• BladedFalcon - October 2, 2013 4:03 p.m.

This list feels less like "laziest pokemon designs" and more like "Worst pokemon designs" to me. I mean I agree a lot of these look stupid, but they aren't necessarily lazy in design. Specially when you guys leave out way lazier designs such as "Magneton" Who is, like dugtrio, essentially nothing but a bunch of pokemon of the same type glued together. Or heck, you could say the same about the recently revealed Doublade, the evolution of honedge, which is esentially two honedges stuck together and recolored pink >_>
  • shawksta - October 4, 2013 7:43 p.m.

Speaking of Doublade, it has another evolution, which it redeemed itself http://i.imgur.com/dAILA2N.png?1 It has 2 forms, a shield form and a blade form
  • BladedFalcon - October 4, 2013 9:06 p.m.

Ehhhh... At least it's not just THREE honedges cobbled together, but I'm not a fan of this design. Also, I'm almost positive I'm not going to use him anyway. I saw the stats Doublade had in the leaks. He had an insane defense stat, but also a dismal speed stat. I don't roll with pokemon like that. Unless his final blade form upped his speed considerably, I don't think I'd ever use him, and even then, I'd have to see if it'd be worth the trouble to evolve him that far by using it's first two slow-ass evolutions :P
  • shawksta - October 5, 2013 9:51 a.m.

True, Duoblade is more of a Slow Physical Wall. Who knows what Aegislash(Thats his name) will be, maybe his forms will switch around his stats and the blade form is fast, i guess we'll see, even though your not making the trouble XD
  • BladedFalcon - October 5, 2013 10:16 a.m.

It's just, I've never liked slow pokemon, usually because they tend to have only high defense in one stat, and low or average at best in the other, making them very easy to take down if you exploit their weaknesses. And in this case, it doesn't look like Aegislash will be one of those Pokemon that reach their final form before level 40, which is why I don't think I'll bother. 'sides, I already know I'll have Greninja, TalonFlame, Tyrantrum and hawlucha in my roster, the other two spots have to be filled with pokemons that cover my current weaknesses, so probably someone that is electric, ground, psychic and poison, or a combination of those. (Unless Tyrantrum can learn earthquake, in which case I can do without a ground Pokemon and rely on him as my electricity killer instead.)
  • shawksta - October 5, 2013 7:29 p.m.

Its definitely understandable, speed can become an asset. If your getting Y, you can get Skrelp, that Water/Poison, it evolves into dragalge http://i.imgur.com/BOMeD6m.jpg Its not confirmed WHAT its typing is for some reason, but people are speculating it might be Poison/Dragon(especially with that name) while others think its most likely still Poison/Water
  • BladedFalcon - October 5, 2013 8:41 p.m.

Hmm, Interesting. Honestly, I wasn't very interested in skrelp, but dragalge looks cool, and if he IS Dragon/Poison, he could be an asset. We'll see, I suppose. Also, I'm a little disturbed by the lack of Electric type pokemon shown so far, aren't you? if memory serves, the only one I'm aware about is helioptile and his evolution. I really do hope that's not the only one XD
  • shawksta - October 6, 2013 3:20 a.m.

First off, it's been confirmed Poison/Dragon so NICE, but I'm still getting X, I guess ill get it from a trade. I've been making sure I don't see Clauncher and other pokemon's evos till I see them myself in game :3 Welll we have the helioptile line, Dedenne aka the Pikachu clone of this gen that happens to be part fairy, Technically Mega Ampharos. Even then, there aren't a balanced amount of every type, but Fairy is most likely dominant.
  • BladedFalcon - October 6, 2013 8:04 a.m.

Well, you can always trade it with me if you want ^^ so long as one is willing to wait for the other to reach a certain point in then game to make such trades XD And yeaaaah... I didn't even count Dedenne, considering he has no known evolution, and his stats are most likely mediocre at best. That, and I refuse to use obvious pikachu rip-offs just out of principle. Actually, I'd say there's also a LOT of Dragon types this time around, more than in any other gen, and there's also a lot of flying types, although I won't complain about those :3
  • shawksta - October 6, 2013 10:46 a.m.

