Topics

Best games

• _--_ - July 7, 2014 3:59 p.m.

--if you havent played Shovel Knight --you 'simply' MUST --you wont believe what it 'offers' -- --saying SK is OOZING with 'retro goodness' --is SUCH an understatement
  • universaltofu - June 28, 2014 12:06 p.m.

Shovel Knight is great so far, the theming throughout is fantastic. I'm still hooked on Watch Dogs at the moment, over 50% through and barely scratched the story.
  • Enemy-Dawn - June 25, 2014 4:43 a.m.

I think they forgot Enemy Dawn - http://bit.ly/1pVJCj1
  • bob94silent14 - June 4, 2014 12:54 p.m.

I am sorry, but Wolfenstein: The New Order kick Watch_Dogs BUTT!!!!!
  • winner2 - June 3, 2014 5:27 a.m.

DS2 is my favorite so far of the games I've played from this year. Some of the changes they've made from the first DS, I really like, such as how they now allow you to just press a button to see what certain stats do and how scaling works, explain covenants a little better etc. It's definitely near the top of my favorite games ever list, I beat it the other day and had a ton of fun. I think my only issues with it are basically the thing Ryan said about how a lot of the bosses just felt like people with swords, and personally I feel that in ng+ the ways they add difficulty are sometimes just bullshit. I'm specifically talking about the lost sinner (who happens to be my favorite boss for her design, story, and just the fight itself). However, I think it's my least favorite game in the series sadly. I never beat the first dark souls because I took too long away from it and got distracted, but I picked it up on steam recently so I'm gonna start a clean slate and enjoy it before I get back to ng+ on DS2. Now all I need is for demons souls to get an awesome pc port....MINUS the world tendency thing.
  • joachim-jacobs - June 2, 2014 3:10 p.m.

Hm, this post is wrong, Bravely Default was release in November last year... Oh right, Americans had to wait for once over Europe, my bad :p
  • j-reinert - July 8, 2014 10:41 a.m.

I am actually glad that you guys got something before us, I see it as unfair that NA always gets games before Europe. Honestly the margins are going away and hopefully soon we will see more and more international releases.
  • shawksta - June 2, 2014 11:45 a.m.

Aight, time for June! Not as powerful or not, Mario Kart 8 is frankly one of the very few games out there that can truly be called a Next gen Step.
  • RSQViper - June 2, 2014 10:32 a.m.

How in the actual fuck did Watch_Dogs beat out Mario Kart 8? Played both and MK is far superior, not to mention the bugs WD is riddled with. Its pathetic the job Ubisoft did with it up to release. It's so empty in comparison. MK8 is way better. Crazy.
  • Divine Paladin - June 2, 2014 11:45 a.m.

Yeah, I expected MK8 to win too, since GR's own reviews made it seem superior compared to Watch_Dogs. But Nintendoom has run strong on this site lately so perhaps I shouldn't have expected so much lol
  • j-reinert - July 8, 2014 10:42 a.m.

Gameinformer picked Mario Kart 8 over Watchdogs as their game of the month.
  • Divine Paladin - July 8, 2014 10:49 a.m.

Huh, wouldn't expect GameStop to push Nintendo, but to GI's credit they're usually pretty good. Some of their reviews are awful though (they butchered the Halo: Reach review).
  • db1331 - June 2, 2014 1:41 p.m.

The only logical explanation for Watch Dogs winning best game of May is if Watch Dogs were the only game released in May.
  • Vonter - June 2, 2014 10:06 p.m.

I suppose the logic is behind which game has more bang for your buck (no pun intended). Still for fun's sake I think Mario Kart is the superior game in that regard. WatchDogs looks fine, has more things to do, but it also looks very derivative, and it doesn't help that it's only good enough, after all the hype it got. Still I hope Ubisoft releases a Wii U version since it could only add diversity to the console and well... it's waiting for the MK 8 hype to build a larger install base.
  • Waldo - June 3, 2014 12:35 p.m.

Got to chime in here and agree that MK 8 is just more fun than Watch Dogs. I don't think I have run into any bugs on the Xbone yet, but there is something kind of lack luster about the game. Maybe we expected too much from Watch Dogs. It is a pretty decent open world action game with lots to do and see. MK on the other hand just looks more upbeat and fun and gives me a real "one more race" kind of excitement. Ya, definitely a good leap forward.
  • Clovin64 - May 1, 2014 8:03 a.m.

I've only actually bought 3 games this year so far; Bravely Default, Dark Souls 2 and Castlevania LoS2. Bravely was awesome, though a lot of repetition near the end brings it down a little for me. Just a little. Dark Souls 2 is my least favourite out of the 3 Souls games, but its still better than 90% of other games on the market right now. Lords of Shadow 2 sucked ass.
  • AvianFlew - April 30, 2014 9:42 p.m.

South Park is better than it had any right to be, but it's gonna take something pretty amazing to dethrone Bravely Default for me. That game is something I didn't even know I was waiting for for the last 15 years.
  • Redhood40 - April 30, 2014 2:10 p.m.

Really? No Second Son? I have played the crap out of that game and i still cry. Especially the Evil Ending. The Good Ending makes you sad but the Evil ending.....
  • Cadavra41 - May 1, 2014 5:07 a.m.

Second Son was fun but certainly not worth of a best game of 2014. Especially considering it had to go up against South Park: The Stick of Truth and Dark Souls 2, both of which are longer and overall stronger titles.