• GamesRadarCollanderCooper - December 8, 2014 5:54 p.m.

Does GTA V on new gen not count?
  • through.the.key.hole - December 8, 2014 6:55 p.m.

I figure they aren't counting it because the Game was released technically last year.
  • GR_AndyHartup - December 8, 2014 11:54 p.m.

Yeah, that's exactly it. We love GTA 5 on PS4 / Xbox One (and PC should be amazing, when it arrives) but it isn't technically a new game. That's also why titles like Metro Redux (ace) and Tomb Raider Definitive Edition (also ace) aren't on the list.
  • punishment - December 8, 2014 5:53 p.m.

Top whatever lists are always a matter of opinion and I'm not gonna throw a temper tantrum over the choices. I am surprised Shovel Knight is as low as it is, considering I've heard more positive talk about that game probably more than the rest of the list combined (besides Mordor or Hearth). I'm not horribly averse to Destiny being number 1. That will be the game I spend the most time with this year as it reminds me of the classic Halo multiplayer that I sorely missed from choosing Sony. I'm glad it's here, and it will get heavy playtime until Destiny 2.
  • theguyinthecloset - December 8, 2014 5:36 p.m.

There is not enough love for Transistor out there and it's a damn shame!
  • through.the.key.hole - December 8, 2014 5:23 p.m.

I'm so glad HALO 5... oh sorry I meant DESTINY won game of the year! I played it for 4 hours and was bored out of my mind! There were way better games this year. Many Triple A games had there faults but we're still so much better than HALO.... sorry DESTINY... I don't know why I keep getting those two mixed up.
  • Jackonomics2.0 - December 8, 2014 3:32 p.m.

I can understand Destiny being #1, despite its many faults, the positives are worth it in the long run and its incredibly immersive. I can understand that sequels, no matter how many 10's or massive praise in that genre it got, will never be game of the year. but PT? REALLY? Its an overglorified demo, being in number 13 is an even bigger insult. ShovelKnight and especially Donkey Cunt Tropickle Cheese are extremely low. Alien Isolation being number 3 is only even possible because the Genre sucks dick normally but not in the same tier as say, Mario in 3D Platforming. The only thing you even did right was not mention Watch Dogs, Ubisoft is becoming EA faster than people realizing Activision still exists.
  • Jackonomics2.0 - December 8, 2014 3:39 p.m.

Evil Within aswell goes right with my statement about PT, that game was absolute trash but "OH THIS POTENTIAL", it shouldn't even matter when its a chore of a game to play, a different game could've taken these two game's spots. I love how easily forgotten Plants vs Zombies Garden Warfare was, if this keeps up on the quirky interesting games being forgotten so damn easily, Splatoon can kiss its ass goodbye.
  • through.the.key.hole - December 8, 2014 6:47 p.m.

P.T. is one of the biggest things to happen in gaming history. This is probably the most interesting and creative way a game has EVER been announced! It makes sense you missed how revolutionary P.T. is to the Game Industry (even if you don't like the horror genre) considering how much you praise Halo... I mean DESTINY. It's about as immersive as a Michael Bay movie... sorry those are probably your favorite movies...
  • JMarsella09 - December 8, 2014 3:20 p.m.

Good list. Honestly, Bayonetta 2 is my personal favorite game of the last year, but I can't fault you guys for preferring Destiny, Smash, et cetera. Opinions are opinions.
  • BuckNasty84 - December 8, 2014 2:51 p.m.

Lol, this comment section butthurt...
  • bigmac515 - December 8, 2014 2:30 p.m.

The lack of ORAS makes me sad :(
  • larkan - December 8, 2014 1:55 p.m.

Overall an ok list. After playing bayonetta 2,i think it's severely overrated. I'm glad evil within is low, but i would've easily replaced it with, well, anything. Seems a bit lacking in the pc department, with no divinity original sin or lichdom battlemage on the list. And destiny....well it was ok, but i honestly would rather have my $90 back to spend on something else.
  • _--_ - December 8, 2014 1:29 p.m.

--some of these entries seem like they are ONLY in there just to 'level out' the list's genres --and Destiny?(total joke) --but --i dont have a goty for this year --it has just been one of those years(ive spent much of the year avoiding games to keep my gaming soul safe) --i give the 2014 goty to Skyrim
  • Psylockerules - December 8, 2014 1:03 p.m.

im a big ninty fan and although i enjoed the time i had with Destiny i found its forgetable. smash is my number 1 and i loved Bayo2 and Donkey kong should easily beat PT, its just an impressive demo
  • sephex - December 8, 2014 12:39 p.m.

Guys, what would you have wanted to be number 1? If and indie game gets the spot, then that's the problem. If an exclusive then it is paid off. If you try to be at least a little bit rational, there's not a whole lot of games that deserved this title.
  • jake-sarver - December 8, 2014 1:17 p.m.

Ok so let me take a sec to extend an olive branch before i rant. I own Destiny, I love it. I have been following from conception. So what im about to say comes from a place of love because i do enjoy it. HOWEVER!!!! I believe that a full game is required to earn the title game of the year. Guys, love it all you want but you cant tell me that its not missing a bunch of key elements. The only tactical team work oriented part of the game is the raid, the rest is horde mode and shot gun fest mutiplayer. I'll even forgive those bits cause sometimes it can be fun but there is so little to do its astounding. Just step back and look you horde mode for the entire campain the bosses are cheap blown up versions of normal enemies and you have no reason for anyof it story wise. Holes all over the story and what lore there is isnt even in the game you have to leave you game go to the app to find out anything about who you are why abd what youre fighting... no its NOT OK TO DLC THE STORY!!!!!! I got the expansion pass but the game of Destiny on its own has no right to be game of the year. Finish your game before you release it. Then ill consider you eligible.
  • napalmer15 - December 8, 2014 8:16 p.m.

Dragon age or super smash bros, both exceptional games worthy of the award
  • GOD - December 9, 2014 12:11 a.m.

Dark Souls II. Came out at the beginning of the year in February, yet I was still playing it even before the amazing DLC came out starting in September. Massive game in terms of content, extremely polished in terms of quality, gameplay is very satisfying, areas and enemies are diverse, unique multiplayer experience, atmosphere is top notch, and that was all before any of the DLC came out which contains completely new and unique areas with almost 100% new enemies and barely any reused assets from the main game, which is saying a lot, especially compared to something like Destiny where a new level is a 80% in a map you've already been to, the last 20% in a similar new area in the same level that's barely different, and 100% the same enemies just with some a different name over the boss which is large version of a normal enemy with a different name. And yes, I can say that about the Destiny expansion because Bungie posted a video of an entire playthrough of an expansion level. Even the expansion trailer the "big bad" Crota looks exactly like a standard Knigth type enemy in the game with maybe some palette swapping and a different sword.