Topics

Best FPS

• Forsakenday - February 10, 2014 2:53 p.m.

LOL Halo 4 is by far the worst game in the series.
  • Child Of Death - February 10, 2014 3:03 p.m.

Haters gonna hate. Halo 4 has the best multiplayer in the series.
  • FoxdenRacing - February 10, 2014 3:52 p.m.

And fans gonna fan, just like this bitter ex-fan is going to bitter. Halo 4 finishes what Reach started, selling the franchise's soul to the 'Loadout Shooter' sub-genre in an attempt to not appear 'stuck in the past' for the new generation of guys that get bored if they don't get some shiny reward every 2 matches and expect get some sort of game stats advantage for sinking time. It's still in the Halo universe, but the multiplayer isn't Halo. Halo is a deathmatcher, a game that rewards skill, strategy, and consistency over reflexes and time spent. Halo starts you on a level playing field...'here's a pistol, find the rest on a map carefully balanced so no spawn point has an advantage'. Halo has simple rules: everyone has the same capabilities; there is no mechanical advantage to be gained before a match begins. Halo does not play favorites, giving dominant players consumable toys that increase their dominance. They may as well drop the Halo name at this point; These days it's Medal of Battlefield Duty: Space Marine Edition.
  • Child Of Death - February 10, 2014 6:23 p.m.

Please, comparing Halo 4 to Call of Duty is just freaking retarded. The core gameplay experience is the same as it has ever been with a few tweaks. 343 studios did a wonderful job with the campaign and the multiplayer. And guess what, your opinion is in the minority. Halo 4 sold extremly well and has gotten mostly positive reviews from everyone. I have been a fan of Halo ever since the first one and I still love Halo 4.
  • WaldoOfWhere - February 10, 2014 3:09 p.m.

What this guy said.
  • overrated44 - February 10, 2014 2:56 p.m.

I don't know if I'd specifically put CS: Source on that list...Maybe CS:GO or even 1.6.
  • treeroy - February 10, 2014 3:06 p.m.

I think GO is better than Source or 1.6. It's iteratively updated, and seems to be the same thing but more refined. Anyway, I'd put my bid in for Portal 2. TF2 clearly wins for best multiplayer shooter, though.
  • Wolfen2k7 - February 10, 2014 3:07 p.m.

counterstrike is not that good.. never has been. most of those shitty free2play fps games online are pretty much on par with it.
  • WaldoOfWhere - February 10, 2014 3:09 p.m.

I agree with every single one on this list except for Halo 4. Halo 4 doesn't come close to the perfection of #3.
  • FlyinHawaiian13 - February 10, 2014 3:24 p.m.

Halo 4 is barely a Halo game. Try 2 or 3 chief.
  • Child Of Death - February 10, 2014 6:28 p.m.

If Halo 4 is barely a Halo game then by your logic COD Ghost must not be a COD game.
  • FlyinHawaiian13 - April 16, 2014 6:56 p.m.

Ghosts is awful, so yes I agree with you there.
  • FoxdenRacing - February 10, 2014 3:26 p.m.

Great list; I came in expecting to see the greats, new and old, and saw almost every franchise I was watching for [Quake, Team Fortress, Halo, CoD, Battlefield, Borderlands, UT all made the list]. Only one entry I disagree with out of personal preference, most of my thoughts are 'But what about...?' Opinions first: I would've swapped Halo 3 for Halo 4. 4...and to some extent, Reach...tries too hard to build on the competition, rather than on itself; 3 perfected the pure Halo multiplayer formula. ODST was truer to the original's mechanics, but didn't have its own multiplayer, so that one's out. Other than that? I'd without hesitation nominate Tribes 2 and Timesplitters 2, though the latter may not make it for being local only. And I agree with leaving Goldeneye off. It's absolutely legendary, anyone old enough to play FPS when it was fresh and new has fond memories of it, but the gameplay has not aged well at all. If any of the GR guys are watching, though: What was the rationale for leaving some of the other big names off? Bulletstorm's co-op was great fun, but I could see that not making the list for having very little staying power. Duke 3D was another one great in its era, but I could see that staying off for simply paling in comparison to Quake 2, let alone Quake 3. The one I'm most curious about is Killzone, as we've hit pretty much every other big name of the modern era.
  • Seal100 - February 10, 2014 3:26 p.m.

