Topics

Best FPS Games

• Unoriginal - July 13, 2012 7:10 a.m.

The fact that Bulletstorm ranked higher than Metroid Prime hurt me. Hurt.
  • aequitas13 - July 13, 2012 7:10 a.m.

Thief II S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Metro 2033 No One Lives Forever
  • Travia220 - July 13, 2012 6:29 a.m.

What the hell is Bulletstorm doing in this list? The most god awful FPS ever created.
  • BladedFalcon - July 14, 2012 7:46 a.m.

Hah!
  • Bloodstorm - July 14, 2012 5:09 p.m.

Bulletstorm had some amazingly unique gameplay experiences, some of which are on my list for the most fun I've ever had. That said, I don't think it belongs on the list either.
  • ObliqueZombie - July 13, 2012 5:54 a.m.

BioShock: favorite game series of all time. Deus Ex (Human Revolution): my personal game of the year for 2011. Metroid Prime: the best games I've played on the Gamecube besides Super Smash Bros., hands down. Fantastic list, everyone. I would've added Metro 2033, though.
  • fourteenaha - July 13, 2012 5:02 a.m.

Obviously all opinions, but I would sub Killzone 3 out for Timesplitters 2. Killzone 3 was let down by a major anti-climax of an ending and terrible cut scenes and story for me. Still cracking gameplay as ever though. Obviously Timesplitters is remembered as a multiplayer game, but I still remember the joy of the single player campaign (in co op also). Chicago, Siberia, Wild West, all great missions alongside the yet to be matched multiplayer. Why no Splitters 4
  • diehardmetallicafan - July 13, 2012 3:41 a.m.

The darkness... Awesome
  • EwoksTasteLikeChicken - July 13, 2012 8:22 a.m.

Yeah The Darkness definitly should have been on here.
  • KidKatana - July 13, 2012 1:43 a.m.

I'm currently playing Crysis 2 and loving it, I'm sure there are many who disagree but I think it's a massive improvement on the first. The nanosuit abilities really set it apart and give you a lot more freedom than the average FPS, and it has a great weapon set, well-designed enemies, a brilliant sense of verticality to the world and fantastic pacing. Still can't work out why the player character is called Alcatraz, mind.
  • clearlight20 - July 13, 2012 4:59 a.m.

I completely agree with you here, KidKatana. Crysis 2 was one of the few games I was able to replay after beating it along with the Mass Effect series (although off topic from first-person shooter games). To me, I enjoyed the ability to choose a more stealthy approach and destroy the entire enemy force without take a single point of damage, go the short-lived indestructible tank with a mount turret, or go with the guerrilla warfare type character where you take out a couple enemies then lose them and come back to finish the rest off. Just having the freedom to choose, to me, caused the replay value go up.
  • KidKatana - July 13, 2012 7:21 a.m.

EXACTLY! It just opens up so many options, I love being able to play a shooter like a stealth game...and then turning on the armour when you're spotted and blowing the crap out of everything. I also really like how much faster and more responsive your character feels compared to the original...AND it's got the Bioshock-style character customisation...really looking forward to Crysis 3.
  • dlam - July 13, 2012 11:11 a.m.

yup yup totally agree stealth kill = funnest way too hard to pull off in multiplayer though x__x
  • Dadyo238 - July 13, 2012 9:19 a.m.

I loved the game, too... Until the aliens showed up. The fun of stealthily stalking the human enemies just goes away when the aliens come. They're just TOO smart.
  • Fox_Mulder - July 15, 2012 10:59 p.m.

I never had a good enough PC to play the original when it came out, but I downloaded it on 360. I played and beat the hell out of Crysis 2 before I played the original months later. Honestly the only drawback transitioning from Crysis 2 to Crysis was the freedom. Crysis 2 outperformed its predecessor in every way except freedom. The original doesn't have the sense of verticality you were talking about, but after playing both, 2's environment made me feel more constrained. The city felt more linear especially when the game told you where to stealth, armor-up, etc. when you pulled up your visor. I think the original's jungles gave the player more room to fight, and the game didn't hold your hand when it came to deciding how to tackle the next group of enemies. Crysis 3 is combining the cityscape and the jungles from the first two, and it will be my perfect game, if the visor doesn't point out your options before you choose them. Actually, if Crysis 2 didn't have that "hint" feature I would have enjoyed it more. The first one made me feel like more of a badass, even without all of the massive improvements the second one had. However, the original had a ton of sprinting over terrain for long amounts of time. I've typed way too long trying to be impartial and don't want to backspace all I've said above. My point is, I didn't like the icons in Crysis 2 telling you where to use your powers. But that's my only complaint. Sorry to make you who've read all of this sit through my paragraph just for me to make one point. I hope Crysis 3 has the option to turn these hints on or off, and if the second one had this option, then take comfort in the fact that I've spent a lot more time typing this and getting my thoughts straightened out than you have spent reading this.
  • wheresmymonkey - July 13, 2012 1:19 a.m.

Why is Deus EX in this list? It's not an FPS. It's an RPG. Which i'm guessing is why Fallout 3 isn't in it because they also are RPGs not FPSs. Just because something is in first person doesn't make it an FPS.
  • brickman409 - July 13, 2012 12:29 a.m.

i love metroid prime. not sure what i think is better bioshock or metroid prime both those games are so freaking awesome. Glad to see both of those on this list but Fallout 3 should have replaced farcry 2 its a way better open world fps
  • Bloodstorm - July 14, 2012 5:14 p.m.

Fallout 3 is generally considered an RPG, despite the first person element. Shooting relied much more on the level of your weapons skills than your skill with the weapon.
  • NanoElite666 - July 12, 2012 11:17 p.m.

No love for STALKER? What the hell? Also loved Metro 2033 and the original FEAR quite a bit.
  • bamit11 - July 12, 2012 9:51 p.m.

I would say Fallout 3 or New Vegas whichever you want. I know you could also go to #rd person, but come on, who actually played in 3rd person?