Yeah sure, I would like that :D. Anything is better than the GTS, stupid level 1 legendaries and cofagrigus's name not being allowed. Negotiations was much better but it's still random. Yeah I notice, more dragons despite the fairies. I heard there's a cute small blob that happens to be dragon type, I'm looking forward to what it'll be and DAMN straight on the Flying types. I saw a picture of this one Pokemon, it's essentially two bobbit worms in a barnacle. People were making fun of it's face and it in general but I like it and hope it turns out viable, maybe even have an evolution but I'm saving that for myself. http://pokebeach.com/news/0913/binacle.jpg Eh, who knows, pachirisu was a neat fast attacker and moves like super fang that cuts the current HP in half is useful. Emolga was pretty f*cking annoying in the elisa battle in Black/White, who knows what Dedenne has in store other than being part fairy, they are all mediocre I'm general but still.
  • BladedFalcon - October 6, 2013 11:13 a.m.

Y'know, I already pretty much spoiled most of the Pokemon reveals for myself, despite Nintendo's best efforts, my curiosity was too much ^^; All I'll say about Binacle, is that yeah, he's funky looking, but I don't think he'll be useless... if that's your kind of thing of course, never been a fan of rock/water pokemon, nothing worse than being super susceptible to the most lame element of the game (Yeah, i said it, Grass sucks.) But yeah, the only problem I have is that most of the pokemon I like have similar typing XD And I usually don't like to repeat... but what the hell, they say the game is not going to be very hard anyway XD Anyway, yeah! count on it! as soon as I get the game, and know I can trade (And know the name of my ID and such) I'll PM it to you so we can trade or even battle and such ^^ I'm usually not one to battle online and whatnot, but what the hell, should be fun (:
  • shawksta - October 6, 2013 2:41 p.m.

Eh, most grass type moves are mediocre, the exceptions are little, which shows why it sucks, its useful when it is, otherwise they havent gotten anything. I spoiled myself as well, atleast for me i keep boundaries on not knowing some of the pokemon im interested in's evolutions, otherwise its not really gonna ruin the fun. Hell, people are constantly finding new Mega Evolutions, like Gengar and Gardevoir. Great to hear, no rush, take your time :)
  • BladedFalcon - October 6, 2013 4:22 p.m.

I just think both Grass and bug types are way too susceptible to a lot of stuff, and their attacks also have a lot of things that resist them. They have their uses sure, but overall I find them, previously along with poison, to be the bottom tier of elemental types. and well, I really don't care much about mega-evolutions. Not doubt I might end up using them out of curiosity, but overall, I've never been a fan of the idea of them, and so far, most of them mega-evolution feel rather underwhelming to me. And heh, I will ^^ although I think I am probably gonna buy the game digitally trough the e-shop, and start playing it the day it comes out, so maybe we'll see who'll be ready to trade/battle first :P
  • shawksta - October 6, 2013 7:10 p.m.

As far as Bug Types go, they are much more useful than Grass, they just somehow include Physic and Dark to be their effective point but it varies, Bug types in general are a liability in the competitive side because everyone shoves stealth rock everywhere, yet somehow we have Pokemon like Volcarona dominating despite being 4x weak to rock. Speaking of which, Hawlucha, part fighting making him lose his weakness to it, supposedly has a move that does BOTH flying and fighting damage, I don't know how that even works but it's essentially a double type move. Odd description doesn't make it clear. There is a ice type move that is super effective against Water, maybe the previous move is similar to that where it's a flying move but does Fighting damage, it's hard to tell till we try it out. I find the Mega Evolutions neat but eh, I'm only ever gonna use it on my favs, currently Ampharos, dat Dragon typing is gonna be neat. I'm still deciding how the heck I'm getting X, I could go to a store but then again I'm saving money in the Eshop for Ace Attorney 5 anyway. Eh what eventually happens let it befall.
  • BladedFalcon - October 6, 2013 9:25 p.m.

