• Gillespee - November 3, 2011 5:58 a.m.

Wow! What a great read! It makes me think of the in-game conversation I heard with the crooks talking about how the Gotham was going to top Arkham City - Arkham World maybe? The one clue I think you've missed is the real-world exit of Mark Hamill from the series and his role as Joker. (Originally reported, then unconfirmed by him on his twitter feed, then reconfirmed shortly after the game was released: https://twitter.com/#!/HamillHimself/status/126561371197419520) That suggests to me that it's a lot more possible that Joker is really dead (at least for now.) I've wondered if the whole Joker-dying storyline was actually inspired by the fact that they knew they wouldn't be able to use Hamill again. Having played a leading role in the first two games, I think a Joker-break would be a welcome thing. It opens a lot of new story options for Harley and baby as well. Again, there's nothing stopping them from using a Lazarus pit eventually, but my guess would be that he will remain dead throughout game 3. Also, did Clayface die? I assumed he just turned into a puddle. One thing I wondered at the time was if his clay had ruined the Lazarus Pit, polluted it or something.
  • linorn - November 3, 2011 5:56 a.m.

I thought the end of Arkham City Stories Wonder City part 3 detailed the reason why Amusement Mile is underwater: "Ra's returned in need of his old Lazarus Pit. As his forces began the mining process, the streets above collapsed, but Ra's forced them to keep digging." Great article btw. Would love to see a similar article about the hints in Arkham Asylum that have been fulfilled in City!
  • GR_DavidHoughton - November 3, 2011 6:09 a.m.

That's a good point actually. For some reason I hadn't put the two together. But yeah, that could well be the earthquake explained. I reckon it could well be a foreshadowing of a bigger disaster in Arkham 3 though. I'll make an amendment.
  • CosmoCroft - November 3, 2011 5:55 a.m.

I think (and hope) Rocksteady are going to make a Catwoman sequel. Why would they bother with making such an amazing and completely different to Batman engine. Just for fun. She isn't even necessary to the story if you don't have her DLC (apart from rescuing Batman but that could be taken by Robin or Nightwing easily). Robin practically used the same engine as Batman which makes sense because he was trained by Batman. I doubt Rocksteady is just going to let Catwoman's engine go to waste. And, if you visit the Courthouse as Catwoman and talk to Calendar man he talks about her birthday and if she is expecting anything from her father (expected to be Falcone). Then he says he'll see her next year. Also if you visit Mr.Freeze after you rescue his wife she talks about stealing something in Egypt. It's possible
  • Bexster - November 3, 2011 4:51 a.m.

Good article. I saw that pregnancy test and didn't get any Harley and Baby over the credits. I'm slightly disappointed.
  • GR_DavidHoughton - November 3, 2011 5:32 a.m.

Did you scan it in with the environmental scanner? I THINK you might have to do that.
  • GhostbustTyler - November 3, 2011 4:49 a.m.

I was about to say you forgot Hush... but it seems as though literally everyone has said ti before me. Amazing article Dave! Figured a lot of this out myself from playing it non stop, but some bits were new to me.
  • emeraldphoenix7 - November 3, 2011 4:45 a.m.

Red Hood would be awesome in Arkham 3, but he had better be voiced by Neil Patrick Harris like in the recent animated movie. I also hope that we get some more obscure villains in the next one, though, as I loved Mad Hatter in City, and they've kind of exhausted most if their A-list villains.
  • Luke Brown - November 3, 2011 6:59 a.m.

NPH voiced Nightwing in Under the Red Hood. Red Hood was the other brother from Supernatural.
  • rapmasterRH - November 3, 2011 4:32 a.m.

I think you did a nice job here. It's obvious a lot of research was done. I think you're right to on most point but as big000 said you forgot about Hush. I could see him being a major character in a sequel if the game was to to take a different direction than the one you put forth. Also Killer Croc will probably appear. He was way to under used in the 1st game and the slight appearance in arkham city with his electrical collar removed leads me to assume an appearance in a sequel would be very likely. Personally I'd kinda like to see a much older Batman be used in the sequel. A man who doesn't know if things are worth fighting for anymore. All he seems to do is throw criminals away and then they come back worse than ever. Maybe the next game could be Batman's final debut. He might finally give up the cowl and cape. Also if the game was set later on, maybe Joker's son could make an appearance. All that aside I'd like to see two things Batman related in the future: One would be a Batman Beyond styled game. Another thing I'd love to see is a huge brawl between Bane, Killer Croc, Solomon Grundy and Batman. I know it sounds stupid but it would be so cool to see though.
  • GR_DavidHoughton - November 3, 2011 4:41 a.m.

Yeah, I think we're definitely going to see a weary and defeated-feeling Batman as part of Arkham 3. He's hinted at his tiredness in Arkham City, and while I don't think we're going to get a Dark Knight Returns level of time jump, but I do think things are definitely going to take their toll on him.
  • spencertucksen - November 4, 2011 2:33 a.m.

But hey....rocket-boots. You can't tell me that if they got the mechanics right and decent controls for the flight, that you WOULDN'T be super excited.
  • big000 - November 3, 2011 4:16 a.m.

You guys forgot that Hush transformed into Bruce Wayne and escaped to Gotham. Batman then said he will chase Hush down after he's finished with Arkham City
  • BIOSback - November 3, 2011 4:36 a.m.

Wow, I can't believe they forgot one of the most obvious villains.
  • GR_DavidHoughton - November 3, 2011 4:48 a.m.

Good point. Don't know how that one slipped through the net. But yes, consider Hush added to the list on page 3. He is in. Yes.