Topics

Best games

• rainn'sgaydar - January 31, 2014 2:03 p.m.

Bit of a slow month, eh? I mean, how about that Bravely Default demo, huh? Mostly in jest here. Haven't played either of those two for January.
  • BladedFalcon - January 31, 2014 2:28 p.m.

Jest or not, the Bravely Default demo is the only game I played that came out this month, and it was so damn fantastic. Even as far as demos go, I think it's possibly the best Demo I've ever played of a game, and it has a ton of content considering it's JUST a demo. I completed all the quest and got all the rewards and mastered all the classes, all in all, I think it was at least 14 hours to do it all, which again, it's INSANE for a demo, and it's longer than most games nowadays. Super pumped for the real Bravely Default now, and I might be tempted to pre-emptively call it the best game of February... But Lords of Shadow 2 comes out as well, and much as I loved Bravely Default, if LoS2 delivers on being as good as it's promising to be, that might take the cake.
  • Jackonomics2.0 - January 31, 2014 2:50 p.m.

All I know or bare to care on terms of Lords of Shadows 2 is that Dracula (I think, whoever your using) is being pushed as a villain and as such wants you to know it. That whole first person family eating boogaloo has brought up controversy equal to Trevor in GTA V, if the gameplay can hold up and try not to be stale or rip off shadow of the colossus, we're looking at a good game. And there's nothing wrong with having 2 winners. Competition, bragging faggots, fanboy wars, and all that shit is the reason for picking 1.
  • BladedFalcon - January 31, 2014 3:36 p.m.

Yes, it's Dracula, and well, it IS Dracula, he's always been a villain :P And honestly, from what I've read about that scene, I'm pretty sure it won't be nearly as bad or graphic or vile as the press has made it seem. And it IS trying to make the point that you ARE seeing the story trough the eyes of a monster, so a scene like that is kinda necessary. Having also played the demo of LoS2, it's a pretty fine game on it's own terms, the combat is way more fluid and varied this time, it looks so much better as well. And there was a segment in which you were trying to take doing a giant mech, but it no longer felt like a stiff SotC wannabe no did it forced you to go trough quick time events or hold off from moving. Rather, you had to avoid a guy that was shooting at you while you climbed, and also had to time well to jump over moving gears, and these were short sections punctuated by small segments of combat in different parts of the giant. So again, much more improved, i'd say (: And eh, I know, I was mainly working on the template GamesRadar is using, but if I love both games, then I'll love both for their own merits *shgus*
  • Jackonomics2.0 - January 31, 2014 5:21 p.m.

Yeah that was the scenes intention, your not in the position to decide, you are the monster, deal with it. If that's the case then good for it.
  • BladedFalcon - January 31, 2014 6 p.m.

Pretty much. Wether adding the little girl was too much or not is up to debate, but the justification and need for that scene makes perfect sense to me. And yeah, I promise you I'm not sugarcoating it, and if curious, pretty sure you can easily look it up on youtube or something XD
  • Jackonomics2.0 - February 1, 2014 12:58 a.m.

Adding the little girl wasn't the problem, its todays journalism that overexaggerates and comes to stupid ass conclusions that is the problem. I know you aren't, I saw the demo footage, it definitely looks like its fixing itself, damn, what's up with sequels fixing themselves nowadays and actually being better games? But then again its still too early to judge but we'll see, its leaving a positive note. The only thing that goes well this fucking long only to go entirely wrong and disastrous when its actually out is Sonic.
  • BladedFalcon - February 2, 2014 10:14 p.m.

I agree. But hey, when has the media NOT been sensationalist? And *laughs* yes well, try telling that to Sonic fanboys like GR's own Justin Towel, who seemed to think the last game was actually any good...
  • Jackonomics2.0 - February 4, 2014 8:30 a.m.

Eh i feel Sonic fans dont know what the hell they want, there's no other reason as to why they constantly post good previews only to give it a shitty review.
  • BladedFalcon - February 4, 2014 8:52 a.m.

There's the ones that give good previews AND good reviews, at least at the time, only for them to admit that the game was actually crap later, but again, not the same thing :P
  • Jackonomics2.0 - February 4, 2014 10:15 a.m.

Pretty much yeah. With that said lets hope LOS2 stays just as good as its previews.
  • BladedFalcon - February 4, 2014 10:47 a.m.

Here's hoping. Again, it helps that unlike with Sonic games, there's a chance for people to play the demo and see for ourselves. And from what I've played, the only way I can see this game stinking is if they didn't have a lot of enemy variety overall or if the platforming was suddenly of much lower quality than what was found in the demo. That, and them cocking up the story, but that's a concern present in ANY game in which the story actually matters.
  • rainn'sgaydar - January 31, 2014 3:32 p.m.

I just started it yesterday but have really enjoyed what little I've played so far. It was good enough to inspire me to preorder the special edition (I'm a sucker for soundtrack inclusion). I haven't even figured all of it out yet, but did get the ball rolling with the job system today. In fact, that's what inspired me to preorder. Certainly my personal game of the month, and as you said, JUST a demo.
  • BladedFalcon - January 31, 2014 6:02 p.m.

Yeah, it takes a couple of hours for you to properly figure it out, and also to fight against bosses, (That's when you truly learn the importance of brave points and defaulting.) but once it gets it's teeth sunk into you, it won't let go, and you're gonna left wishing it wasn't still 7 frigging days for the damn game to come out XD
  • rainn'sgaydar - January 31, 2014 7:08 p.m.

I went through that first cave they direct you to, but didn't really find much, which I assume means I missed something. Did I?
  • BladedFalcon - January 31, 2014 9:27 p.m.

Hmm.. probably, I mean, if they asked you to just gather x amount of an item, you just have to beat a certain kind of enemy and that's it. But if they specifically asked you to go to a cave and get rid of something or other, then yeah, you need to keep exploring until you find the boss. The boss itself is visible before you face him, and also, you usually find a merchant you can save with once you're close to the boss. Also, I'd recommend paying attention to your map when in a dungeon, it highlights the places you've been and which are still uncovered. if you get lost, that's a good way to get your bearings and figure out what area is still unexplored (:
  • Jackonomics2.0 - January 31, 2014 1:28 p.m.

Next month is gonna be ape shit ain't it? Theif, Castlevania Lords of Shadows 2, Plants vs Zombies Garden Warfare, Bravely Default(for US anyway) and Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze Im rooting for Thief and DK, even though im not playing DK, I have a soft spot for it and had a blast with returns at my cousins, so far im hearing its excellency and fixing Returns shit.
  • universaltofu - January 31, 2014 2:40 p.m.

I know, bravely default isn't even out yet, then Lightning Returns which from what I've seen looks interesting, then Lords of Shadow is what I'm rooting for. I want Thief as well, but I need more time!