• Naxirian - March 8, 2014 4:12 a.m.

EVE Online. If you die whilst you're in a ship, that ship is gone permanently, along with everything equipped to it, and in it's cargo hold. In addition, if you then lose your escape pod, you lose all the implants you had plugged in to your body. On top of that, if your clone isn't "up to date", you also lose skill points, which are accrued in real time in EVE. In EVE, you could expect to lose anywhere from an hour or so to a year of work when you die. It's brutally unforgiving, and it's in a game world where players can kill you, anywhere, for any reason. Even in the so called "safe" areas.
  • donny-parker - March 30, 2014 6:02 p.m.

Eve online is the only game that I have feared death in in ages
  • sewercat - July 5, 2014 1:32 p.m.

Dying in eve, especially when you're just starting out is devastating. Since you're paying for the subscription dying in game hurts your real world bank account too.
  • kimanderson - February 4, 2014 3:05 p.m.

what Laura explained I am impressed that a mother able to make $4267 in a few weeks on the computer. check this site out >>>>>> C­H­E­C­K­4­­4.­­ℭ­­Oℳ
  • GoldenIce0 - February 4, 2014 7:26 a.m.

There are different gamemodes like in Terraria and Minecraft. Death matters if you make the gamemode in hardcore mode (Same concept with Fire Emblem: Awakening) in both of theses games. In Terraria, if you make your character in hardcore mode, when your character dies it is lost forever... In Minecraft if you make the world in Hardcore mode, the world is locked on hard mode, and you die once, and you will be forced to delete the world....
  • Earthbound_X - February 3, 2014 4:11 p.m.

Once you can start farming Humanity in Dark Souls, death means nothing. Though before that point, yeah, it can be annoying.
  • mani-morie - February 3, 2014 1:07 p.m.

hy gyzz
  • ichigoame - February 1, 2014 6:16 a.m.

how about "sweet home"
  • charles-hillman - January 31, 2014 2:39 p.m.

A game that had terrible graphics but good gameplay and story was "Aiden's Chronicles: The First Mage" for the N64. If a teammate died they were gone for good, if the main character died you had to reload from the last save file. No continues, no chance to regain a lost team member except to restart from a save file made BEFORE they died
  • TheGreyWizard - January 31, 2014 9:27 a.m.

How about Valkyria Chronicles? If a squad member fell on the battlefield, you had 3 turns to send a medic to them or they died. Permanently. That is if an enemy unit didn't reach them first.
  • mafyooz - February 1, 2014 9:12 a.m.

I just bought that today (finally), not lookin forward to it quite as much now given my track record for getting XCOM squads wiped out ;-)
  • Ravenbom - April 2, 2014 2:55 a.m.

Like GreyWizard, I was thinking about Valkyria Chronicles as well. Not only that, there's a graveyard you can visit and dialogue will pop up when you visit. mafyooz, to be fair, I wouldn't worry about death too much, since there's usually a set of goals (which is really just a set of ways to fail) like you have to beat the mission in less than X amount of turns, or this thing can't be allowed to reach this point. SO, I actually think this ends up being a good thing because instead of rage quitting like I might in X-COM and Fire Emblem you fail the mission and have to start over anyways. IIRC, it has been a long time since I played it. I remember thinking that this turned out to be a great thing since I could treat it as a learning experience and try new things, try and find secret routes. I think because they focused so much on story and you have some direct agency in the fps parts, it doesn't really get tedious. (With the big exception of level grinding, because you can only replay certain missions to grind out levels)
  • Baz - January 31, 2014 9:02 a.m.

in most online games death is nearly always cheapened by respawn. whether it come at a cost or not respawn means that death is inevitable but isn't a problem.
  • marcus-paul-bevan - January 31, 2014 4:46 a.m.

Let's not forget State of Decay. You get to watch your character or an equally important one like say "Doc" get killed and they are gone forever ... Reset.
  • mafyooz - January 30, 2014 11:47 p.m.

I don't know if it's just a problem I'm having but since the site revamp these slideshow articles have stopped loading properly (I'm using Firefox if that makes a difference), it just shows the article title, followed by the preview panels (which are blank) then the comments. They work fine on my phone though :)
  • avery78 - January 31, 2014 1:15 p.m.

Are you using Avast? if so make sure social networks are allowed on this site. If they are blocked it will not show the pics.
  • GoldenEagle1476 - January 30, 2014 5:14 p.m.

Unless it was just a bug, you still lose $2000 from your bank whenever you die in GTA Online.
  • christopher-gardiner - January 30, 2014 1:35 p.m.

I made it to the end of the hardcore mode in ZombiU, but I ended up fucking up and dying RIGHT INFRONT OF THE ESCAPE HELICOPTER, I WAS SO CLOSE!! It was hard to get there, I had to memorize the EXACT position of EVERY Zombie in the game and What Type of Zombie it was. Even though I didn't beat the game on Hardcore mode, that run got me on the top of the daily leaderboards, so FUCK YES!
  • universaltofu - January 30, 2014 1:22 p.m.

'Death is but a door, time but a window, I'll be back' Good list, I always appreciate games that have a death mechanic that carries some weight.
  • Cyberninja - January 30, 2014 11:57 a.m.

@SupaMcnugget same, I also can't use the reply button
  • Vonter - January 30, 2014 10:56 a.m.

Well it's not thaat bad, but A Link Between Worlds takes away rented items when you die. In hero mode at the beginning especially one needs to be cautious with how much you're carrying. I died from one hit just two screens from the item shop. That was both embarrassing and sad.