Never used it myself, but doesn't Volcarona have like, incredibly high stats for a non-legendary pokemon? I'm guessing that may be one of the reasons why it's so popular. And huh? that can't be right ._. I don't see how any move could deal two type damage... unless it was like, a dual stroke kind of attack, in which the first is flying and the second is fighting damage? That sounds rather funky and not very useful. But who knows, the idea of certain moves dealing damage to types they usually aren't meant to harm is rather... interesting, but I'm not sure I like it, could threaten to unbalance things. Well... if you're paying roughly the same prince in either a retail store or online, why not just buy it online? There's always a chance that you might not find it in retail. Like many people who were unable to find copies for FE: Awakening on the first days it had come out... Meanwhile, I was happily playing it the midnight of the day it had come out, and i live in Mexico >:3
  • shawksta - October 6, 2013 10:44 p.m.

It does, 3 stats are around 100 in base. But still, its movepool is what made it shine as well as the stats, it was a neat site seeing a typing that would be considered horribly typed be fantastic. People are still throwing off Charizard but Mega Y and X is hopefully fixing it. The move is called Flying Press and someone used it on a rock type, and it basically did neutral damage, i think in general its for the Double STAB (Same Type Attack Boost). Freeze Dry on the other hand is basically an Ice Type move, but if it hits a Water Type, will be Super Effective, that atleast makes sense and a good counter for Water types by Ice pokemon. They always have copies of games that have massive appeal, but honestly i want to try buying the game online. I did it with Brain Age Concentration Training (I havent played that game since god knows when, im scared to go back fearing what the Doctor would say about my absence XD) and a shit load of Eshop games. So ill consider it, and besides i have an issue with constantly losing my Pokemon White so itll be a relief to have a way NOT to lose it and have inside the 3DS.
  • BladedFalcon - October 7, 2013 7:51 a.m.

Heh, as long as you don't lose your 3DS :P *rimshot* And hm... that flying press attack does sound intriguing if that's the way it works. Though sneaky bastards probably chose that type combination on purpose because those two types overlap and cancel many of their advantages, bug and rock to be specific, still, if it really does give you double STAB then it could be worthwhile... as long as the base attack damage is higher than 60, otherwise it won't be as useful. and eh, I dunno, frankly charizard has the problem of being a starter pokemon, all of them inevitably suffer from mediocre stats for late game competition. And I'm unsure that mega-evolutions will improve that TOO much XD
  • shawksta - October 7, 2013 1:11 p.m.

Luckily I take care of my 3DS, it's when my sneaky sister gets my 3DS when I worry, but she knows her boundaries. Flying Press is 80 base damage, STAB is %50 of the damage, so assuming the Double STAB doesn't count for each other but the move itself, were looking at a free Super Effective on Neutral Damage. Mediocre? It depends,, the starters are pretty tough, it's just the playstyle, what stats are high and the typing that matters but some do fall short sometimes, Serperior has the speed of sceptile, and the defences near Meganium's but has a very poor moveset attacking wise and such. Charizard is pretty dangerous, it's just his typing is easily exploitable otherwise his attacking stats are pretty high and megas improve them a bit but in due time we'll see what'll happen, I for one am choosing Vensaur anyway, he's bulky and and Mega makes him even more bulky. To each their own, that's the best part of Pokemon :D
  • BladedFalcon - October 7, 2013 2:38 p.m.

Heh... the perks of being the youngest son is that I never had to worry about siblings taking or erasing my stuff :D and wow, 80 damage? ._. ...There has to be a catch, lemme guess, it's accuracy is less than 90, right? no way that move can have so many benefits without a catch >> And eh, I dunno, I actually tend to seem them as good, rounded pokemon, but not really excelling at anything, even when they have specialized stats. Take Charizard for example, good as his attack and SP attack is, compare it to someone like Chandelure or volcarona, and despair :P And yeah, the beauty of pokemon is that so much variety with pokemons mean everyone gets their own picks, and find redeemable values to different kind of pokemon.... Except Luvdisc, no one finds luvdisc worthwhile... I hope.
  • shawksta - October 7, 2013 5:33 p.m.

