreciate the GOTY awards. It must suck being editors knowing whatever game you choose people will kick up a dirt storm. P.S. Are the Golden Chalices gone forever?
  • GR_LucasSullivan - December 8, 2014 12:49 p.m.

Such is our lot in life ;) And Platinum Chalices will be up on Friday!
  • DaveGoose - December 9, 2014 10:30 a.m.

Jackpot!
  • DaveGoose - December 9, 2014 10:32 a.m.

And why did I say Golden Chalices.......I'm embarassed
  • winner2 - December 8, 2014 12:04 p.m.

Destiny at 1? You know for every time this site does something that makes me say "this is why it's the only site I really go to", there's something like this where I seriously doubt your judgement. There is no way in hell destiny is even top 5.
  • NoblePariah - December 8, 2014 12:19 p.m.

I feel the same way. They will have some great articles that blow IGN and the rest out of the water, but then followup with this joke.
  • usmovers_02 - December 8, 2014 1:23 p.m.

Exactly. I LOVE GR and it's more focused content and have been visiting it nearly exclusively for years. Obviously things like this are opinion pieces but... I mean yeah it was an off year for gaming but... a generic and flawed even if still fun shooter as GotY? I'd have been more okay with P.T. as GotY even though I'd wholeheartedly disagree (even though I consider P.T. the greatest "event" in my gaming life). I haven't even played DA yet I'd be happier with it at 1. Alien offers a more consistent package, GRID doesn't deserve to be anywhere NEAR this list and heck I'd even take Mario Kart as GotY over Destiny. Destiny isn't a bad game by any means. It's even a pretty good game. Its just forgettable.
  • GR_AndyHartup - December 8, 2014 11:59 p.m.

We're running editorials all week to explain our passions for the games in the top 5. Did you check Max's piece on Smash Bros? My piece on (drumroll) Destiny will go live on Friday. Hope you guys at least read it and hear me out.
  • universaltofu - December 9, 2014 1:44 a.m.

Looking forward to the articles, but you guys owe no explanation, these lists are entirely consistent with the reviews and best of the month write ups that precede them.
  • usmovers_02 - December 9, 2014 2:17 p.m.

Of course they owe no explanation. But this is a website about games so... they should probably write some articles huh? I doubt I'll read the article because I got so insanely bored of Destiny right off the bat. I totally have NO issues with people loving the game. It IS fun. It's just not special to me at ALL and as such likely won't read an article talking about a boring and flawed game as GotY. I know it was a VERY off year for games and I know you can't please everybody with a GotY. Normally things like this don't bother me at all and this is far from a huge issue for me but for me Destiny is the very definition of AAA mediocrity. There have however been a few things over this past year that have caused me to lose faith in GRs judgement and this is definitely one of them.
  • universaltofu - December 9, 2014 2:55 p.m.

They did a review diary of the game, there have been articles such as : Worried about Destiny's longevity or level cap? You don't understand Destiny 11 small things Bungie can do to improve Destiny 10 things to do in Destiny before you die 10 things you need to know to understand Destiny's story Why Destiny players are smarter than Bungie expected 10 things Destiny and Borderlands could learn from each other Why CoD, Titanfall, Halo and Destiny are different this year, in exactly the same way Games with ultimately pointless backstories 6 things to know about MMO raiding before playing Destiny You may not even read the coming article anyways?
  • winner2 - December 9, 2014 2:29 p.m.

I will read it fully and consider it, but I obviously can't promise I'll agree with it. I did read Max's smash article, it was good. I'm looking forward to your defense of Destiny, because we haven't really heard you in particular talk about it.
  • GR_AndyHartup - December 10, 2014 1:27 a.m.

Ha - if everyone always agreed with my articles, that'd be dull. I've written quite a few pieces on Destiny, actually, but Dave did the review. With these editorials about our top 5 games, we wanted them to be written by people other than the reviewer. Shame, as I could read Dave's features about Alien all day!
  • freeden - December 8, 2014 11:55 a.m.

How does one have a best of 2014 list while it's still 2014? I'm also willing to bet that there are a number of games left to be played. First, no, Destiny is not GOTY. Not by a long shot. How does that overcome DA Inquisition? Second, if The Wolf Among Us is your pick from Telltale, you need to play their other games. Of the four games they've released this year, it's easily at the bottom of the list, with Tales From Borderlands being my personal highlight, but even Walking Dead Season 2 and Game of Thrones being just so much better. This list smells of being paid for.
  • Jacko415 - December 8, 2014 10:53 p.m.

Well teltale only really has TWO full games out this year, and STARTED two more. GoT and Borderlands arent complete games yet. (Much like Destiny, lol.)
  • freeden - December 8, 2014 11:27 p.m.

That's true I suppose, but even so, The Walking Dead Season 2 was the superior game. While Wolf Among Us was good, it was a game that kind of kept you at a distance. And despite the fact that Tales and GoT have only had a single chapter, that single chapter of Tales was better than both Wolf and Walking Dead. Wolf certainly wasn't one of the ten best games of the year. I think the biggest travesty though is certainly Destiny at no. 1, which I'm pretty sure most gamers would agree is not a no. 1 GOTY.
  • winner2 - December 9, 2014 2:34 p.m.

I haven't played Tales, but I have played WD season 1 and about half of 2 (won't finish it because I just got bored of it), and also Wolf Among Us. Wolf was my favorite of their games in this style and one my favorite games this year, I loved the hell out of it. I have read some reviews that speak poorly of GoT being very lacking, mostly because of how your choices for this first episode make no difference as to what happens. People have said they've replayed the episode completely differently and things happen the exact same way regardless of what you say or do. I'd like to hear why you like it better than Wolf. Do you just like the setting more, the story, or is there a more objective flaw in Wolf that you couldn't stand? I'm genuinely curious because I seem to be among the very few that like Wolf the most.
  • freeden - December 9, 2014 5:14 p.m.

Part of my problem with Wolf is that, while good and well developed, it lacked the presence of TWD season 2 or GoT. Tales is just outright fun, very well written, and has a great energy. Wolf, for me, was kind of forgettable while the others were quite memorable. Throughout TWD Clementne has remained one of the best characters TT has ever created. Im certainly looking forward to season 3 and catching up with her. I just didnt really connect with Wolf the same way I did the characters from their other games.
  • winner2 - December 9, 2014 5:40 p.m.

Ok, I see. I guess I'm in the minority then, I suppose it's mostly a matter of taste in atmosphere/setting.