• garnsr - March 19, 2009 9:47 p.m.

God, I hated Shadow of the Beast.
  • dibber - March 19, 2009 9:44 p.m.

Great article. Made me want to rush over to OCRemix and grab some remixes from these games. Reading about the FZero GX music made me remember how much I really liked the original F-Zero's "Red Canyon" stage soundtrack. I confess to putting a cassette recorder up next to my stereo speaker to dub that to tape.
  • Zaphers - March 19, 2009 9:41 p.m.

Die Hard Trilogy was great. The song strangely reminds me of what is love now.
  • dynomit272 - March 19, 2009 9:24 p.m.

got to have the Zebrahead only version of His World from Sonic the Hedgehog (next gen.) Amazing song but this is an amazing list
  • averagejoe - March 19, 2009 9:20 p.m.

You know, I think my favorite soundtrack of all time (second maybe to JGR/JSRF) is actually the soundtrack to Sonic Advance on the GBA. The track for 2-1 is just fantastic for a handheld, and the piano solo in stage 1 of the casino world was one of the first solos I ever transcribed. I've always had a soft spot for the music of sonic games; even the overly synthy, cheesy stuff they put in the 3-d sonics. I did a tribute to Sonic Team's ridiculously synth-heavy music here, by the way: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grubX3aOiTg Apart from that, I liked GX's soundtrack a lot, as well as (of course) the mega man II soundtrack. I'll occasionally put on the soundtrack to Bust-a-groove II if I think nobody's around to hear it-- couldn't help but like Kelly's and Bi-O's tunes, weird as they are. Also, the soundtrack for Donkey Kong Country 2 was waaaay better than the (admittedly pretty good) stuff in DKC. Bramble forest? Classic.
  • GamesRadarBrettElston - March 19, 2009 7:50 p.m.

Shadow of the Beast is so effing good. I listened to it every day even before I'd ever played the game or a Turbo CD at all. Just got the music from a friend and wore a tape out rewinding over and over. Plus yeah, BCR is one of the best ever.
  • Theonik - March 19, 2009 7:44 p.m.

Also the metal slug series had a good soundtrack although usually overlooked ReCAPTCHA: September $100,000
  • GR_DavidHoughton - March 19, 2009 7:01 p.m.

That was the brilliant thing about when most games came on CD. You got a game and an album at the same time. :D So much easier than the old days when I had to rig my SNES up to my stereo and use the cassette recorder to make my own. Yes, I really have always been that nerdy about games music. :) Keep the recommendations flowing guys.
  • Russianred90 - March 19, 2009 7 p.m.

my favorite game soundtrack is banjo kazooie just such a friggen awesome xylophone usage FTW
  • GR_DavidHoughton - March 19, 2009 6:34 p.m.

Skidd and Peaceful: I'm totally with you on those two. The best soundtracks are the ones that work out of context. JGR is brilliant sunny day music and Bioshock is seriously relaxing, despite being massively dark in places. Bobby Darrin FTW! (Not a phrase I ever expected to use on Radar)
  • peaceful765 - March 19, 2009 6:25 p.m.

I agree with Skidd777. Although some of these tunes bring back memories, Bioshock and JGR are tracks I would listen to outside of a game.
  • Theonik - March 19, 2009 6:20 p.m.

Plus awesome article i can't believe some of these songs are overlooked. Oh and i guess second and third.