• BladedFalcon - March 11, 2014 10:42 a.m.

" the way Samantha kicks back against society and the will of her parents is something to be admired." ...So making reckless, short sighted decisions brought out of rebellion and passion rather than true conviction, commitment or foresight is something to be admired now? Huh.
  • GR_AndyHartup - March 11, 2014 11:13 a.m.

I take it you didn't buy into the romance in Gone Home, then? I totally did. There's little in the game to suggest that Sam and Lonnie's relationship isn't serious. I don't think that escaping from a broken home, with parents who don't acknowledge your life choices shows a lack of foresight. Seems like a perfectly valid decision to me. She clearly wasn't happy at home.
  • BladedFalcon - March 11, 2014 11:32 a.m.

Considering how most of the beats and details of their relationship are a pastiche of cliches and scenarios found in bad Teen movies... No, I did not buy it. Furthermore, their relationship was serious by teenager standards, but it was not a mature one. My problem was not with her escaping home, that's perfectly valid and understandable. My problem is that she turned down a promising education and career opportunity that was on pair with her tastes, in favor of running away with her partner but having no plan whatsoever of what to do next in every other aspect of her life. That's what is shortsighted and reckless.
  • universaltofu - March 11, 2014 11:50 a.m.

Oh man, did you play that game where that girl made a sensible choice about her career path, WHAT AN INSPIRING CHARACTER RIIIGHT
  • Vonter - March 11, 2014 11:57 a.m.

Execution is key either way, and for this game it felt the girl was in an experimentation phase, and at least for me it sounded like she was craving for purpose, but falling in love with a guy will have been more boring I suppose, given how we only hear what happened. The ending I think sums it up, that was an impulsive decision. But oh well I suppose that how affairs usually are. At least after you make something really stupid.
  • Vonter - March 11, 2014 11:57 a.m.

Sorry I meant before doing something stupid. I forget to double check in here.
  • BladedFalcon - March 11, 2014 12:50 p.m.

It should be. If you don't find it inspiring that kind of speaks about your maturity, or lack thereof.
  • universaltofu - March 11, 2014 1:31 p.m.

I don't have much anything at the moment, a giant hovering knight was just dropped off by an eagle and he demolished me so what can I say. Understand that my intended tone is usually lighthearted, I mean no disrespect. Just thinking a video game character needed a le cordon bleu style intervention to go to art school 'you love to draw CALL THEM RIGHT NOW'
  • universaltofu - March 11, 2014 11:39 a.m.

She followed her heart, to the only person that made her feel comfortable in her own skin, and in running away and leaving the house she had GONE HOME. She had the conviction to be herself, the commitment to her own truth, and foresight to know she couldn't go one second longer without Lonnie. Sorry she didn't have a five year itinerary that included offing some zombies, and being a super orphan with survivors guilt.
  • BladedFalcon - March 11, 2014 12:43 p.m.

..."Following your heart" is the cliché, sugarcoated way of saying that you made a decision based purely on emotion without taking anything else into account, like common sense, proper assessment of the future, and whether whatever feeling you're "following" will actually last. Emotions, no matter how strong, are fleeting, sooner or later they banish or recede, and if not backed by a strong foundation of other elements such as trust, compatibility, commitment, patience and communication, (things that need proper time to asses and nurture) then when the emotion or "Passionate love" is gone, then that's when things fall apart. "Following your heart" is the reason why divorce rates are so fucking high nowadays. Because tons of people, specially young and immature ones (like Samantha and Lonnie) marry or go live with other people on impulse rather than properly assessing whether their economical, cultural and personal situations are solid enough to sustain a proper relationship in the long term. I assure you that most people that divorce within a year or two are people that "followed their heart" and didn't think about much else. Also, butthurt much? Not exactly sure what those assertions regarding Ellie have anything to do with what I'm talking about here. And it feels like you mentioned it more because you're pissed that I think Gone Home's romance story was stupid whereas Left Behind's was better realized, and less because it's actually related to the argument at hand.
  • universaltofu - March 11, 2014 12:55 p.m.

You seem butthurt blaming divorce rates on a fictional character like she's your disappointing daughter. The jaded cynicism doesn't help either.
  • BladedFalcon - March 11, 2014 1:31 p.m.

Weak comeback, attacking me while completely missing the point of my argument.. I never blamed Divorce rates on a fictional character, I put the blame on where the blame actually is: People. People that have grown coddled in a society that idealizes impulsiveness and risk taking in a dishonest way, and that then refuses to take responsibility on the consequences of said brash decisions. And it's easy to call me jaded and cynical, but once again, you're failing to take into account that i never claimed such ideals where invalid. Jaded Cynicism would have been to flat out said "Love doesn't exist". Instead, what I said is that love is something that has to be nurtured and taken care of in more ways than simply following an impulse or an emotion. I'm sorry if being more realistic and down to earth clips your wings, but this is real life, and real life doesn't work the way fiction, movies and games paint it.
  • vent - March 11, 2014 10:39 a.m.

James Kidd / Mary Read
  • ombranox - March 11, 2014 10:57 a.m.

YES. I'd consider her to be a better character than Sam...
  • winner2 - March 13, 2014 10:11 a.m.

Agreed