• IAmTheWii - April 23, 2014 9:58 a.m.

"Are you winning?" I played ASCII Roguelikes. In that scenario, nobody wins.
  • gadjo - April 11, 2014 1:11 p.m.

You know, my parents didn't really appreciate video games (my dad did, but only in passing) but do you know who got me into video games? My babysitter, a 35 year old woman who, judging by all the save files, played those games quite often. At the age of four she deemed all of us little scrubs worthy of playing her SNES and massive library of games (we mostly stuck to super Mario all stars/world, yoshi's island, and DKC, though). I never did get to thank her for that.
  • Forsakenday - April 11, 2014 12:59 p.m.

It's funny because my dad got me into gaming playing Duke Nukem and Mario Kart when I was 4. Now he always tries to connect every problem I have with college and work to gaming. Make up your mind, dad.
  • n00b - April 11, 2014 11:50 a.m.

You should take better care of your games no you really should. I always took great care of my games. They were either gifts or i bought them with my own hard earned money. I was always weary and still am about lending out my games and controllers to people because i would take great care when ever i would borrow their but they could care less about mine. SO TAKE BETTER CARE OF YOUR GAMES.
  • seanbidwell - April 11, 2014 10:53 a.m.

I was playing portal, and my Mom walked in. Looked at the TV, walked away confused. I laughed as she left.
  • Bushido25 - April 11, 2014 7:25 a.m.

God i remember my dad walking in and every time saying: "Are you playing the Solid Snake game?" no...this is Metal Gear Solid..."but isn't that the solid snake guy?" yes but that's not the name of the game. "Oh..." I've always been bad about sitting close to the TV, always have to be close to it to "see everything" lol slide 18 definitely not me. i was always obsessed with taking care of my games. if a disc was laying out i would freak!
  • Joco84 - April 11, 2014 5:53 a.m.

Hahaha, quality article. Reminds me exactly of how it was when I was growing up.... "You'll get rickets" "You'll get square eyes" "It's not good for you, you need a bit of fresh air" "You'll break the TV from playing it so much" "How many games do you have?"
  • mafyooz - April 11, 2014 4:01 a.m.

Me and a friend were recently chatting about how our kids seem to spend even more time playing video games of some description than we did as kids in the 80s, rather than going out and playing with their friends. At first we were saying that it was a bad thing, then we started to reminisce about some of the shit we actually got up to (using building sites as Sunday playgrounds was a pretty common one as they were generally not fenced off well in our neck of the woods) and decided maybe it wasn't such a bad thing after all.
  • CurryIsGood - April 10, 2014 11:01 p.m.

Yeah my parents also told me to sell my games all the time as a kid. Unfortunately I also listened to them so I have a Gamecube with no games...
  • james-liu - April 10, 2014 9:38 p.m.

#12 HAIL HYDRA.
  • theguyinthecloset - April 10, 2014 9:07 p.m.

"Today's games these days"? lol.
  • GOD - April 10, 2014 8:22 p.m.

This article is a glorious reenactment of my life. The only slide I contest with is "Take better care of your games" because you actually should. Everything else is spot and grating on the ears to even think about. I'll probably hear one of them tonight...
  • GOD - April 10, 2014 8:29 p.m.

Also I'd like to add the scenario of: "Why are you always killing/shooting people?" which is then followed when I'm playing a different game on another day by: "Isn't that game for kids?" So either the game is always too violent, or too childish, but it can never be something that's not wrong for me to play. There's just no pleasing you! Clearly I should just give into how I'm supposed to lead a mature life.... watching trashy reality TV and bad sitcoms (Big Ba- *vomits before finishing*)
  • ray-paik - April 10, 2014 7:19 p.m.

You'll never make money playing games she said You should invest your time to increase your skills she said Now I work at NCSOFT and make more money than my average friends. Ha! in your face mom! (Luv u mom)
  • WolfMaster83 - April 10, 2014 6:17 p.m.

I used to always hear that games tore up tvs. To this day i still cant tell her different.
  • homestar99 - April 10, 2014 5:42 p.m.

STOP DESCRIBING THE LAST FOUR YEARS OF MY LIFE!!!!!!!!!!
  • daniel-scott - April 10, 2014 5:41 p.m.

I agree with my dad that the older games were a lot harder. I play everything on the hardest difficulty nowadays myself just to make them last longer. Mass Effect was a breeze on Insanity, and Dark Souls isnt hard at all if you have patience. Hell the game saves for you and you even get unlimited lives/continues instead of having to restart from the beginning of the game cause you ran out of lives. And re-gen health in shooters? What about glowy arrows holding your hand showing you where to go? Far Cry 3 play way better when you remove all the current gen gaming threads like the compass, mini map and arrow spotting as an example.
  • Glycerin50 - April 10, 2014 5:30 p.m.

I actually treated my games as fine china. My boxes were stored in a safe place, a place to look at them without harming them. Same goes for the disc, dont ever... Ever... EVER scratch my discs
  • Trollkitten - April 10, 2014 5:20 p.m.

"Any easier and I might as well let the cat play"? Well, this trollkitten knows where SHE stands in the big scheme of things!
  • patbateman17 - April 10, 2014 5:13 p.m.

Yeah, at least my parents eventually left me alone. Now I hear some of these from my wife, who grew up in an Eastern European country dirt poor. So I feel like a real shit heel spending any amount of money on videogames :\ Also I can never, ever let her watch me play Dishonored, GTA5 or Hotline Miami because then I'm just a degenerate. Naturally she walked in on the 30 second sex scene that came out of nowhere in Red Dead Redemption. Damnit videogames, stop making it worse!