• skoalman - June 30, 2011 3:07 a.m.

Battlefield 2 by far is the best first person shooter out to date...Tanks, helicopters, jeeps, stationary weps(all in a variety mind you) large and small maps and a DESTRUCTABLE enviorment. And you ask how can it get better in BF3.... graphics are sick! Dice delivered Scofield, you aint got sh*t on frosty...stay with that old ass glitchy engine and you'll have your camping ass sniping customers bye it again! Dice is miles above the competion.
  • hullonotna - June 30, 2011 2:31 a.m.

Dick measuring contest anyone ;)
  • AttroPheed - June 30, 2011 2:18 a.m.

Either one will be at ~60fps on a halfway decent PC. One will just look a helluva lot better. He must be trying to whip the proles into a frenzy.
  • QLev - June 30, 2011 1:47 a.m.

Actually I believe that the image is running at 1 frame per second, not zero...
  • Brumbek - June 30, 2011 1:45 a.m.

60 FPS? I've been playing at 100+ FPS for years on my PC...imagine if all the console players knew what they were missing... But yeah, 60 FPS will clearly be better on the consoles, not that I'd ever play a first-person shooter on a console...
  • OsoTurboDrog - June 30, 2011 1:42 a.m.

well BF3 will have fully destructible enviroments, vehicles, ass kicking sound effects (the weapons in bad company 2 sounded righteous, the sniper rifle was like the wrtah of god) meanwhile Cod MW3 will have familiar (but exciting gameplay, 60 fps, and epic setpieces so they're very different and the name-calling is unwarranted... both experiences are very different in approach but honestly while i enjoy both i'm kinda tired of MW3 (but i'll probably buy it anyway after a price drop)
  • wolfboy20 - June 30, 2011 1:37 a.m.

Hey Scofield! wanna know why bf3 and other bfs run @ 30 fps on consoles?? its because of the better graphics, the vehicles and the player count! not only that but sony and m$crosoft impose bandwidth limits on their consoles as well! srsly cod is using the same outdated engine and same gameplay as before...it brings nothing new to the table..
  • ahuythgtenf - June 30, 2011 1:20 a.m.

What a moron, since when did 60fps ever be that big a deal anyway? I'm sure you could get Mario to run at 60fps but it would still look shitty. Fuck that guy for thinking stagnation is OK. I'll run it at 60fps anyway on PC since consoles are for plebs anyway.
  • AlphaAGENT144 - June 30, 2011 1:06 a.m.

oh look another recycled game i find it funny that CoD basically has used the same engine for every game, just updating the GRAPHICS!!!1111 cause they seem to matter more than actual gameplay
  • MySistersMenstruationTastesFunny - June 30, 2011 12:49 a.m.

As long as it's running 30+ FPS, I really can't tell that much of a difference. I know that they are really different experiences, but yeah, I'll take the rate hit for a game that caters more to my taste.
  • Gavo - June 30, 2011 12:34 a.m.

Yes, I do agree it is a competitive edge to have a game that runs at 60 FPS. If the battlefield is massive, not, as AirickG said, 60 square feet. Otherwise, I'll take my 64-person battlefields, thanks (PC).
  • HumorTumor - June 30, 2011 12:14 a.m.

So he's basically making excuses for not using a new engine after 5 or so games, while it seems Dice is constantly revamping and drastically improving theirs for new experiences. Sounds like he is just trying to draw attention away from the cut and paste style that CoD has become. Also, Bad Company 2 is 30 fps and I vastly prefer that to any CoD title.
  • MajorPonch - June 29, 2011 11:56 p.m.

What a pretentious twat. FPS doesn't matter if the game sucks. He needs to focus more on the fact that Battlefield 3 looks like a PHENOMENAL game and not so much on FPS or the engine it uses. BF and CoD are both great games and have been for years, but at least Battlefield reinvents itself once in a while.
  • Spade103 - June 29, 2011 11:47 p.m.

"You don't ship a new game, you ship a reskinned copy of last years game for full price" - Infinity Ward, Treyarch, Sledgehammer, Raven Software, Activision
  • BleedingHatMcGillicutty - June 30, 2011 4:13 p.m.

I haven't played a Battlefield since Bad Company, but I must say that the new one has me really excited. As a long time CoD fan I agree that it has gone really stale and I think I'm done with it. I'm tired of the modern shooter in general, but 60 player multiplayer with the level of quality Dice can provide is incredibly enticing. If that means it takes a FPS hit then so be it. @wolfboy20 I think you mean Microsoft. Not M$crosoft. In addition to "$" not being a letter, the word also has an "i" in it. As Dan Amrich sings, "You should learn to spell." And no, I'm not a fanboy. I have all three current gen consoles and a gaming PC. I like your profile picture, though.
  • festafreak - June 30, 2011 3:20 p.m.

Well infinity ward, this 'named engine' is already being sold to other game devs to make other games with. I don't see your awesome engine being used to that purpose. (CoD13 doesn't count). I play PC and I always shoot for the 30FPS range. It's smooth enough for me and I don't have to sacrifice some eye candy to get 60FPS.
  • alphafour - June 30, 2011 3:05 p.m.

Unfortunately more people will still buy MW3 just because it's the obvious choice for casual gamers. The same reason people might just buy a new Henry Hoover rather a Dyson because they don't want some fancy new product, they want something familiar. Unfortunately for us (hardcore gamers who want to push the boundaries) Activision has an intelligent business team, which obviously sticks to the notion that maximum sales - minimum cost = maximum profit.. I would imagine that it's cost EA/DICE a lot more to make BF3 because they need to create brand new assets. That's gonna come out of revenue directly in labour costs. What I'm trying to say is, if people keep buying, Activision will never change COD. Why should they? If I can sell a pencil for £30, why should I stop just because someone else thinks I'm not offering good value or innovation? When the casual gamers stop buying... they'll stop making.. but unluckily for us those casual gamers will probably never bother to come to websites like GR and will never read these articles. They'll just have tunnel vision all the way to the store when they buy MW3. I haven't bought a COD game since the first Modern Warfare. I knew the stunt they were trying to pull, they even did it with Call of Duty 3 a while back! I never bought MW2, W@W and I have no intention whatsoever of buying or even renting CODMW3. Note that I haven't praised BF3.. I'm not a fanboy haha! I'm just hoping BF3 does destroy CODMW3 and then I can finally buy another COD game after they've changed it drastically as a result of being pummelled in sales.
  • centrip - June 30, 2011 8:53 a.m.

LMAO at the screen shot caption - sums my thoughts up perfectly. I want good graphics but I hate blurry vision just because I'm moving the cross hair.
  • papergoon - June 30, 2011 7:05 a.m.

Am I the only one who's stoked for Gears of War 3 instead of these two games?
  • GhostLightning - June 30, 2011 3:51 a.m.

Okay, I think I know the root of this problem. BF# is coming with the new Frosbite 2 engine and CoD:MW3 is staying with the IW4 engine. Now, ppl are implying that because IW is choosing to keep their old engine that this means the game will look, play, and be the same. They also believe that because BF's engine is new, that it will automatically outdate any existing engine. I see how there is a logic in that line of thought. But I''d ask you to do some research. Gears of war, Gears of War 2, and Gears 3 all run on the same engine and the graphical comparison is absolutely stunning if you look at the first game compared to the third. The same is true for GTA IV and Read Dead Redemption. Just because the engine isn't new does not mean the game isn't new. BF3 will be a great looking game on console and PC and from what I've seen so will CoD:MW3. The 60 FPS thing isn't as important as he says (they should just leave the publicity to IW) but his stupidity doesn't define the game. Jus' sayin'.