There is no catch, other than the fact that Hawlucha is the only Pokemon to have Double STAB benefit, think of it as a signature move. If anything, the only catch is his own Attack stat not being really high, but we'll see, the calculations of damage varies to a Pokemon's attack stat and the opposing Pokemon's defensive stat. There's word another move called Light Ray is Electric/Grass, but we don't have enough confirmation, and there was a rumor Solar Beam was changed into Fire/Grass but so far it's not confirmed even in the slightest. It varies as said, for example, Typhlosion has the same exact stats as Charizard but because of exclusive moves like Eruption and not being part flying, people put him in higher tiers than Charizard but your right for the most part, compared to more powerful Pokemon it's not much. Luvdisc was frankly used as the only way to get heart scales in gen 3, it's useless now, even if they gave it a Water/Fairy typing, it still wouldn't be good. Gamefreak has a problem with that, certain Pokemon were made for no other purpose other than to be jokes or cant abuse anything. Luvdisc is right next to Farfetch and Spinda as well as the biggest troll Gamefreak ever did, by giving Shedinja Trump Card. Trump Card's damage is equal to the number of HEALTH you have, now put in mind what kind of Pokemon Shedinja even is and you have a whopping 1 damage.
  • BladedFalcon - October 7, 2013 5:40 p.m.

...But, I thought I had heard Hawlucha stats were actually very focused on both attack AND Speed, which fits very nicely into my playstyle. Have you seen hawlucha stats for yourself yet? I tried, but I only heard them being mentioned. I wouldn't consider Typhlosion to be very high tier either. Again, not bad pokemon, but for competitive play, they aren't specialized enough. Even if they suddenly bumped it's stats to 999, luvdisc would STILL be useless. Enough said. And yeah... which I resent, actually. Because Farfetch'd happens to be my favorite Pokemon, design-wise. So the fact that gameplay-wise he's pretty much useless irks me to no end.
  • shawksta - October 7, 2013 7:37 p.m.

Im just saying that would be the only catch. The pictures showing his stats were around level 20 or so, but his attack and speed were his selling points. As far as Competitive play goes, Typhlosion is more intact for his Eruption, a move only given to 5 Pokemon, which does massive damage when your HP is at full health and it helps that Typhlosion's selling point is his SPecial Attack stat and his Speed. His Dream World Ability is to be Flash Fire, which gives immunity to any Fire Attack and boosts fire type attacks by %50, but he hasnt been available yet, along with other Starters, maybe X and Y will have distribution (and maybe with Mega's to heh). While the tiers vary, the pokemon in said tiers dominate. Otherwise we have Chandelure in higher tiers dominating with Flash Fire. Same here, Delibird especially, it was just meant to be designed like Santa clause and thats it, and i loved its design. Apparently people are finding even more Mega's. That Soccer minigame in Super Training generates random Pokemon Balloons to fight and most recently people found one that said "Tyranitar Balloon" but the balloon itself is different and actually looks like a Mega form of Tyranitar.
  • BladedFalcon - October 7, 2013 9:31 p.m.

Yay! promising news for hawlucha then! :D And eh, I suppose that does gives typhlosion an edge. again though, I dunno, I remember picking him as my starter for when I played SoulSilver, and he started fine, but once I was above lvl 40, I felt he was falling behind my more specialized team consisting of Starmie, Heracross, Glizor, Crobat and so on. So I dumped him. Yeah... what the hell is the point of making such useless pokemon gameplay-wise? aside from the fact that they can't all be winners I guess... Look, give me Mega Farfecth'd or give me nothing at all, is all I'm saying :P
  • shawksta - October 2, 2013 3:52 p.m.

I dont care what people think, Garbodor is my childhood dream come true. You cant kill my dream no matter what. and frankly Muk should be on this list. Speaking of which, granbull and Snubbul being called the "Fairy" pokemon makes it seen obvious it should be half fairy now, though its weird it hasnt been confirmed. Luvdisk is literally useless
  • BladedFalcon - October 2, 2013 3:57 p.m.

My problem with Garbodor isn't so much that he's made of trash, that in itself I actually think it's cool. What really turns me off about him are those stupid mickey mouse ears, they really feel out of place for me XD
  • shawksta - October 2, 2013 6:42 p.m.