Switch BO2 out for CoD4 and also add in Insurgency. If you have yet to play Insurgency you're missing out big time.
  • TommmmyGun - February 10, 2014 3:44 p.m.

Oh come on! If this is a definitive list then you must look at all consoles across all times. It's not that long ago! N64 was a stand out console with 2 titles. Golden eye and perfect dark. 1st games to use sentry guns. Amazing games. Ps2. Can you really have forgotten timesplitters 1 & 2? Benchmark games, I had the 1st one on launch day and still had it the day I laid my ps2 to rest in the loft. You cannot dismissed cod modern warfare (1) it started itall off. IIt's only on this latest offering that people are tiring of it. I have been disappointed with battlefield 4 so far. Multiplayer is very good but there are far to many bugs and glitches. I feel that will be patching up that game for years. Can't wait forsome stand alone ps4 games to come out not a cross generation game.
  • DryvBy - February 10, 2014 3:45 p.m.

Tribes is one of the best, hands down. Was the first big MP game I ever played.
  • SpookMeister - February 10, 2014 4:03 p.m.

Halo 4 was complete and utter garbage and it doesn't deserve any kind of praise or recognition besides being a huge waste of money, both for the consumer and for MS... Halo 3 was the best FPS there ever was, end of story. jk at least in the custom games department. idk/idc about competitive
  • Vi7riol - April 17, 2014 5:42 a.m.

Your comment is so extremely subjective it actually pains me to read it. Let's take a second to look at this objectively and apply some critical reasoning shall we? It is the best selling halo game to date, it expanded on an already diverse story, its multiplayer avoided stagnation by incorporating successful elements found in mainstream fps games yet retained core halo gameplay. What 343 did was truly impressive, yet it's with people like you that complain about how games aren't the same, and how past iterations are "the best FPS there ever was" that results in a lack of innovation in the industry. Yet, ironically, if they were to retain Halo 3's game mechanic and just update the graphics it would go down the route of CoD so very quickly and be followed by similar comments once more.
  • IamGT2Z - April 20, 2014 3:27 a.m.

Fans going to fan. Your retort is also very subjective with no evidence to back it up. Halo 4 is the bestselling halo game? Where have you gotten that from? Halo 3 = Global 11.89m http://www.vgchartz.com/game/6964/halo-3/ Halo: Reach = Global 9.54m http://www.vgchartz.com/game/35024/halo-reach/ Halo 4 = Global 8.99m http://www.vgchartz.com/game/51758/halo-4/ Dumbing down the core gameplay mechanics to make the game more “accessible”, not my words but 343i http://youtu.be/bjWQyGi5nME?t=35m8s, and copying other gameplay mechanics from more popular games is not innovation, it is stagnation. Halos game play used to be unique game, I still cannot find a game that even plays like Halo in 2014, 343i caused Halo to have identity crises, and it’s a game that does not appeal to the masses or hard-core fans. This is supported by the mass exodus of online players, on November the 7th 2012 there were 410,534 players online; six months later on May the 7th 2013 there were only 31,506, that is a drop of 379,028 players in only six months. We do want innovation and change, but change that does not add gimmicks from other games to create more sales, these changes need to be tested and balanced, not just added in to make it more desirable to CoD/Battlefield fans. Halo was a unique game but now it is just another CoD/Battlefield clone with some Halo like elements. When adding these gimmicks they have failed to fix any of the faults of the previous games, such as the lag or netcode or balance of the game. I would like to play a Halo that I do not get shot through walls constantly, for example here is a screenshot I took from Reach of me being shot through a wall https://companion.halo.xbox.com/Screenshot.ashx?fid=29608681&size=Full
  • dudinacas - April 20, 2014 1:44 p.m.

Haters gonna hate I guess. There's no stopping him.
  • Shigeruken - February 10, 2014 11:59 p.m.

Bad Company 2 is significantly better than Battlefield 3. BF3's neutered destruction, poor net code, and muddled class creation keep it from being as great as BC2, despite the return of 64 player matches.
  • kevin-wakefield - April 5, 2014 2:58 p.m.

Half-Life 2? ....no? ....ok.....
  • cmitch - April 16, 2014 5:22 p.m.

Really? HL2's MP? You mean HL2 Deathmatch? Most people haven't even played a single match of it.