• rcastudios - December 8, 2014 12:36 p.m.

I am happy to see someone recognizing Destiny for the many things that it did ever so right. It's the most fun and addictive game I've played in some time, and crafted ever so well by Bungie. It will only continue to grow as more DLC is released. Destiny is GOTY. :)
  • DaveGoose - December 8, 2014 12:08 p.m.

hmmm Destiny at number 1 eh? I have mixed feelings about this. As a personal game of the year I love Destiny and it would be my game of the year. Yeah it has a lot of issues, but I have really enjoyed it. That being said if I was at a games site (Armchair journalism at it's finest about to come from me). I don't think I could have awarded Destiny number 1 for the year. The rest of the winners seem like locks to me. Not really a criticism of the list by the way. I appreciate the GOTY awards. It must suck being editors knowing whatever game you choose people will kick up a dirt storm. P.S. Are the Golden Chalices gone forever?
  • GR_LucasSullivan - December 8, 2014 12:49 p.m.

Such is our lot in life ;) And Platinum Chalices will be up on Friday!
  • DaveGoose - December 9, 2014 10:30 a.m.

Jackpot!
  • DaveGoose - December 9, 2014 10:32 a.m.

And why did I say Golden Chalices.......I'm embarassed
  • winner2 - December 8, 2014 12:04 p.m.

Destiny at 1? You know for every time this site does something that makes me say "this is why it's the only site I really go to", there's something like this where I seriously doubt your judgement. There is no way in hell destiny is even top 5.
  • NoblePariah - December 8, 2014 12:19 p.m.

I feel the same way. They will have some great articles that blow IGN and the rest out of the water, but then followup with this joke.
  • usmovers_02 - December 8, 2014 1:23 p.m.

Exactly. I LOVE GR and it's more focused content and have been visiting it nearly exclusively for years. Obviously things like this are opinion pieces but... I mean yeah it was an off year for gaming but... a generic and flawed even if still fun shooter as GotY? I'd have been more okay with P.T. as GotY even though I'd wholeheartedly disagree (even though I consider P.T. the greatest "event" in my gaming life). I haven't even played DA yet I'd be happier with it at 1. Alien offers a more consistent package, GRID doesn't deserve to be anywhere NEAR this list and heck I'd even take Mario Kart as GotY over Destiny. Destiny isn't a bad game by any means. It's even a pretty good game. Its just forgettable.
  • GR_AndyHartup - December 8, 2014 11:59 p.m.

We're running editorials all week to explain our passions for the games in the top 5. Did you check Max's piece on Smash Bros? My piece on (drumroll) Destiny will go live on Friday. Hope you guys at least read it and hear me out.
  • winner2 - December 9, 2014 2:29 p.m.

I will read it fully and consider it, but I obviously can't promise I'll agree with it. I did read Max's smash article, it was good. I'm looking forward to your defense of Destiny, because we haven't really heard you in particular talk about it.
  • GR_AndyHartup - December 10, 2014 1:27 a.m.

Ha - if everyone always agreed with my articles, that'd be dull. I've written quite a few pieces on Destiny, actually, but Dave did the review. With these editorials about our top 5 games, we wanted them to be written by people other than the reviewer. Shame, as I could read Dave's features about Alien all day!
  • NickFury90 - December 8, 2014 11:52 a.m.

Saw this coming the way GamesRadar was the one website fellating this thing where everybody was giving it 7/10s. Doesn't make it any less disgraceful a choice.
  • Divine Paladin - December 8, 2014 11:44 a.m.

I smell clickbait.
  • Divine Paladin - December 8, 2014 11:46 a.m.

I also love the convenient back-to-back Destiny Dark Below DLC that popped up for me just now. Luck of the draw, but still hilarious. Like this list!
  • GR_LucasSullivan - December 8, 2014 1:14 p.m.

Oh you
  • Divine Paladin - December 8, 2014 1:33 p.m.

Easy joke, I know. You get back what you put in, guys.
  • AGPacman - December 8, 2014 11:43 a.m.

Some interesting choices here. For me Dragon Age Inquisition is my GOTY. First game in a while where I think I'll just do a couple of quests, then I look at the clock and its about 2 hours later. Already put about 70 hours into it and still have more to go.
  • bread_or_decide - December 8, 2014 11:34 a.m.

DESTINY? You must be joking.
  • BladedFalcon - December 8, 2014 11:27 a.m.

Personally, Shovel Knight is my GotY. Sure, it's not really innovative and it banks on retro nostalgia. But it's just so damn will created and full of personality, it left a bigger impression on me than any AAA game that came out this year. And while I never expected it to win GotY here, I do think it deserves better than the 17th spot, specially when compared to something like child of light, which was certainly original and pretty looking, but not nearly as well put together.
  • winner2 - December 9, 2014 2:35 p.m.

Agreed. Shovel Knight is glorious, it should be higher.