Yeah they do look stupid, but ive grown into him so much that without the Ears he just wouldnt be the same 0_0
  • BladedFalcon - October 2, 2013 8:02 p.m.

Lol, fair enough XD
  • Frieza - October 2, 2013 3:48 p.m.

Why the heck isn't Beartic on this list? You guys complain about a Pokémon looking more like a cartoon than an actual Pokémon more than once on this list, and yet Bearic is the most cartoony of all of them! I mean look at it! It looks like it belongs on a Saturday Morning Cartoon rather than a Pokémon game. Just look t it's eyes, it's head, it's proportions... I can't be the only one who sees it. And what about Sawk and Throh? I mean seriously, they look like they're puppets from Sesame Street rather than Pokémon. Maybe they USED to live on Sesame Street, but they were kicked out for being too violent? And since they were unemployed, they got a job in the Pokémon universe?... @2: Spot on with Dedenne. This trope of the electric rodent has got to stop. It's so old and unappealing at this point. While I don't have a big problem with Dedenne itself (even though it looks like Pikachu and Raichu used the Potara Earings to bring it into existence), the trope needs to die. At least for a couple generations. And when it returns, actually make the Pokémon useful... Or at least evolve... @5: I always thought Dewgong resembled more like a real life animal than Seel. @6: I would love to know what GF was thinking when the made Luvdisc. Usually weak Pokémon have a special gimmick like Delibird's present move or Magikarp evolving into Gyrados but... Luvdisc is just worthless. Plain and simple. There's no reason for why it exists. Just none... @7: Well, Bunnelby looks a lot better than half of Gen V, even if he does look more like a cartoon. Although he can't compare to Sentret and Furret! @8: Having played Pokémon since Gen I, I have never EVER noticed Stantler's antlers looking like evil eyes! How the heck did I miss that!? @9: The thing that rubs me the wrong way with Gurdurr is the question of how he got that I-beam he always carries. Isn't that a man-made product? How the heck did he get it in the wild? Did he steal it from a construction site? Did the piece of wood he carried somehow evolve as well? Other Pokémon have this problem as well, most notably Hitmonchan. But you couldn't find Hitmonchan in the wild, and could only get him through the Dojo. So maybe he got them there... But then there's the subject of Machoke and Machamp, who have the power belts. I would say their trainers give them the belts, but you can find Machoke in the wild... Where did he get the belt? Hmm... @11: He may not be well designed, but Cofagrigus kicks ass competitively! That fact alone has made me warm up to him a little... @12: Smashing! @13: To be fair, Fearow is actually stronger than Pidgeot in the competitive scene. At least from my experience. Although Pidgeot kicks major ass. Not competitively, but in general. @15: I'm sure that Druddigon was made by one of the designer's kids, and was put into the game because he wanted to make his kid feel special. @16: Oh Exeggutor... Can someone explain to me why its part psychic? I just don't see it... @17: ...Why? Why ice cream? Just why? Out of all the things you can draw inspiration from, why ICE CREAM!? I mean, I guess it could have been cool if they weren't so LAZY about the design! I mean, making it look exactly like an ice cream cone?... Which came first: the dessert or the Pokémon? @18: "We have the feeling that Quagsire would fit in better on a Saturday morning cartoon than as a competitor in the violent world of Pokémon." He could be best friends with Beartic in their very own cartoon show! @20: KILL IT WITH FIRE!!!!! KILL IT!!!! "Um, actually, Poison isn't weak to fire. You should use Psychic or Ground moves to take down a Poison type Pokémon!" ... KILL IT WITH PSYCHIC!!! @21: I have a theory regarding Voltorb. I think that it's actually a Gastly possessing a Poke Ball, since both are round Pokémon and Lavender Town is near the Power Plant... Anyway, good list. Thankfully Gen VI is looking a lot better than Gen V, so I hope we won't be seeing many more Pokémon added to this list!
  • JarkayColt - October 2, 2013 4:02 p.m.

Actually, the reason why Luvdisc exists, or rather, Luvdisc's gimmick, is that it was the primary way to obtain Heart Scales. In other words, Luvdisc served to provide Heart Scales. This role is made slightly redundant in future generations because there are more ways to obtain them now, but in Gen III, you had to farm them from Luvdisc.
  • Frieza - October 2, 2013 4:12 p.m.

Really? That's interesting. I completely forgot that Heart Scales existed in Gen III. It's probably because I never touched the Pokémon that I never knew it was used for that purpose.
  • Frieza - October 2, 2013 4:08 p.m.

Oh, and here are a few other Pokémon that could make this list: Weedle: He's a worm with a horn on his head. That's it. Golbat: While this line holds a dear place in my heart, Golbat is a strange Pokémon. I mean look at it: 90% of it's body is its mouth. Where does it's organs go? Bellsprout: He's a... plant... flower... thing... and while I'm talking about flowers... Sunflora: It's a sunflower. Actually, it's less impressive than a sunflower. Sunflowers are tall. Sunflora isn't. Unown: They're letters. That's it. And they're worthless in battle. Patrat: This Pokémon... Is just not fun. Not a good follow up to one of the greatest Pokémon of all time, Bidoof.
  • Jake Magee - October 2, 2013 5:08 p.m.

Hey, thanks for your insight! Glad we're (mostly) on the same page.
  • JarkayColt - October 2, 2013 3:17 p.m.

Hmm. Not sure what to think of this list. There's a difference between a design being 'lazy' and one that's 'nonsensical'. Personally, I would not have put Gurrdurr, Vullaby, Probopass, Fearow, Druddigon, Exeggutor, Quagsire or Garbodor on this list because the issue isn't really with laziness/generic design. Also, I would have replaced Luvdisc with Alomomola, because whilst having one heart-shaped fish is fine, two is not, so Alomomola is the one at fault. I would have thought more Pokémon like Dugtrio, such as Electrode, Weezing, Muk, Magneton etc that are just bigger/multiple versions of the previous things are the least inspired. Gen one had so many stinkers in hindsight (even Gastly->Haunter-> Gengar is pretty uninspired). Also, don't forget Marill when you're talking about Pikachu clones. It was even called Pikablu for a time.
  • winner2 - October 2, 2013 2:58 p.m.

Can y'all update this after x/y? I think Stantler takes the cake for me here, but talonflame or whatever the fuck might give it competition. I do like quagasire's derp face though.
  • Frieza - October 2, 2013 3:50 p.m.

What's wrong with Talonflame? I think it looks pretty cool.
  • winner2 - October 2, 2013 3:52 p.m.

Well when I look at it, I just see an animated cardinal/falcon hybrid with a striped tail sadly
  • Frieza - October 2, 2013 4:15 p.m.

Fair enough. I can see where you're coming from. Not everyone can like every design, I suppose. A difference in taste. That's what makes this world so magnificent.
  • BladedFalcon - October 2, 2013 3:56 p.m.

Hey, no frontin' on my favorite new Pokemon so far! :P Just because it might look a lot like a real animal doesn't automatically become a lazy design, specially when the details that DO change are aesthetically sound, like those bad-ass flames.
  • GOD - October 2, 2013 2:55 p.m.

I agree with half of these. The other half seem to reaching..... Gurdurr for instance is perfectly fine and only lacks a better name. Meanwhile Ekans is just a normal snake with it's name as "snake" backwards. At least Seel has an added horn and is clearly named after the Singer not the animal. :P
  • duffer00 - October 2, 2013 2:47 p.m.

Freaking vanillish.
  • shawksta - October 8, 2013 10:18 a.m.

As said with Pokemon varying, to each their own. Some pokemon can be used to their extent to a certain degree, as long as they stay in their respective tiers. Dunsparce for example is one of the best Paraflincher's who abuses his Serene Grace ability. Just Paralyze the Foe, then headbutt them to oblvion to which they have a %60 of flinching, if not, being paralyzed and cant hit you. Its a troll tactic >:D Lets hope he does get that Mega, he has his own item which happens to be a stick, and it boosts his critical hit ratio but his defence is too mediocre that he wouldnt survive enough without a Focus Sash.